Butch Byrd needs the WOF now!!

Helpmenow

20 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Byrd is from my hometown, and he is the reason that I became a Bills fan!

He lived with his family in the apartment complex next to our Williamsville elementary school that we walked to every morning. We ‘played football’ with his boys on the school grounds. They were several years younger than us, so it was more just tossing the ball around.

Times have sure changed since then;

our star corner lived in a modest apartment complex. His punt return for TD was kicked by opposing team QB. On the same play, Bills, punter McGuire (also a LB) was blocking for returns on special teams. 
I still think ‘Byrd’ when I see a Bills uni with # 42.  A great player in the formative years of Bills football. He deserves to be honored. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I've wondered for years what Byrd did that keeps him from the recognition he deserves.  Did Mrs. Wilson agree to sell to the Pegulas only on the condition that they would not put Byrd on the Wall?   

I've been baffled how Edgerson got the nod and not Byrd.  This isn't quite fair to Edgerson - he was better than this, but Edgerson was something like Byrd's Levi Wallace.  

I’ve read in a similar thread in here that Booker would still interact with the Bills a lot as an alumnus while Butch would not.

22 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I've wondered for years what Byrd did that keeps him from the recognition he deserves.  Did Mrs. Wilson agree to sell to the Pegulas only on the condition that they would not put Byrd on the Wall?   

I've been baffled how Edgerson got the nod and not Byrd.  This isn't quite fair to Edgerson - he was better than this, but Edgerson was something like Byrd's Levi Wallace.  

I've no argument against putting Butch Byrd onto the Bills' Wall of Fame... but I also remember Booker Edgerson being a much better player than what's being suggested here...

26 minutes ago, Jamie Mueller said:

I've no argument against putting Butch Byrd onto the Bills' Wall of Fame... but I also remember Booker Edgerson being a much better player than what's being suggested here...

Good player however #42 should be on the wall. 

2 hours ago, Rico said:

I’ve read in a similar thread in here that Booker would still interact with the Bills a lot as an alumnus while Butch would not.

This wouldn't surprise me.   He's been noticeably absent from Bills world, so far as I can recall, for a long time.  I wonder whether he burned bridges with people over one thing or another.  

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

This wouldn't surprise me.   He's been noticeably absent from Bills world, so far as I can recall, for a long time.  I wonder whether he burned bridges with people over one thing or another.  

This relates to a recent topic in our house where my wife is organizing a reunion.  She’s concerned that some  people aren’t interested. I explain that a lot of folks are content to leave the past in the past. I’m one of them.
I maintain contact with a handful of old friends and acquaintances, but have no desire to rekindle ‘friendships’ with people who were merely on the outskirts of some social construct from days gone by.  Let’s ‘catch up’’!  Ummm, no let’s not. 
Doesn’t Edgerson still live in WNY?  
Byrd may be ok with not dwelling on the past and enjoying the now while planning for the future.  I don’t know if the Bills ask WOF prospects if they’re enthusiastic about that recognition, but for all we know Byrd declined the offer.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

This relates to a recent topic in our house where my wife is organizing a reunion.  She’s concerned that some  people aren’t interested. I explain that a lot of folks are content to leave the past in the past. I’m one of them.
I maintain contact with a handful of old friends and acquaintances, but have no desire to rekindle ‘friendships’ with people who were merely on the outskirts of some social construct from days gone by.  Let’s ‘catch up’’!  Ummm, no let’s not. 
Byrd may be ok with not dwelling on the past and enjoying the now while planning for the future.  I don’t know if the Bills ask WOF prospects if they’re enthusiastic about that recognition, but for all we know Byrd declined the offer.

That's an interesting take.  I think some guys dwell on the past.  DeLamleure gives me that impression.   Some guys, like Kelly, live in the present but certainly enjoy the connection to the past.   Other guys just let it go and move on - football is what they did in their 20s, but it's not their current life.  

Whatever the reason, he is a notable absence from the wall. 

On 4/15/2022 at 10:35 AM, Rico said:

Inconceivable, unless it’s a Ralph thing.

I have to think there is something personal behind the scenes that we don’t know that explains this. It’s too obvious he belongs, and it’s been FAR too many years to go by. I hope the Pegula's correct this ASAP. 

Besides being an all-time great player, he was a kind and forgiving man. He and his family lived at a property my mother managed. My sister would babysit their kids and I traded football cards with his son. I watched Bills games in his living room while my sister was sitting his kids.  He came to the door one day dressed in a nice suit. He was talking with my dad and I wanted to show them both a little science fact I had learned that day. If you put equal pressure on an egg from every direction, it will not/cannot  break. Unfortunately, my pressure was less than equal, and I sprayed raw egg all over his suit. 😱

I say he was kind and forgiving…… because I lived to tell that tale. 

Put the man on The Wall. It’s a no-brainier. GET IT DONE! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Jamie Mueller said:

Byrd deserves to be on the wall. No doubt, IMO.  But you are right about Booker.  He deserves to be there, as does Cookie.

There's no need to discredit others when presenting a case for someone else who is worthy.

1 hour ago, SoMAn said:

I'm somewhere in the middle between you and your wife. My best friend today (I'm 65) is still my best friend from kindergarten.  Many of my closest friends I have known for over 40 years. Although we are spread out all over the country we have almost daily contact (email, text, phone calls) and get together at least once a year. Typically several times.

My sister, who maintains Facebook relationships with old friends she hasn't seen or spoken to in years.  If I haven't kept up SOME person-to-person relationship with someone (in person, phone, email, etc) semi regularly over the years, I probably don't need to know what they are up to.

My brother lived in the past, as did a couple of friends who have passed away. They were very unhappy in their current situations and constantly would harp on how great things were, how they were screwed 40 years ago, etc. I don't have a lot of use for that. It's possible to move forward and make new friends without losing contact with your past. At least it seems pretty simple to me.

But if in a reunion situation, I have no problem having a drink with some old friends/acquaintances. Although I find it rare that drink will turn into any sort of renewed active friendship. It has happened, but it's quite rare for me.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Byrd deserves to be on the wall. No doubt, IMO.  But you are right about Booker.  He deserves to be there, as does Cookie.

There's no need to discredit others when presenting a case for someone else who is worthy.

My only knock on Cookie being on the Wall is that he only played three years in Buffalo.  Three great years?  Of course.  But, personally, I'd like to see the Wall celebrate long-tenured Bills - which is why I've always been a huge Schobel advocate and, staying on topic, Byrd.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I'm somewhere in the middle between you and your wife. My best friend today (I'm 65) is still my best friend from kindergarten.  Many of my closest friends I have known for over 40 years. Although we are spread out all over the country we have almost daily contact (email, text, phone calls) and get together at least once a year. Typically several times.

My sister, who maintains Facebook relationships with old friends she hasn't seen or spoken to in years.  If I haven't kept up SOME person-to-person relationship with someone (in person, phone, email, etc) semi regularly over the years, I probably don't need to know what they are up to.

My brother lived in the past, as did a couple of friends who have passed away. They were very unhappy in their current situations and constantly would harp on how great things were, how they were screwed 40 years ago, etc. I don't have a lot of use for that. It's possible to move forward and make new friends without losing contact with your past. At least it seems pretty simple to me.

But if in a reunion situation, I have no problem having a drink with some old friends/acquaintances. Although I find it rare that drink will turn into any sort of renewed active friendship. It has happened, but it's quite rare for me.

The Facebook thing with my wife is what I don’t get. Suddenly, she’s carrying on dialogues every day with some nobody that was in her 2nd grade class picture that she hasn’t had contact with since grammar school. IMO a lot of time is wasted with those relationships. Of course, any of us may have significant others that believe we waste a lot of time at the Stadium Wall speculating about draft picks for which we’ll know the answers in less than two weeks. Touché my dear. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

The Facebook thing with my wife is what I don’t get. Suddenly, she’s carrying on dialogues every day with some nobody that was in her 2nd grade class picture that she hasn’t had contact with since grammar school. IMO a lot of time is wasted with those relationships. Of course, any of us may have significant others that believe we waste a lot of time at the Stadium Wall speculating about draft picks for which we’ll know the answers in less than two weeks. Touché my dear. 

🤣 Exatly

On 4/15/2022 at 9:28 AM, Gugny said:

I have no idea how Cookie made it there.  I'd rather see Byrd and Schobel up there than Cookie and Simpson.

I'd put Cookie and Byrd before Schobel.  

OJ is the greatest Bill ever.  And a scumbag.   I'd rather not see his name anywhere.

51 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My only knock on Cookie being on the Wall is that he only played three years in Buffalo.  Three great years?  Of course.  But, personally, I'd like to see the Wall celebrate long-tenured Bills - which is why I've always been a huge Schobel advocate and, staying on topic, Byrd.

But Cookie's years were transformational - from founding franchise to AFL champions.  I remember Larry Felser trying to convince people that Cookie deserved to be talked about in the same breath as Jim Brown and OJ.  At his peak, he was nearly that good.  

His fiery competitiveness helped turn those early Bills into winners.  And I think his advocacy helped advance the treatment of players of color.  

Fans used to excitedly chant "Lookie, Lookie, Here comes Cookie!"  Nobody ever chanted, "Noble, noble, that's our Schobel!"

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

But Cookie's years were transformational - from founding franchise to AFL champions.  I remember Larry Felser trying to convince people that Cookie deserved to be talked about in the same breath as Jim Brown and OJ.  At his peak, he was nearly that good.  

His fiery competitiveness helped turn those early Bills into winners.  And I think his advocacy helped advance the treatment of players of color.  

Fans used to excitedly chant "Lookie, Lookie, Here comes Cookie!"  Nobody ever chanted, "Noble, noble, that's our Schobel!"

Apparently I was not old enough to fully appreciate Cookie. I’ll take your word for it, as I was more of the age to hear about Cookie after the fact.  I will say, three years seems short, but the earliest formative years for the teams are special and I guess can be viewed like “dog years”. Like Neil Armstrong, you get special recognition for being special first. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.