Should some of the gambling revenues help build/renovate stadiums and arenas?

Albany,n.y.

32 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Yup, Once tax money gets collected it all becomes parts of the general fund, there is no lock box. 

Yeah not really sure anyone said to sign the Draft Kings tax checks over to the cement company.

The point being that the argument that the state or it's citizens don't significantly benefit financially from sports arena's kinda' goes out the window when legalized sports gambling starts bringing in billions per year for the state.   And yeah,  it will be billions annually within the next few.    This is

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Taxpayers are so naïve.

Like donating money to my university, they try to encourage you to donate to the football team or the drama or whatever.  This is another example.

People dont realize that all the money is fungible, especially taxes.  Sure NYS can target the funds "to the stadium", but in reality, it is meaningless.

Sadly true.

If I had it my way, this money would go toward fighting the opioid epidemic and making it possible to pay social work professionals what they SHOULD make.  That would really be nice if the lottery money actually went to education like it's supposed to.

But, nah.  NYS will keep making money off of peoples' vices and line the pockets of the elected crooks.

Worst of times.

• Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah not really sure anyone said to sign the Draft Kings tax checks over to the cement company.

The point being that the argument that the state or it's citizens don't significantly benefit financially from sports arena's kinda' goes out the window when legalized sports gambling starts bringing in billions per year for the state.   And yeah,  it will be billions annually within the next few.    This is

giphy.gif

The citizens benefit providing our political parties don’t squander the money/ opportunity it presents, that part is yet to be determined, but I hear ya, 

7 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The state took in over $70 million the 1st 30 days of mobile sports betting.  Since without the sports leagues there are no games to bet on, should the state be taking some of the gambling revenues to help build the Bills new stadium and also support future stadium and arena renovations and upgrades to the state's major league sports teams.

One of the biggest complaints from the non sports fans is they don't want their tax dollars spent on stadiums they'll never go to.  The money from gambling comes almost exclusively from the fans most interested in the teams, blunting the non sports fans argument.

I say use some of the gambling profits to build our new stadium.  Yes, I'm aware this would require some political maneuvering.  

Let me see if I understand this…the State took in $70 million from gambling and now you want the gambling sites to pay out even more cash for the stadium? Wouldn’t the better question be: If the State took in $70 million from gambling on football, why isn’t the state putting that money back into the business by giving that money for the stadium? Isn’t the state supposed to fix the roads with your Highway taxes? 

7 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The state took in over $70 million the 1st 30 days of mobile sports betting.  Since without the sports leagues there are no games to bet on, should the state be taking some of the gambling revenues to help build the Bills new stadium and also support future stadium and arena renovations and upgrades to the state's major league sports teams.

One of the biggest complaints from the non sports fans is they don't want their tax dollars spent on stadiums they'll never go to.  The money from gambling comes almost exclusively from the fans most interested in the teams, blunting the non sports fans argument.

I say use some of the gambling profits to build our new stadium.  Yes, I'm aware this would require some political maneuvering.  

It won't happen because NY Jiants/Jest sport fans would want money to go to their stadium and no way is that politically politically palatable. 

37 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It won't happen because NY Jiants/Jest sport fans would want money to go to their stadium and no way is that politically politically palatable. 

They play in a different state, so the Giants & Jets are irrelevant to stadium funding in NYS.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

50 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Let me see if I understand this…the State took in $70 million from gambling and now you want the gambling sites to pay out even more cash for the stadium? Wouldn’t the better question be: If the State took in $70 million from gambling on football, why isn’t the state putting that money back into the business by giving that money for the stadium? Isn’t the state supposed to fix the roads with your Highway taxes? 

I want the state to take some of the profits the gambling sites are giving to the state & use some of the state's gambling profits to go to the stadium instead of raising anyone's taxes.  

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Not to their gambling fans who will not want Bills getting their funds from their gambling.

So you thought that NYS was going to give tax money to NJ...........but then realized that made no sense and pivoted to this take?

NYC area has an incredible amount of professional stadiums and arenas and the state has kicked in a fortune on those projects............and this was before the gambling tax revenue.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/11/nyregion/stadiums-arenas-funding-nyc.html

19 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Taxpayers are so naïve.

Like donating money to my university, they try to encourage you to donate to the football team or the drama or whatever.  This is another example.

People dont realize that all the money is fungible, especially taxes.  Sure NYS can target the funds "to the stadium", but in reality, it is meaningless.

Of course, but now you are destroying the thrust of the thread, which I believe is to piss on NYS government.

• Haha (+1) 1

The stadium being built generates money and fuels the economy of the area. Not just for football fans, for all of the taxpayers in that area. It helps Hotels, small businesses, attracts more people to the area Etc. The idea that taxpayers are paying for the City to own a stadium and not getting benefit is flawed.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I want the state to take some of the profits the gambling sites are giving to the state & use some of the state's gambling profits to go to the stadium instead of raising anyone's taxes.  

Well I'm guessing that's exactly what they are going to do. So you should be happy. However, the State's budget is not that simplistic. They don't earmark funds as specifically as you seem to be suggesting. Every highway tax dollar doesn't go to fix highways, etc.  And every sports gambling dollar won't go specifically towards a new stadium....but I'm betting (pardon the pun) your logic will indeed be used to justify some level of State financial support.

On 2/15/2022 at 1:53 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

Absolutely not. NFL betting is a small fraction of bets.  Particularly when you look at a year, not just NFL playoffs and superbowl time.  The NFL, it's teams, and it's fans should fund stadiums, full stop.  The NFL and teams in particular certainly can afford it.

21 hours ago, drumizen said:

The stadium being built generates money and fuels the economy of the area. Not just for football fans, for all of the taxpayers in that area. It helps Hotels, small businesses, attracts more people to the area Etc. The idea that taxpayers are paying for the City to own a stadium and not getting benefit is flawed.

I keep hearing this nonsense.  8 days a year in general you are talking about. Maybe a few concerts if it was domed.  "fuels the economy", for gods sake.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CodeMonkey said:

Absolutely not. NFL betting is a small fraction of bets.  Particularly when you look at a year, not just NFL playoffs and superbowl time.  The NFL, it's teams, and it's fans should fund stadiums, full stop.  The NFL and teams in particular certainly can afford it.

I keep hearing this nonsense.  8 days a year in general you are talking about. Maybe a few concerts if it was domed.  "fuels the economy", for gods sake.

So you want the Bills to move out of Buffalo.  Got it.  

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

So you want the Bills to move out of Buffalo.  Got it.  

Nonsensical leap there.  I want the NFL and the billionaire owners to pay for their stadiums. If they feel the need, stick it to fans with PSL's.  But what I don't want is people who could not care less about a team, Bills or otherwise, to pay for a billionaires stadium that multimillionaires play 8 games a year in.

Edited by CodeMonkey
  • Vomit 1

38 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

Nonsensical leap there.  I want the NFL and the billionaire owners to pay for their stadiums. If they feel the need, stick it to fans with PSL's.  But what I don't want is people who could not care less about a team, Bills or otherwise, to pay for a billionaires stadium that multimillionaires play 8 games a year in.

Every other year 9 games 🤑

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CodeMonkey said:

Every taxpayer pays for stuff that they don't care about & will never use.

In the real world, not some fantasy world, teams move if the government doesn't kick in some of the stadium costs because there will always be somewhere else where the politicians will pay to get a team to move there.  

Now there may be exceptions in rare cases, but even the biggest cities have experienced franchise relocations.  The Giants & Jets moved to a different state even within the same metropolitan area & the Bears are threatening to move out of the city of Chicago to the 'burbs.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.