With McDermott, you can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Success

When do you look a the cost of his failures.  He wasted an opportunity this year that was right in front of him and this team.  He has been around football for years.  Been around other coaches and teams.  He has been around different systems, different GM's, different players, different fans.  Watched how many hours of game tape.  Watched how other teams that have won and gotten to the superbowl  and eventually won.  Watch how they did it too.

You have checks and balances for everything today.  The Ram's pushed everything in to the center of the table and went all in to get to the superbowl this year and we we will see how their risk versus reward plays out for them.

I don't see that level of risk in our Coach or the GM.  They take the conservative road first and they play the odds way to much.  When you want to win you have to take risks and you have to be the better team on the field to accomplish this.  Our team was not the better team Sunday.  Why because of our coaching.

Can you honestly say that he is going to learn from his mistakes.  He has been making these same mistakes and variations of them for four years.  

His last mistake cost us a AFCCG appearance.

I can't stand Steven A Smith.  But he is right.  Someone should have been fired before getting on that plane trip home.   I am not kidding either.

You have to be held accountable and this teams owner, GM,  and coaches will continue to squander this teams opportunities.

That is the ultimate cost.  

In a way this is such a bad reflection on the Bills new culture, but they have not learned how not to fail.   As much as they try and change the culture it comes down to one thing.  Our Stigma of not being able to win the big games all the way back to the 4 consecutive Super bowl days.

Winning is the only thing that matters !!!

It doesn't matter how you do it.  Winning is winning.  Coming in second  is not a option.

McD is not a winner in my book because he will not take the risks required to get this team to a super bowl.

Don't take it from me,  Yahoo Sports, GMFB, ESPN, FX1, Youtube, Twitter, NFL network, every single NFL media coverage outlet has said this loss was inexcusable. 

IMO, so do I.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Success said:

Same with Beane.  We have a coach & GM who have turned this team around COMPLETELY from the drought years.  They've brought in the right players, coached them up, gameplanned well and changed the culture.  

The Buffalo Bills are now one of the best teams in the league, and have a window that's open for miles.

I don't know what happened in the last 13 seconds of that game, but clearly, coaching errors were made.  From the kickoff, to the soft coverage, to singling on Kelce, to rushing 4.  But I saw those kinds of coaching mistakes all weekend, in all 4 games.  McVeigh is generally considered one of the best up & comers, and that game was almost a comedy of errors while the Rams gave up a 20 point lead and almost let that slip away. And look at Reid, who we all agree is one of the top coaches in the league now - Philly fans celebrated when he moved on.  He had years of futility in big games there, and was particularly known for terrible clock management.

We have a good one.  McD may never be elite, but there are so few elite coaches out there.  He's very good, and you stick w/ that.  He'll keep learning, and keep getting better in these situations.

There's only one elite coach out there, Belichick and the shine is quickly coming off him too without Brady.  Reid never won till he had Mahomes, Dungy won with Manning, Payton with Brees and only one time.  Even Don Shula only won 3 SB in about 40 years.  Sometimes all the stars align and a team/coach comes out of nowhere to win it Gruden in Tampa   Billick in Balt. etc.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Every team with a HC vacancy is praying we’re dumb enough to fire McD. Heck, there are probably teams that would consider firing their HC if they could get him. 

We have a good thing going. It sucks that we lost but we’re going to be contending every year. 

This

11 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Huh??? Philly won a SB without Reid before Reid won his in KC.  Seemed to work out well for both

Yeah I don't know if anyone else wins that game. The level of imagination they pulled out was great. They never got healthy after that and took some cap hits, but it was a great team. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

The Bills finished 15th, 12th, and 11th in sacks the last three years. Hardly bottom of the league. They also finished near the top of the league each year in sack% (6th this year), hurry% (1st this year), and pressure% (1st this year).

The Bills put pressure on Mahomes a number of times throughout the game and the Chiefs got pressure on Allen a number of times throughout the game. Perhaps you didn't notice the amazing athleticism of each of them in getting away from it over and over.

The end of that game was an offensive exhibition you may never see again. Both Allen and Mahomes were literally unstoppable. In the end, the Bills played toe to toe with the Chiefs. The game ended in regulation tied at 36-36 with both teams being almost identical in yards and points per drive. The Bills lost the coin toss and lost the game. My guess is that they would have won the game had they won the coin toss. It doesn't mean the Bills couldn't have made some better plays, defensively at times, or that the coaches couldn't have made better decisions at times. It simply means this team was good enough as it was to beat KC. They didn't. They will continue to get better and try again next year.

BTW, KC is near the bottom of the league in both pressure and sacks - and have been during their run. It hasn't seemed to stop them from winning the AFC and a SuperBowl.

And before you say they have Mahomes, remember we have Allen.  And, IMO, ultimately, the Bills winning the AFC and a SB is going to have much more to do with Allen and the offense than the defense, much like KC's success goes through Mahomes and the offense.

exactly...the bills win the coin toss and win the game. ..The narrative changes from everything buffalo did wrong to everything KC did wrong.   its all about perspective and sometimes that perspective is being viewed through a pinhole.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Every team with a HC vacancy is praying we’re dumb enough to fire McD. Heck, there are probably teams that would consider firing their HC if they could get him. 

We have a good thing going. It sucks that we lost but we’re going to be contending every year. 

just like the 90 Dolphins always contending.  Unless McD wins in the next 3 years he should be gone.  Same with Bean.  We have little elite talent outside Allen

4 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

When do you look a the cost of his failures.  He wasted an opportunity this year that was right in front of him and this team.  He has been around football for years.  Been around other coaches and teams.  He has been around different systems, different GM's, different players, different fans.  Watched how my hour of game tape.  Watched how other teams that have won and gotten to the superbowl  and eventually won.  Watch how they did it too.

You have a checks and balances for everything.  The Ram's pushed everything in to the center of the table and went all in to get to the superbowl this year and we we will see how their risk versus reward plays out for them.

I don't see that level of risk in our Coach or the GM.  They take the conservative road first and they play the odds way to much.  When you want to win you have to take risks and you have to be the better team on the field to accomplish this.  Our team was not the better team Sunday.  Why because of our coaching.

Can you honestly say that he is going to learn from his mistakes.  He has been making these same mistakes and variations of them for four years.  

His last mistake cost us a AFCCG appearance.

I can't stand Steven A Smith.  But he is right.  Someone should have been fired before getting on that plane trip home.   I am not kidding either.

You have to be held accountable and this teams owner, GM,  and coaches will continue to squander this teams opportunities.

That is the ultimate cost.  

In a way this is such a bad reflection on the Bills new culture, but they have not learned how not to fail.   As much as they try and change the culture it comes down to one thing.  Our Stigma of not being able to win the big games all the way back to the 4 consecutive Super bowl days.

Winning is the only thing that matters !!!

It doesn't matter how you do it.  Winning is winning.  Coming in second  is not a option.

McD is not a winner in my book because he will not take the risks required to get this team to a super bowl.

Don't take it from me,  Yahoo Sports, GMFB, ESPN, FX1, Youtube, Twitter, NFL network, every single NFL media coverage outlet has said this loss was inexcusable. 

IMO, so do I.

I think Bean is a huge problem also failing to upgrade the D. If these two are here in 3 years and we have not won I’m not waisting anymore time and money on this team, because it will be clear that settling for medocriacy is okay. 

37 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

exactly...the bills win the coin toss and win the game. ..The narrative changes from everything buffalo did wrong to everything KC did wrong.   its all about perspective and sometimes that perspective is being viewed through a pinhole.   

perhaps, or perhaps our D meltdown with 13 seconds is still talked about.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.