How much did you pay for gas and groceries today?

Once again this month I paid nothing for gas. It cost me $12 to ‘fill the tank’ on my new electric vehicle yesterday. Not tryin to be an arse but I promised that I’d keep you abreast of my experience ….and so far I love it. 👍 The car is incredibly smooth to drive. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Once again this month I paid nothing for gas. It cost me $12 to ‘fill the tank’ on my new electric vehicle yesterday. Not tryin to be an arse but I promised that I’d keep you abreast of my experience ….and so far I love it. 👍 The car is incredibly smooth to drive. 

What did you buy? I'm thinking of doing what a lot of people are doing now: one larger gas engine vehicle for longer trips (the charging network is pretty sparse in the mountain west where I live), one EV for everything else. 

By the way: just paid $2.69 a gallon for gas. So it seems like SOME of this was "transitory" after all.

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

How much did you pay for it above a comparable gas vehicle?  What’s the life of your battery and what’s the replacement cost?  How much of a B word would it be to drive it north to SF or OR or WA?  

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

How much did you pay for it above a comparable gas vehicle?  What’s the life of your battery and what’s the replacement cost?  How much of a B word would it be to drive it north to SF or OR or WA?  

I bought the new all electric BMW i4….which is essentially a 4 Series with an electric motor. It’s reported to get 300 mile range on a full charge and so far that appears to be pretty accurate, although you’re told to set your charging limit to 80% to extend the battery life, which is rated at about seven to ten  years. Mine cost $53k (and yes I’m in the financial position to afford it). It’s a really great car. Super fast and incredibly smooth to drive. Maintenance costs are practically nothing. No fluids, or filters, or belts to change, and brakes last a really long time as the motor itself slows the car. 

I wouldn’t hesitate driving it to San Francisco from Los Angeles. You can stop at a fast charge station somewhere along the route for fifteen to twenty minutes to stretch your legs and recharge. But for the vast vast majority of the driving anyone does you just charge it at home in the garage overnight. It’s super convenient. 

I got it on somewhat of a whim just to try it out, and so far it’s a fantastic machine. 

Edited by SoCal Deek

19 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

What did you buy? I'm thinking of doing what a lot of people are doing now: one larger gas engine vehicle for longer trips (the charging network is pretty sparse in the mountain west where I live), one EV for everything else. 

By the way: just paid $2.69 a gallon for gas. So it seems like SOME of this was "transitory" after all.

We’re still paying $5.50 per gallon in California. And yes we have a gas vehicle as well at home, but I’m guessing you’ll see a more robust charging network develop soon. Just like you’d have seen with gas stations 100 years ago. They’re  everywhere in So Cal. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I bought the new all electric BMW i4….which is essentially a 4 Series with an electric motor. It’s reported to get 300 mile range on a full charge and so far that appears to be pretty accurate, although you’re told to set your charging limit to 80% to extend the battery life, which is rated at about seven to ten  years. Mine cost $53k (and yes I’m in the financial position to afford it). It’s a really great car. Super fast and incredibly smooth to drive. Maintenance costs are practically nothing. No fluids, or filters, or belts to change, and brakes last a really long time as the motor itself slows the car. 

I wouldn’t hesitate driving it to San Francisco from Los Angeles. You can stop at a fast charge station somewhere along the route for fifteen to twenty minutes to stretch your legs and recharge. But for the vast vast majority of the driving anyone does you just charge it at home in the garage overnight. It’s super convenient. 

I got it on somewhat of a whim just to try it out, and so far it’s a fantastic machine. 

And they seem to me at this point to be good for local driving and commuting so you can charge over night in your garage overnight.  I’ve heard horror stories about long trips however due to lack of charging stations and the time it takes at some of them. 

I have a 6-series and just got a new battery installed. Cost about $750.  I was just wondering how much to replace one in an EV.  

Just now, Chef Jim said:

And they seem to me at this point to be good for local driving and commuting so you can charge over night in your garage overnight.  I’ve heard horror stories about long trips however due to lack of charging stations and the time it takes at some of them. 

I have a 6-series and just got a new battery installed. Cost about $750.  I was just wondering how much to replace one in an EV.  

Malibu to Palm Springs this past weekend without a care in the world. 👍I’ve had two 5 Series over the years so I knew I could rely on the quality of the vehicle. Go to the Palm Desert dealer and check out the i4….if they even have one. I’m guessing you’ll be super impressed. Step on the ‘gas’ and it’ll push you back in your seat! 

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Malibu to Palm Springs this past weekend without a care in the world. 👍I’ve had two 5 Series over the years so I knew I could rely on the quality of the vehicle. Go to the Palm Desert dealer and check out the i4….if they even have one. I’m guessing you’ll be super impressed. Step on the ‘gas’ and it’ll push you back in your seat! 

Thanks for the advice but I don’t need any advice.  😁

I’ve got 120k on mine and driving it until the wheels fall off. 

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Thanks for the advice but I don’t need any advice.  😁

I’ve got 120k on mine and driving it until the wheels fall off. 

I had 170k on my latest 5 Series when I traded it in. A good number of which were amassed while I was waiting 9 months for the new car. 🙄 

3 hours ago, RiotAct said:

My homeowner’s insurance went up $100 for next year.

Eggs - $4 a dozen at Wegs now.

But hey, abortion rights!!!

The cheapest eggs at Tops were 4.79 today and another surprising price today was tops brand canola oil, the smallest bottle was 3.79 which seemed very high. 

My car insurance has increased $25 a month as well. 

Definitely putting the squeeze on the working class.

Also, don't forget the strategic oil reserve trick is about to run out, Russian oil and energy is off the market now, they're the world's second largest supplier of energy, so I'm expecting things to get worse before they get better in '23. 

Tighten your chin straps kids, I think we are in for a bumpy ride. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2022 at 11:24 PM, Big Blitz said:

Time to start documenting - I hope in a few months I'll be posting significant declines. 

But with this absolutely insane shift from "We really f...ed up covid and oh sorry the economy may really be fast tracked to disaster now" to "Russia Russia Russia cancel anyone that even watches Anastasia," something ain't right so I'm skeptical and concerned.  Beyond concerned.  They create crisis when they need you distracted.   

I hope we avoid all of it but we are either led by very stupid evil people or we're compromised by the only country on earth safe and protected from any criticism. 

And no one literally no one in your government is talking about it and how to fix it.  Just go buy an EV.  That's not concerning?  That doesn't tell you anything? 

In fact the buck stops with Brandon is now lashing out at you for even to dare blame him.  This is insane.  

Gas:  $48 on a car that had a 1/4 tank left

Target:  Literally 9 items - soap, a few things for dinner (sausage peppers potatoes), a bag of M&Ms, Lemon juice, and almost milk.   $50 

Not sustainable. 

And nothing more eye opening for people then to hear directly what everything is starting to cost.  

Another example of politicians trying to avoid answering a direct question numerous times & i love the way Brian Mass gets fed up with the BS of not just answering the simple question & tells the commit leader what to do with his BS we need many more congressmen like Brian & that's what some do not like !! 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

EVERYTHING IS GOING SWIMMINGLY: 

Soaring Food Prices Prompt Eurasian Nations To Ban Food Exports.

https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/soaring-food-prices-prompt-eurasian-nations-ban-food-exports

Related: Looming food shortages is the next ‘slow-moving disaster’ to hit world. Not by accident.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/17/looming-food-shortages-is-worlds-next-slow-moving-disaster/

• Like (+1) 1

EVERYTHING IS GOING SWIMMINGLY: 

The U.S. Consumer Is Starting to Freak Out.

The engine of the U.S. economy—consumer spending—is starting to sputter.

Retail purchases have fallen in three of the past four months. Spending on services, including rent, haircuts and the bulk of bills, was flat in December, after adjusting for inflation, the worst monthly reading in nearly a year. Sales of existing homes in the U.S. fell last year to their lowest level since 2014 as mortgage rates rose. The auto industry posted its worst sales year in more than a decade.

It’s a stark turnaround from the second half of 2020, when Americans lifted the economy out of a pandemic downturn, helping the U.S. avoid what many economists worried would be a prolonged slump. Consumers snapped up exercise bikes, televisions and laptop computers for schoolchildren during lockdowns. When restrictions were lifted, they rushed back to their favorite restaurants and travel destinations.

And they kept spending, helped by government stimulus, flush savings accounts and cheap credit, even as inflation picked up. Faced with four-decade-high inflation last year, Americans outspent it. Through most of 2022, consumer spending growth exceeded price increases by about 2 percentage points.

Now the forces that helped keep spending high are unwinding, while inflation remains elevated.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/the-us-consumer-is-starting-to-freak-out/ar-AA16TXRy

“If something cannot go on forever, it will stop.”

• Like (+1) 1