Okay the question since we are not Coaches & obviously know nothing... Did anyone after the TD think Kick it out of the end zone for a touchback?

Billsfan1972

I figured we'd  kick it out of the EZ cuz that's what we usually do. I'm sure Coach McDermott was concerned about a run back and based on the amount of kicking teams blunders this team pulled all year I don't blame him.

Playing prevent defense prevented us from winning bottom line.

4 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

It’s one thing when this team is average masquerading in our minds as something more. I actually think we are the best team in the league right now. And to get THAT game from our QB. Those 2 drives were probably the 2 best Bills drives in 30 years. If you can’t win that game….it might just never happen. That really sucks. This year it was there. You can’t go back. We will most likely never have a better shot. Sickening 

It was a great shot no doubt.  But not convinced there won't be at least one more.

56 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I’m sure that’s what McDermott was thinking.  And that’s the conventional line of thought.  But you gotta read the room in this situation.  Chiefs went 75 yards in about 40 seconds and Bills went 75 yards in 50 seconds the previous 2 possessions.   Mahomes and Allen were playing on another planet and both defenses looked gassed and helpless.  

Then you risk the ball not touching a player and going out of bounds and them getting the ball on the 40 plus if they dont touch it they don't lose any time off the clock. We did the right thing and me like most were saying 13 seconds we can do this and then we all saw what happened next. Why aren't more people asking where our all pro safeties were this game, what about Milano? He played awful along with Edmunds. At least the DL was getting penetration it's up to the LB's then to pursue.  

I would have tried the corner kick to the 3 yard line they have done all year.   But they were not allowing kickoff returns in that game.  Not just in that situation but all day.   I assume they were concerned with their speed.  I did not agree with that but I can accept it.   The whole prevent defense let them have 20 yards for two plays I cannot wrap my head around what they were thinking.   

they could have done the everyone hold on the kelce play and would have been forced i to a Hail Mary 

7 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I said to everyone at my place to kick it to like the 10 yard line and have them run 6-7 seconds off the clock.

Some thought squib, but then you can just fall on it.

Did anyone think kick it out of the end zone for a touchback????

I had visions of Music City Miracle so at the time I was happy it was a touchback.  I figured then it would come down to a Hail Mary (which would then bring up memories of Hail Murray).  I didn’t even imagine getting 45 yards the way they did in 10 seconds.   I’ve watched those plays over several times. The first pass to Hill was executed well by the Chiefs with blockers in front of him and after what he did earlier, the Bills did good to hold him to what he gained.  Then, the pass to Kelce was mind boggling.  There were 3 Bills in the area and he just easily ran into the middle of them.  What kind of defense was that?

The thing is, how we kicked in that situation has an objectively defined CORRECT ANSWER that is not the function of opinion.

It is on the coaching staff to KNOW THAT and execute it! 

And we didn't---that is inexcusable at this level.

I don't think either way is the wrong answer. Meaning squib kick or in the endzone. 13 seconds is 13 seconds. It's a tall task for any team to drive 40ish yards with 13 seconds. Unfortunately whoever decided to play that defense cost us. We gave up 2 big plays with 13 seconds left. Really unbelievable 

13 seconds. I don't like to mess around with kick offs. If you can kick it out of the end zone do it, that's been my approach.

My reasoning is it's hard to direct kickoffs. In a perfect world Bass squibs it and it makes down the field and they run off time. But things can go wrong. You just don't know how the ball will bounce.

That said, if I knew the Bills were planning to play prevent defense and give the Chiefs 20 yards on the 1st play then yes I would squib it. 

My focus is on the defensive strategy with 13 seconds left. Total choke job by McDermott and Frazier.

• Like (+1) 1

I told my wife and son "watch, we'll squib kick it here to run a little more time off the clock and avoid the possibility of a big return".  When Bass kicked it out of the end zone I was surprised, but with only 13 freaking seconds left I of course still thought we should be o.k.  As a Bills fan for over 50 years I should have known better to think that.

5 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I figured we'd  kick it out of the EZ cuz that's what we usually do. I'm sure Coach McDermott was concerned about a run back and based on the amount of kicking teams blunders this team pulled all year I don't blame him.

Playing prevent defense prevented us from winning bottom line.

It was a great shot no doubt.  But not convinced there won't be at least one more.

Pretty sure the Bills STs ranked in the top 5 again in the Dallas morning news rankings. They may have had a couple fumbles on the receiving end but the coverage units were solid. 

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Pretty sure the Bills STs ranked in the top 5 again in the Dallas morning news rankings. They may have had a couple fumbles on the receiving end but the coverage units were solid. 

OK. You may be right on the rankings, but there was more than "a couple fumbles" and why is that OK?  There was also the blocked punt pretty much costing us the game vs the Steelers.  and the fumble in the Colts game.  Costly.  There were others as well.

7 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

OK. You may be right on the rankings, but there was more than "a couple fumbles" and why is that OK?  There was also the blocked punt pretty much costing us the game vs the Steelers.  and the fumble in the Colts game.  Costly.  There were others as well.

The situation was involving the final kick and coverage units, why they chose to kick deep etc. The STs did have a blocked punt and as noted a couple of lost fumbles. Coverage units ranked highly and wouldn’t have been a reason to not kick short. Who said the fumbles were OK? McD made changes to kick return team based on those fumbles so he definitely didn’t think it was ok. 

Here you go.... Another thing to make you cry and wonder about McD....  Bills were #3 in the league.  The longest kick return allowed all year 33 yards!!!!!

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?group=D&cat=KR&yr=2021&lg=NFL

These are stats the coaches should know.

Absolutely you hit it to the 5-10 yard line and make them return it.

On 1/25/2022 at 5:55 AM, Billsfan1972 said:

Here you go.... Another thing to make you cry and wonder about McD....  Bills were #3 in the league.  The longest kick return allowed all year 33 yards!!!!!

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?group=D&cat=KR&yr=2021&lg=NFL

These are stats the coaches should know.

Absolutely you hit it to the 5-10 yard line and make them return it.

well, if you're thinking stats, their pass defense was first in the league.

33 minutes ago, finn said:

well, if you're thinking stats, their pass defense was first in the league.

Trust me I explained that away plenty of times this year.  The Bills played garbage QBs much of the year.  However I'm certainly no expert on special teams, but Pringle is a good, not great returner. 

I'm however exhausted and pretty much done.  The # errors the Bills made in the last 13 seconds is ridiculous.  The moment was too big for the coaches.... 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.