Don’t be surprised by QB in round 1

4merper4mer

If the Bills are able to address reasonable options at CB and DE/DT in FA Beane will definitely go BPA in round 1.  It is completely consistent with his MO.  If say Pickett is there at 25 you get:

5 years of contract control in a QB starved league

Explosive increase in potential value in years 2-4 vis a vis potential trades

Ability to showcase him in preseason, possibly week 17, and next years preseason

A viable backup….maybe not right away for Allen

The ability to reinvent the Trubisky model with some vet like Kyle Allen in 22, Darnold in 23 and get comp picks

This may be too much to turn down as it could end up as 2 1’s, a 2 and 23’s over 2 years.  It’s a luxury pick for sure but one that Beane has earned.  If a QB falls, it is the way to go in 22.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 6
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Haha (+1) 17
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, TBBills said:

That is almost as funny as "Bills sniffing around Cooper" minutes before he went to the Browns.

They also go BPA according to need.

They don’t need 2 1’s, a 2 and 2 3’s added to their own picks over the next few years?  With a high salary team already in place it is actually exactly what they need.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

In FA, you can get a cheap player, but odds are unlikely he’ll be good. You can get a good player, but odds are unlikely he’ll be cheap. There’s no way for a team up against the cap that we can sign a CB, DE, AND DT that will effectively erase those needs in the draft. There’s a 0% chance the Bills take a QB in the first round this year.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, 4merper4mer said:

They don’t need 2 1’s, a 2 and 2 3’s added to their own picks over the next few years?  With a high salary team already in place it is actually exactly what they need.

This is the worst year to draft a QB and you think they are going to get anything in return years down the line.

4 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

In FA, you can get a cheap player, but odds are unlikely he’ll be good. You can get a good player, but odds are unlikely he’ll be cheap. There’s no way for a team up against the cap that we can sign a CB, DE, AND DT that will effectively erase those needs in the draft. There’s a 0% chance the Bills take a QB in the first round this year.

Poyer says hi.

Poyer says hi.

There’s always exceptions, even Mitchell Trubisky this past year, but that’s why I said “odds are unlikely,” I didn’t say they were impossible. But expecting to sign 3 that eliminates those draft needs? Yeah I’ll say impossible to that. 

• Vomit 1

Just now, JayBaller10 said:

There’s always exceptions, even Mitchell Trubisky this past year, but that’s why I said “odds are unlikely,” I didn’t say they were impossible. But expecting to sign 3 that eliminates those draft needs? Yeah I’ll say impossible to that. 

Well I never said they would all be cheap.  That’s part of the point.  The QB would be cheap and the picks we get down the line would in turn be cheap.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Really, and how is a backup to Josh Allen ever going to garner multiple 1st round picks when they don't play except in spot duty?

This is a horrible idea. It's not rooted in reality at all.

Just now, Doc Brown said:

2013 is pry the best comparison - Manuel, Geno Smith, Glennon, Barkley, Nassib, L. Jones, etc...

2017 was supposedly like 2013.  Rosen was pro ready.  Mayfield was number one. Lamar barely went in the first.  But you’re sure right?

• Disagree 1

Well I never said they would all be cheap.  That’s part of the point.  The QB would be cheap and the picks we get down the line would in turn be cheap.

If they’re not cheap, we can’t sign them. Are you aware the status of our salary cap? You can make moves to bring in maybe one high profile contrsct, but nothing more than that. Then you’re banking on the other two FA signings outplaying a cheap contract. Highly unlikely.

• Vomit 1