How much did you pay for gas and groceries today?

37 minutes ago, Irv said:

Tried taking a loan recently?  You must be living under a rock.  

One man's higher loan rates are another man's higher savings rates.

We tilted the economy toward ultra low rates through Federal Reserve intervention ever since 2008. Things are finally getting back to normal rates.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

tl;dr

Journalist Chait says real wages are going up. Critic hits back: paper towels are getting really expensive. Chait mocks that.

I don't know about you, but I buy the 12 roll Costco pack. Now $26. Basically 2 bucks a roll. Each roll lasts a week or more in my small household.

I'm with Chait here.

It's more than just paper towels.  :rolleyes:

A freaking Big Mac is $7.29 where I live. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

One man's higher loan rates are another man's higher savings rates.

We tilted the economy toward ultra low rates through Federal Reserve intervention ever since 2008. Things are finally getting back to normal rates.

No.  Rates were normal until Bindeflation ***** everything up.  You like paying more for everything?   Honestly, it's completely unbelievable somebody could be so brainwashed.   But it probably doesn't impact someone like you who takes handouts on the backs of the worker.  What a mess.        

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

It's more than just paper towels.  :rolleyes:

A freaking Big Mac is $7.29 where I live. 

The entire "travel, restaurant and hospitality" sector has seen some of the biggest price increases. It's labor intensive, and labor costs have gone through the roof.

I'm not trying to be the Monopoly man here, but ... broadly speaking these are still discretionary spending categories.

1 minute ago, Irv said:

No.  Rates were normal until Bindeflation ***** everything up.  You like paying more for everything?   Honestly, it's completely unbelievable somebody could be so brainwashed.   But it probably doesn't impact someone like you who takes handouts on the backs of the worker.  What a mess.        

1 year CDs? About 5.5 percent.

So like I said: if you owe money, not good. If you have money to save and don't like risk, good.

15 hours ago, Irv said:

Rates were normal until Bindeflation ***** everything up.

You don't remember what savings account/CD rates were after COVID? My bank account was paying a laughable 0.1 percent. I have a CD that is now (thankfully) maturing that I bought when I got all excited that rates were rising again. 18 months, 2.55%.

There's nothing "normal" about that. "Normal" over the last 40 years or so was on the order of 4% for short-term savings.

• Haha (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

LET’S GO BRANDON: 

Here We Go Again. Gas Prices Jump In Past Month.

IMG_2902.thumb.jpeg.18448e51b32475cb68fe3533251a1198.jpeg

According to the AAA national average prices, each gallon in your tank has gone from $3.537 to $3.829 during the past month. An increase of almost thirty cents a gallon, a significant spike for a one-month period.

https://lidblog.com/here-we-go-again-gas-prices-rise-in-past-month/

• Like (+1) 2

22ce4ba5-3bea-4003-80f2-336fb6b7d107-536

With gas prices rising, Biden reminds us he's still trying to end 'ALL drilling'

In order to convince everybody that the burning of fossil fuels is causing an existential crisis for all of humanity, President Biden fired up a 747 for a flight to Arizona and then took an SUV motorcade to the Grand Canyon to sound the alarm yet again. Biden, Kerry, Gore, et al, remain determined to make man-made climate change the biggest self-fulfilling prophecy in history. 

During an interview surrounding the White House's current push to convince everybody we're going to die of summer (at least until winter arrives) unless they're allowed to spend trillions more dollars and take an increasing amount of control over people's lives, Biden said he hasn't given up on his quest to end all oil drilling:

https://twitchy.com/dougp/2023/08/09/with-gas-prices-rising-biden-reminds-us-hes-still-trying-to-end-all-drilling-n2386124

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

They are doing it directly because of the green agenda. The Dems should let the transition to green energy happen organically rather than force it, it would be a smoother transition and the country and the world could better prepare for it. 

41 minutes ago, Westside said:

Goes to show you how the leftists on here do not care about the poor. Food costs more? Eat less!!!

They've sold their souls for the leftist agenda. Talk about a cult! 

Venezuelan diet.  What a mess.  

• Like (+1) 2