Are we over-reacting to the 13 seconds?

cv05

Started watching some of the plays closer. The Tyreek hill TD. WHY?   The Bills call press man across the board. 

I love Poyer and Hyde but they take some terrible angles sometimes. Poyer screwed up earlier on the long Hardman TD run also.

Milano is still chasing some no name TE with his back turned as Hill is breaking free. Milano had no idea what was going on. Hill was literally running up Milano's back and Milano had no idea.

I think the coaches were so afraid of their own players that they played it soft. The PLAYERS couldn't have played the Hill TD any worse. Remember this was the last play before 13 seconds.

We've seen our best players get outplayed in big moments before.

McDermott doesn’t trust these guys and honestly they've given him no reason to in those moments.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, IronyAbounds said:

Absolutely there are no guarantees. At this point Allen doesn't have much more of an increased ceiling (that's more a compliment to him than a critique) and given his style of play an injury isn't out of the question. This was clearly a lost opportunity. However, can't change the past so agonizing over it doesn't really help things either.

This is why I hope the Bills can improve the running game with Singletary or someone else along with an improved OL. I know Allen running is a weapon but I hope he does a lot less running next year. Can't have the franchise taking extra shots with designed runs. He will be getting hit enough with sacks, knock downs, pressures, scrambling to avoid the rush. Think of how Elway did a lot less running when Davis got there. I want the same for Josh.

Edited by Greg S

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Started watching some of the plays closer. The Tyreek hill TD. WHY?   The Bills call press man across the board. 

I love Poyer and Hyde but they take some terrible angles sometimes. Poyer screwed up earlier on the long Hardman TD run also.

Milano is still chasing some no name TE with his back turned as Hill is breaking free. Milano had no idea what was going on. Hill was literally running up Milano's back and Milano had no idea.

I think the coaches were so afraid of their own players that they played it soft. The PLAYERS couldn't have played the Hill TD any worse. Remember this was the last play before 13 seconds.

We've seen our best players get outplayed in big moments before.

McDermott doesn’t trust these guys and honestly they've given him no reason to in those moments.

Our defense was overrated. 

I'm not saying they were bad by any means. But we have this idea that some of these guys are a lot better than they really are. 

There isn't ONE DL on this team that makes a real difference. I like Oliver and Phillips and Rousseau well enough but they are totally interchangeable with any other "NFL lineman whose name gets called once in a while."

It's the NFL. Guys make plays sometimes. Doesn't make you special. Our DL is below average at best, IMO, no matter what the stat geeks and excel spreadsheets say. 

Hyde and Poyer make plays. We all remember Hyde's insane INT vs NE in the playoffs. AWESOME PLAY!

Can anyone remember a meaningful play in a big moment by a DL?

Edited by TheFunPolice

19 hours ago, extrahammer said:

Hey folks, just wanted to point out that I took nearly a two-week break from this board while traveling and this thread is STILL being discussed. 

It will be discussed until the Bills hoist the Lombardi. A giant "what if" situation

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Our defense was overrated. 

I'm not saying they were bad by any means. But we have this idea that some of these guys are a lot better than they really are. 

There isn't ONE DL on this team that makes a real difference. I like Oliver and Phillips and Rousseau well enough but they are totally interchangeable with any other "NFL lineman whose name gets called once in a while."

It's the NFL. Guys make plays sometimes. Doesn't make you special. Our DL is below average at best, IMO, no matter what the stat geeks and excel spreadsheets say. 

Hyde and Poyer make plays. We all remember Hyde's insane INT vs NE in the playoffs. AWESOME PLAY!

Can anyone remember a meaningful play in a big moment by a DL?

Agreed. Even though Bills technically had the #1 D, I still feel there were better defenses than ours.

On 1/26/2022 at 2:58 PM, Big Turk said:

Under reacting if anything

Definitely a lot of under reacting if anything…I’m still not over it & have no plans on watching the super bowl…after that loss…I needed a break from football!!! I’m catching up on some tv shows & playing some Spider-Man Miles Morales to take my mind off that 13 seconds 😄

On 2/11/2022 at 3:39 AM, IronyAbounds said:

Absolutely there are no guarantees. At this point Allen doesn't have much more of an increased ceiling (that's more a compliment to him than a critique) and given his style of play an injury isn't out of the question. This was clearly a lost opportunity. However, can't change the past so agonizing over it doesn't really help things either.

The Broncos lost 3 superbowl in the 80s with John Elway.  I am sure it was frustrating for John those years.  However, he was able to come back and win back-2-back SBs with Shanahan.  

16 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes & No.  You're right about SB XXV.  There were a lot of reasons for that loss and frankly "Wide Right" was only the last play.  However there were mistakes leading up to the game (only one week between the AFC Championship, an overconfident team not prepared for the Superbowl limelight was huge) and during the game plenty of mistakes.

Here it was all coaching and 13 seconds.  It was not perfect for 59:47, but it was good enough to win & the McD and the coaches out & out blew it. 

Forget Buffalo, I use NO as the example of how tenuous it can be.  One year a physical/mental breakdown by a player vs Minnesota a mistimed leap and deflection and Diggs scores a last second TD to win.

Next year, no doubt the worst non-call ever on a PI and they settle for a fg instead of first & goal @ the 1.

Nevere has the NFL seen coaching screw up the final 13 seconds like that.  No excuses.

Yet I don't think they learned from the partying the week leading up to Super Bowl because if I'm not mistaken there was also an incident with some famous persons bodyguard and some of the Buffalo Bills at a night club the week leading up to Super Bowl XXVIII.

The arrogance and over confidence before Super Bowl XXV was crazy. I remember Bruce Smith making these two quotes "we'd rather play San-Francisco because we want to play the best team" and "Lawrence Taylor needs to know that he isn't Super Man anymore, that's me" it was insane. Then Bruce Smith railing about not being named defensive player of the year in the weeks after the loss. 

In regard to 13 seconds I do agree that was a complete coaching meltdown and needs to be addressed by the staff but I don't think we need to "blow" up the coaching staff because of it. Need to learn from it and get better. I also don't agree that this is there the "music city nightmare" or "wide right" because we still had OT to play, the game wasn't over yet. 

******EDIT****** mistake on the exact quote but here is the article: https://www.nytimes.com/1991/01/23/sports/super-bowl-big-talk-small-talk-for-now-contest-words-bills-loud-form-demand.html?smid=url-share

Edited by Mikey

On 2/11/2022 at 3:53 AM, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes & No.  You're right about SB XXV.  There were a lot of reasons for that loss and frankly "Wide Right" was only the last play.  However there were mistakes leading up to the game (only one week between the AFC Championship, an overconfident team not prepared for the Superbowl limelight was huge) and during the game plenty of mistakes.

Here it was all coaching and 13 seconds.  It was not perfect for 59:47, but it was good enough to win & the McD and the coaches out & out blew it. 

Forget Buffalo, I use NO as the example of how tenuous it can be.  One year a physical/mental breakdown by a player vs Minnesota a mistimed leap and deflection and Diggs scores a last second TD to win.

Next year, no doubt the worst non-call ever on a PI and they settle for a fg instead of first & goal @ the 1.

Nevere has the NFL seen coaching screw up the final 13 seconds like that.  No excuses.

McDermott will be unsuccessfully trying to "walk back" his terrible coaching decisions in that last 13 for the rest of his life.

Let's face the facts.  Sean is an amazing players coach who thrives at culture & process. But as a clutch "in game" strategist he might as well be Peterman. 

On 2/11/2022 at 7:46 AM, Greg S said:

This is why I hope the Bills can improve the running game with Singletary or someone else along with an improved OL. I know Allen running is a weapon but I hope he does a lot less running next year. Can't have the franchise taking extra shots with designed runs. He will be getting hit enough with sacks, knock downs, pressures, scrambling to avoid the rush. Think of how Elway did a lot less running when Davis got there. I want the same for Josh.

Allen's running adds a whole new dimension to his game and forces teams to back off our receivers. I hope he continues to. There is no player more fun to watch in the NFL than Allen scrambling.

Wide Right was a 50/50 kick back in those days.  (Nowadays, a kicker would be expected to hit it 85%+ of the time).

MCM was a tough call to make.  Yes, the ball went forward like 6 inches, maybe a foot, but you could understand why the refs thought it went parallel.

No Goal.  Again, a bang-bang play on what for decades had been called a goal.

I'm not saying there was zero incompetence on the three above, sure there was.  But on the scale of incompetence, none of those three come even close to 13 seconds.  Not even close.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.