YOUR choice for OC and WHY

BuffaloBillyG

The OC conversation part was really good. There were a boatload of names that they talked through.

Of the three candidates that we know about, I would rank things this way:

1) Dorsey

2) Bennett

3) Martin

I think the positives of hiring an internal candidate and the guy that we know works well with Josh Allen is huge.

I have Bennett second on this list because he has more NFL coaching experience and I like that he has worked within a couple of different styles of offense between the McCarthy offense in GB and the Gruden offense with the Raiders.

If Dorsey chooses to go to the Giants and they expand the search, I would prefer to go with an OC that has a lot more experience. I think this would be my list:

1) Jim Caldwell

2) Doug Pederson

3) Bill O'Brien

All three have been involved with big time NFL offenses and the experience of being an NFL head coach. If Dorsey leaves, I think you could see more offensive coaches leave than just Daboll, Johnson, and Dorsey. Having a more experienced OC that should have the ability to build a good offensive staff might be valuable. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Chaos said:

Peyton "Go Bills" Manning. No explanation needed. 

Has Peyton ever expressed interest in coaching let alone walk on first time ever into a oc position?  Yea Peyton probably is as good a oc as any candidates out there but does he even wanna do the long hours during the football season?  I mean he gets to watch football chat with various players in the league with his brother with the Manning cast and gets paid well no doubt.  So Peyton only an option if he expressed interest in coaching.

Edited by AuntieEm

15 hours ago, DasNootz said:

I want to at least interview Mike Kafka - there are so many similarities between our Offensive personnel and KC's it's worth kicking the tires on someone that has helped them get further.

I said this in another thread.  If not dorsey it's him

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Pederson is reportedly interviewing for HC opportunities in Jax and NO

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-head-coach-and-gm-interview-tracker-raiders-hire-josh-mcdaniels-as-new-head-coach/

Snap.  But you left out Canadian, I think that needs to be included 😁

Is he from Ontario area?  I believe he is an Alumni of St. Francis High School in Ethol Springs along with several other prominent NFL's from that school.

15 hours ago, Ross Murdock said:

Doug Pederson - Why? Because he got the most out of Carson Wentz, he made Doug Foles (A career journeyman, who's done nothing since leaving the Eagles)a Super Bowl winner. Pederson also is a Super Bowl winning head coach, who coached an aggressive offensive style that Allen would love. He went on 4th downs plays/2 point conversions long before it popular, and Eagles players played hard for him. Plus, if/when McDermott cannot get the Bills to the promise land, Bills would have a Super Bowl coach in house!!  Sign Him. Bills can't risk giving the OC job to a neophyte. Bills time is NOW!!  

While I thought Pederson sucked as a HC, he’s a good OC.  The team needs someone who is capable of taking complete charge of the offense and he certainly can.  Plus he’d probably be here long term since I don’t think anyone is going to rush to make him a HC again.  

17 hours ago, Ross Murdock said:

Doug Pederson - Why? Because he got the most out of Carson Wentz, he made Doug Foles (A career journeyman, who's done nothing since leaving the Eagles)a Super Bowl winner. Pederson also is a Super Bowl winning head coach, who coached an aggressive offensive style that Allen would love. He went on 4th downs plays/2 point conversions long before it popular, and Eagles players played hard for him. Plus, if/when McDermott cannot get the Bills to the promise land, Bills would have a Super Bowl coach in house!!  Sign Him. Bills can't risk giving the OC job to a neophyte. Bills time is NOW!!  

AND, bring Joe Brady on as QB coach. Worked with Burrow at LSU. I think Carolina hired him too quickly to be an OC. Let him do what he does well, QB coach, while learning under Pederson

3 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Has Peyton ever expressed interest in coaching let alone walk on first time ever into a oc position?  Yea Peyton probably is as good a oc as any candidates out there but does he even wanna do the long hours during the football season?  I mean he gets to watch football chat with various players in the league with his brother with the Manning cast and gets paid well no doubt.  So Peyton only an option if he expressed interest in coaching.

The question the OP asked is who I wanted. I answered the question. 

I'm not going to pretend to know anything about OC candidates who may be floating around out there, but I want someone who knows the system and terminology, and, everything else being equal, I'd like it to be more of a "players coach" type of guy like Daboll who can serve as a friend/mentor and serve as a buffer between the players and the CEO-like McDermott.

Edited by TheBrownBear

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.