TSW Mock Draft Buffalo Bills Poll - Who should the Bills take at 57? ***Poll closing at 8p est 4/3/22

Virgil

Who should the Bills take at 52?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the Bills take at 52?

• Kenneth Walker, RB, Mich St (44)
    • Tyler Smith, OL, Tulsa (Soph) (47)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/04/2022 at 12:02 AM

11 minutes ago, Magnum Force said:

Who is your 2nd choice beyond Woolen

With this board and without being able to trade, it's Walker and no one else is close.

To be clear, I'm not advocating for double dipping at CB as a strategy, merely that that's the best course of action in this particular situation.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Personally I still think round 2 is high for Woolen. And I was a guy talking about him before he blew up the combine when I definitely thought he was being overlooked. 

I get the argument about physical potential and traits, I do, and I see the argument of him being a Beane type in that regard. But there are big flaws that need correcting on the tape. And they are the sort of flaws McDermott hates: 1. He is not a particularly good tackler, especially in run support; 2. He plays with his back to the Quarterback way too often. He is the sort of guy I can well imagine Beane and Gaine and whoever else is calling the shots now having a 2nd on and when McDermott, Frazier and Butler watch the film he gets bumped down. 

I was pretty much with you on McDuffie, I wouldn't say hated, but it was not a pick I liked. But I am just more wary of Woolen. He is kind of a lottery ticket for me. He probably wouldn't last to our third rounder, but I just can't comfortable with him at #57. His floor is too low. I think long term he might be a safety (which I think you alluded to as well, if not maybe someone else did) but even there I think it is going to take some time.

All that said..... I agree that is NOT a particularly good looking list for the Bills. In this scenario if they wanted to slide out of the 2nd altogether... just spitballing but Atlanta gives you #74 and #82 to move up and take a Quarterback at #57.... then I could get comfortable with a version of your end of round 1 strategy where you move back take Woolen and a swing on whoever the highest ceiling receiver left is. 

Woolen is far from a finished product, no question. But again I think you have to take everything into context...

• Tre's coming off a major injury (best to buy him time)
  • Dane is...meh (called that one last year)
  • We're good enough to -- at worst -- remain competitive while Woolen develops and Tre recovers, especially with McDuffie also on board (blech)
  • The rest of the board, as you've mentioned does not break out well for us
  • We can't trade down in this bizzaro world (agree with you that a move down in real life, here, would probably be the best setup, especially since I don't think Woolen lasts this long in real life)
  • We're in a world where offenses are using more 3, 4 and 5 wide sets and pass catching TE/RB threats, so more DBs will never be a bad thing
  • We're also in a world with a longer schedule now. Depth is increasingly important, so adding to our most glaring weakness (especially when juxtaposed against this era of offenses) is also not a bad idea
  • Our staff has a track record of:
    • developing DBs
    • getting the most out of raw athletes new to their positions

If you're looking at that board and asking who will make the biggest day 1 impact, Tariq Woolen might not be in the top 50 for that answer. But when you factor all of the above in (perhaps foremost being letting Tre progress slowly and completely) and you ask the question, who on the board could make the biggest impact on Super Bowl Sunday... I think there's a strong case that it's Woolen (to say nothing of farther into the future...)

Edited by glazeduck
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

who on the board could make the biggest impact on Super Bowl Sunday... I think there's a strong case that it's Woolen (to say nothing of farther into the future...)

I think there might well be a case for that. But equally if you asked me of that list who might be out of the NFL before he has completed his 4 year rookie deal, I think there is an argument that is Woolen too. I like him as a prospect. I just think #57 is too rich for my tastes with someone so boom and bust. 

1 hour ago, LEBills said:

In the real draft, Tyler Smith will be long gone. Though he would be a great pick.

I think Kenneth Walker will be there though and that’s who I voted for. Us fans have been clamoring for an explosive back and he is it. He had 90+ long TD runs while he was at both MSU and Wake. We don’t know what kind of pass catcher he is bc he wasn’t used that way (neither was Motor in college). Willing blocker but needs a lot of help being more consistent in that area.

They told me that too though when I mocked Cody Ford to us in the 2nd round that year he was drafted.  He was supposed to be gone around pick 15-25.  So its possible, guys slip all the time from where they were in mocks.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think there might well be a case for that. But equally if you asked me of that list who might be out of the NFL before he has completed his 4 year rookie deal, I think there is an argument that is Woolen too. I like him as a prospect. I just think #57 is too rich for my tastes with someone so boom and bust. 

Completely fair. I trust our staff though, they've hit enough home runs with guys like him that it's a pick I'd be excited about. I like Woolen but I also DO NOT like, well, just about every other player on that board, at the value, so there's some of that coming into play too...

Entirely unrelated to my rantings and ravings about Tariq Woolen --  There's 11 or so votes that I think are just completely wasted. That's fun too...

Edited by glazeduck

I might be buying into the rumor mill too much, but I think LB Troy Andersen would be a likely candidate to be picked here. He fits the athletic profile that McDermott likes from his MLB and he's apparently very high character and a leader in the locker room. If we don't plan on extending Edmunds we need to find his replacement now.

Andersen has some of the same flaws that Edmunds has with play recognition and instincts, the difference is he has only played LB for 2 years so there is legitimate room for growth. For all the talk about Edmunds upside because of his age, his father was an NFL player so he grew up with the game, and he played LB in high school and three years of college. Maybe we should have been more cautious about his instincts given how little he had after all that time on task. Andersen with professional coaching for the first time in his life could have more room to actually get better.

In his rookie season Andersen would be a core special teams player and be groomed to take over the role from Edmunds in 2023. He would also immediately improve our LB depth which right now is a bit lacking.

The way this mock draft has gone I would predict Watson at 25 and Anderson at 57. That would be a very nice start IMO. Tyler Smith is a reasonable prediction though. Again I could see the Bills falling in love with his physical traits.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

Please vote on who you would like to see the Bills take at #57.

These are the players available based upon our TSW Mock Draft 1.0.

Players were selected based upon the remaining top 75 rated players according to CBS Sports (ESPN isn't updated).  I did not include QB, DB, TE, or DB based upon current roster and previous pick of a DB.

The poll will remain open until we have 100 votes or a clear winner

Tyler Smith.  The RB’s are solid, but Smith is a great pick here.  Will provide the OL with a great T or G for the foreseeable future.   The OL is more important than fixing our average RB corp.  Smith is the type of guy this Ol needs and will fit in nicely.  

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/tyler-smith-2022-nfl-draft-profile-skill-set

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I might be buying into the rumor mill too much, but I think LB Troy Andersen would be a likely candidate to be picked here. He fits the athletic profile that McDermott likes from his MLB and he's apparently very high character and a leader in the locker room. If we don't plan on extending Edmunds we need to find his replacement now.

Andersen has some of the same flaws that Edmunds has with play recognition and instincts, the difference is he has only played LB for 2 years so there is legitimate room for growth. For all the talk about Edmunds upside because of his age, his father was an NFL player so he grew up with the game, and he played LB in high school and three years of college. Maybe we should have been more cautious about his instincts given how little he had after all that time on task. Andersen with professional coaching for the first time in his life could have more room to actually get better.

In his rookie season Andersen would be a core special teams player and be groomed to take over the role from Edmunds in 2023. He would also immediately improve our LB depth which right now is a bit lacking.

The way this mock draft has gone I would predict Watson at 25 and Anderson at 57. That would be a very nice start IMO. Tyler Smith is a reasonable prediction though. Again I could see the Bills falling in love with his physical traits.

Agreed. He would have been my pick if he was listed as an option. I don't consider myself either an Edmunds hater or truther, but I think drafting a replacement this year is a smart move and Andersen appears to be a perfect candidate. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Philo said:

Agreed. He would have been my pick if he was listed as an option. I don't consider myself either an Edmunds hater or truther, but I think drafting a replacement this year is a smart move and Andersen appears to be a perfect candidate. 

Troy Andersen could be used on offense if needed also.  All state QB and played RB as well as WR.  4.42 is great speed.  21 rushing tds and 1412 rushing yds as a freshman before converting to LB at Montana State

Edited by Magnum Force
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Damn... When I get choices like this in my mocks, I press the restart button!!!🤬🤣🤣🤣

There was a mock last year where pretty much everyone was ticked off by our choices.  I believe it was Ossai in the first and Shelvin in the second.  Neither went in the first two rounds and both were drafted by the Bengals.  They both sucked their rookie year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

We’re missing Calvin Austin III for this poll...😉

Already gone. Chiefs selected him. 

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

There was a mock last year where pretty much everyone was ticked off by our choices.  I believe it was Ossai in the first and Shelvin in the second.  Neither went in the first two rounds and both were drafted by the Bengals.  They both sucked their rookie year.

Ossai didn't play.... he was tearing up camp and pre-season then tore his ACL in the final pre-season game.

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Actually Ossai looked really good in the Bengals first preseason game against the Bucs, even notched a sack on Tom Brady by beating Tristan Wirfs, but he suffered a season ending knee injury in the 2nd preseason game. The very early returns were good but this year will basically be his rookie season.

Edited by HappyDays

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.