Justin Bannan [12 yr NFL vet, drafted by Bills] sentenced to 16 years in prison...

Big Turk

4 minutes ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

Would you be looking for next steps or root causes if one of your loved ones got killed by this scum who had little regard for human life, indiscriminately shooting the first person to come through the door.

My son was shot in a car jacking and came within millimeters of his femoral artery from dying on the spot. (My son was hardly innocent, he should not have been there, and he knew it.) He lived, but suffered nerve damage in his left hand. I feel badly for the kid who shot him. I would still feel badly for him if my son had died that day. This kid stood very little chance where he grew up. Anyone who came out of that hell to actually thrive was a damn miracle. 

• Thank you (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I seriously doubt we will find an understanding based upon what I’ve seen so far, but I’ll take one shot at it. If someone has a mental illness, or is diminished due to something like CTE, I feel sorry for them. They are not “themselves”. They will do things they never would have considered if they were healthy and sober. 

This guy was crouched in a corner with a gun hiding from Russian mafia. It seems to me he may not have been in his right mind. There is an insanity defense for a reason. 

NOW, do I feel for the pure victims the most? I do. Including their family and friends. It’s pure tragedy. But I also feel for someone who did something terrible because they were out of their mind. I also feel deeply for his parents, siblings and other loved ones who have to live with this. There are no winners here. 

I feel badly for everyone. 

You're already assuming there is a medical excuse for Bannans actions. Why? Did he have a history of mental illness? Did he have opportunities for therapy? Did he have criminal inclinations previously? Wouldn't the defense have used mental defect as a defense if it was reasonable?  Maybe Bannan was just a desperate, violent criminal who never even considered this poor lady would get killed. 

• Vomit 1

18 minutes ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

I applaud your compassion for everyone, but how does CTE or mental issues enter into hiding from the Russian mob in the acupuncturist's office and firing a gun arbitrarily as the door opened. Are we going to search for causal societal factors for every violent  act? Punish these viscous criminals and get them off the street for long sentences.

I don’t think anyone is saying give the guy a hug, apologize to him for his tough situation and let him go.

but if we can agree to accept he was for whatever reason not in his good mind (may prove wrong as hes available to be evaluated but for a chat here let’s agree something is up and he’s not totally faking it)— do you think your loved ones are safer in 20 years with him locked up in prison 15 years and released or receiving some sort of comprehensive treatment program for whatever was going on and seeing where that goes over the long horizon?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

hesitates to open a "drop the soap" thread......OH My **cringe**

My reaction is tragic all sides. I empathize with the families, or at least try to Ive never walked in those shoes. Thank GOD

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

I don’t think anyone is saying give the guy a hug, apologize to him for his tough situation and let him go.

but if we can agree to accept he was for whatever reason not in his good mind (may prove wrong as hes available to be evaluated but for a chat here let’s agree something is up and he’s not totally faking it)— do you think your loved ones are safer in 20 years with him locked up in prison 15 years and released or receiving some sort of comprehensive treatment program for whatever was going on and seeing where that goes over the long horizon?

Violent crime is exploding in cities throughout the country because of prioritizing the backgrounds of criminals  and mentally  ill street people,  eliminating bail and not prosecuting crimes. We're not getting people into therapy, we're just allowing them to terrorize innocent law abiding elderly and vulnerable targets.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 3

51 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

Just great. Guess I’ll have to retire my Justin Bannon jersey and put the bobble head on EBay. 

I saw a 6'5" BUILT dude wearing an  Ashton YOUBOUTY jersey at a billsbackers bar once. I never got to hear the back story Im sure there was one 🙂

Justin Bannon in prison it ain't no cake walk. sucks all of it makes me sad.

28 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

It does beg the question as to why, if he is mentally ill, such a story would not have made a compelling insanity defense.   It's not even listed as having been considered.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Augie said:

I seriously doubt we will find an understanding based upon what I’ve seen so far, but I’ll take one shot at it. If someone has a mental illness, or is diminished due to something like CTE, I feel sorry for them. They are not “themselves”. They will do things they never would have considered if they were healthy and sober. 

This guy was crouched in a corner with a gun hiding from Russian mafia. It seems to me he may not have been in his right mind. There is an insanity defense for a reason. 

NOW, do I feel for the pure victims the most? I do. Including their family and friends. It’s pure tragedy. But I also feel for someone who did something terrible because they were out of their mind. I also feel deeply for his parents, siblings and other loved ones who have to live with this. There are no winners here. 

I feel badly for everyone. 

Well said.

• Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

You're already assuming there is a medical excuse for Bannans actions. Why? Did he have a history of mental illness? Did he have opportunities for therapy? Did he have criminal inclinations previously? Wouldn't the defense have used mental defect as a defense if it was reasonable?  Maybe Bannan was just a desperate, violent criminal who never even considered this poor lady would get killed. 

You have to read ALL the words. There was a big IF in there. 

We know for sure, something was wrong with this guy. We don’t know what. Any time this stuff comes up I lean toward taking our time, and getting the facts. Even in court outcomes are somewhat random based upon facts and quality of representation.  Just like the kid who shot my son, he will go through the process, and live with the consequences. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It does beg the question as to why, if he is mentally ill, such a story would not have made a compelling insanity defense.   It's not even listed as having been considered.

all fair, the new link I just shared talks about cte as a court defense, and the challenges of cte paired with drug use being a real challenge in front of a jury. 

honestly, don’t have the bandwidth to be a bannon expert researcher but it’s an interesting topic in the abstract of head injuries, emotional trauma of his best friend committing suicide and potential self medication with drugs. I won’t claim to have any idea how his puzzle pieces fit together other than there were likely some pieces missing or damaged and it caused a bunch of trauma to a bunch of folks.

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

You have to read ALL the words. There was a big IF in there. 

We know for sure, something was wrong with this guy. We don’t know what. Any time this stuff comes up I lean toward taking our time, and getting the facts. Even in court outcomes are somewhat random based upon facts and quality of representation.  Just like the kid who shot my son, he will go through the process, and live with the consequences. 

we have talked about it before too… there’s nothing to be gained by being the angriest guy on the board about a guy none of us know much about. 

if I can be the most pissed off at Justin bannon - and the quickest at that - it doesn’t get me anywhere but angry. If I can say the dude is a human, and was seemingly really going through some ***** it doesn’t let him go free - it just gets me in touch with some humanity, and contemplation about things like faith.

there’s enough to be angry about without raging against this guy who had the world at his fingertips and somehow found himself huddled in the corner hiding from ghosts. That’s blues, not reds, for me. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

if this was  mostly rooted in mental health thats sad, and a sad reflection on this country. thats revenge, not reform

You can use mental health as a reason for almost every murder or attempted murder.  Who in their right mind would intentionally try to kill another person unless to defend yourself or someone else? 

Mental health Doesn’t make it alright and doesn’t mean the offender shouldn’t face harsh punishment.

1 hour ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

Violent crime is exploding in cities throughout the country because of prioritizing the backgrounds of criminals  and mentally  ill street people,  eliminating bail and not prosecuting crimes. We're not getting people into therapy, we're just allowing them to terrorize innocent law abiding elderly and vulnerable targets.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.