Per Adam Schefter: Cowboys likely to release Amari Cooper

Greg S

Adam Schefter on Twitter: "Cowboys are “likely” to release WR Amari Copper by the start of the new league year, per league sources. Cooper is due $20 million in fully guaranteed money on the fifth day of the new league year, March 20." / Twitter

Just now, SCBills said:

It just seems like that will happen, doesn’t it?

They have a lot of Cap space and Joe Douglas has already mentioned in the NY media the need to get Wilson some weapons on offense. So it wouldn't surprise me if they sign him.

7 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

2000 yards and 13 TDs in 2 years since get got paid really isn’t that bad. There are tons of contracts that have been way worse.

You can’t just look at stats.  And those stats are pretty meh for a WR making 20M per year……1000 yards and 6.5 TDs.  

Look at cap situation of the team that signed him.  They signed him before Dak, which cost the cowboys a ton of money.  Signing zeke may have been worse.  

the cowboys realize what a mistake it was….hence the cut and then taking on 6M In dead cap just to get rid of him 

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Somebody is going to spend a lot of money on a very overrated WR

I think you could be wrong on both counts.   

Overrated?  Guy's had five 100-yard seasons playing eight seasons for two dysfunctional franchises.  He has excellent speed, size, hands, and attitude.  He's a better, maybe much better version of Gabriel Davis.  I'd take Mike Evans over Cooper, but he's in that class.  

Spend a lot of money?   Well, we'll see.  As someone said, it seems there will be a lot of free agent receivers out there, so it may be that no one will be willing to write a big check.  We've seen it before, big-name free agents sitting out there for months after free agency begins.  

The Bills won't over pay for him, but who knows, Cooper may be one of those guys, like Sanders, who's looking to play with a great QB on a team that's not dysfunctional and that's serious about winning.  It's not hard to imagine a passing attack with Diggs, Davis, and Cooper, (letting both Sanders and Beasley go).  That's not that much different than Antonio Brown, Godwin, and Evans, minus the drama.   It's a receiving corps that gives a new offensive coordinator a lot of options. 

I don't expect Cooper in Buffalo, but every year Beane does things I don't expect.  

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Overrated?  Guy's had five 100-yard seasons playing eight seasons for two dysfunctional franchises.  He has excellent speed, size, hands, and attitude.  He's a better, maybe much better version of Gabriel Davis.  I'd take Mike Evans over Cooper, but he's in that class.  

Spend a lot of money?   Well, we'll see.  As someone said, it seems there will be a lot of free agent receivers out there, so it may be that no one will be willing to write a big check.  We've seen it before, big-name free agents sitting out there for months after free agency begins.  

The Bills won't over pay for him, but who knows, Cooper may be one of those guys, like Sanders, who's looking to play with a great QB on a team that's not dysfunctional and that's serious about winning.  It's not hard to imagine a passing attack with Diggs, Davis, and Cooper, (letting both Sanders and Beasley go).  That's not that much different than Antonio Brown, Godwin, and Evans, minus the drama.   It's a receiving corps that gives a new offensive coordinator a lot of options. 

I don't expect Cooper in Buffalo, but every year Beane does things I don't expect.  

If he’s willing to play for a normal contract/discounted contender contract, sure.  

I don’t see that mentality in him, but I welcome being wrong on that. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't expect Cooper in Buffalo but he would have to be willing to restructure that contract. But with him added to the WR's we have that would be fun to watch. Again I don't think its happening either.

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You can’t just look at stats.  And those stats are pretty meh for a WR making 20M per year……1000 yards and 6.5 TDs.  

Look at cap situation of the team that signed him.  They signed him before Dak, which cost the cowboys a ton of money.  Signing zeke may have been worse.  

the cowboys realize what a mistake it was….hence the cut and then taking on 6M In dead cap just to get rid of him 

Oh I agree it’s definitely not a good contract. I was just saying he wasn’t a complete waste of money like some players are.

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Supremely talented player whose heart isn't in the game. Never sign those types of players to extensions.

I guess I've not followed him that closely to believe that his heart isn't in the game.   

My sense has been that he's been frustrated by the situations he's found himself in.   In one fewer season than Evans, he's been targeted 250 fewer times.   Maybe that's because his heart isn't in it, but maybe it's because he's played with second-string QBs, Jon Gruden didn't know what he was doing, and the Cowboys insisted on giving the ball to their overpaid running back.   I don't know.

One thing is certain, however.   Beane and McDermott will know, and if you're right, the discussion about Cooper at One Bills Drive already has ended.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.