Are we over-reacting to the 13 seconds?

cv05

greetings 2bd.

I think if any member of our fanbase is Still up in arms over this loss totally understandable. It was a debacle of historic proportion on any football field ever. Think about it. It was a blessing AND a curse. #17 showing his championship heart from the height of jubilation to the depths of despair 13 seconds later. SMH 

I don't think reading this thread is going to create any peace on the subject either.

Hence assimilate absorb ponder watch wait and move forward. what else can a mafia member do right?

m

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

If/when the day comes to where the Bills fire McDermott ( I don't think its happening anytime soon) then I hope Beane gets to make the call on the next HC. I know they are the owners and can do whatever they want but I do not want the Pegula's making the call on the next HC. But McDermott isn't getting fired anytime soon so this is all meaningless speculation.

I totally agree. McD and the Pegulas have a great relationship and there's alot to like about Sean. But unfortunately you can't ignore his in game deficiencies. He will cost Josh more games down the road. Beane would definitely have to make that call if and when the time calls. For now all we can do is pray he figures it out??

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/8/2022 at 3:00 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

I totally agree. McD and the Pegulas have a great relationship and there's alot to like about Sean. But unfortunately you can't ignore his in game deficiencies. He will cost Josh more games down the road. Beane would definitely have to make that call if and when the time calls. For now all we can do is pray he figures it out??

I think this is blossoming into an interesting discussion, and the fanbase is definitely divided over the topic.

A certain % of Bills fans (most?) effectively feel comfortable with McDermott being here for the next 10-15 years.  This is based on what he's achieved so far and mostly b/c he is the guy who turned the franchise around.

The thinking with this group is that McDermott is effectively as good a HC as you're going to find, so why change?  Especially when you consider the benefit that continuity brings to the team...

Then you have the other faction of the fanbase that wants more than McDermott, IF we don't ____________ in the next few years.

The "blank" will vary from person to person.  "Appear in a SB" might be the answer for a lot of fans.  Others might demand a SB victory.  Other fans will be happy if we keep making the playoffs annually but bowing out before winning it all.

If we DO win a SB in the next couple of years, this whole thing will go away and McDermott will be here for his entire career.  

If we bow out, say, 2 more years in a row, it will get a lot more interesting.  I think Pegula will hold him to a "win it all" standard at some point.

As noted up-thread, this is still (at least 2? 3?) years down the road, however.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/8/2022 at 11:54 PM, Saint Doug said:

I’m not getting down on the coaches as some are on here. I think the 13 seconds debacle matters, but it’s a symptom of a much bigger issue. I don’t care about the squib vs no squib call. The fact remains that we kicked the ball off to a team with 13 seconds left and they were able to to put 3 points on the scoreboard. To me, it indicates a failure of execution by our defense. There’s 2 players (and by extension, 3) they needed to shut down for 2-3 plays: Hill and Kelce. They couldn’t even do this. Garbage defense. I will say, if Tre was playing, I bet we would’ve won that game. 

Not true though.  Their offense has far more weapons than just Kelce and Hill.   They could have gone to any of them on those two plays.

14 hours ago, ganesh said:

Not true though.  Their offense has far more weapons than just Kelce and Hill.   They could have gone to any of them on those two plays.

Then we should’ve forced them prove it. Instead, we left their 2 best receivers completely wide open. And, even after the catches, there were multiple missed tackles. I didn’t see Cincinnati have that problem. 

I just did a little self-check and I'm still as mad as I was when it happened.

The BENGALS are in the Super Bowl... THE BENGALS!

We're getting to the place with McDermott where it's time to get the team to the next level. I think he will. Some players might need to be let go if they can't deal with doing what it takes to win, and that's fine. 

We also REALLY missed Tre White in that game. He'll be back and that will be huge. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/8/2022 at 9:04 AM, Greg S said:

You are right. Look how long it took Andy Reid. That right there is proof its very to win. I still can't get over 13 seconds. I really think they would have beaten the Bengals at home in a close game. It would be BUF vs LA if not for 13 seconds but we will never know now.

Mahomes being a lot better than McNabb has a lot to do with Reid’s new found success.

• Like (+1) 1

Also, New England skewed peoples' ideas about Super Bowls. 

Even GREAT players, all-time HOF players, are BLESSED beyond belief to win 1 or 2 rings in a 15 year career. Many win 0 or only get 1 SB shot, if any at all. 

Because of what NE did, going to 9 Super Bowls with Brady, people look at someone like Peyton Manning who went to 4 Super Bowls, 2 with each team he played for, and won 2, 1 with each team he played for, as some sort of "letdown" who couldn't win the big games.

People STILL say that stuff: Peyton was great, but couldn't win the big games...

Yeah, he has 2 SB rings and played in 4, BUT....

As we are seeing, it is REALLY hard to even GET to 1 Super Bowl, let alone WIN 1. 

If by the end of Josh Allen's career he has Big Ben's career: 3 SB appearances and 2 wins, that is an all-time HOF level career. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Agree 2

Several weeks later I'm still doing a lot of soul searching as a fan and can't imagine the entire Bills organization isn't in the same mindset.

But there is no overreacting to such a horrendous loss that doesn't happen 99 times out of 100 in similar circumstances.

And 10 years from now if this team is still in search of an elusive championship we may look back as the 2021 season being the best opportunity we had but will have to replay those 13 seconds in infamy similar to the 17 years between the music city miracle debacle and finally getting back to the postseason again.

• Like (+1) 2

I will never forgive this coaching staff for this absolute collapse. I have no doubt in my mind that we would've steamrolled the Bengals en route to the Superbowl. This loss is gonna haunt me for a long time and there's simply no excuse. Why not squib the kick? And what was that coverage about? This team had a wide open window to a Lombardi and they crashed & burned. None of you will convince me otherwise 💯 👎

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It has not been stated I believe but over reaction is standard for this forum.

That may well be true, but it doesn't apply to the Tragedy of the 13 Seconds.

It is impossible to overact to that.

It's a cluster-$*#& of almost infinite magnitude.

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

Let's hope Allen can do the same for McDermott. Or better yet McDermott to get better as a coach and learn from his mistakes.

Or simply be replaced by someone better.  Any of the above work just fine for me.

I'm not his wife or his agent...I care about the Buffalo Bills---not any individual on the team.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I will never forgive this coaching staff for this absolute collapse. I have no doubt in my mind that we would've steamrolled the Bengals en route to the Superbowl. This loss is gonna haunt me for a long time and there's simply no excuse. Why not squib the kick? And what was that coverage about? This team had a wide open window to a Lombardi and they crashed & burned. None of you will convince me otherwise 💯 👎

I think LA would have been a challenge. Their DL against the Bills OL. Their offense against the Bills defense. I am not saying the Bills couldn't win but it would have been a tough game. If it was SF in the Super Bowl then I definitely think the Bills win but we will never know.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.