John Madden Calling Bills Game 1996

WotAGuy

If you want to hear John Madden calling the Bills win against the Cowboys in 1996, here you go. Todd Collins replaced Kelly, who injured his hamstring in practice that week. Some classic Maddenisms “beef on wiki”

Edited by WotAGuy
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I just went through a database posted in another article that referenced all of the games that John Madden announced in his entire career.

Other than the Houston Texans (who he never announced), the Bills were the team he called the least in a career that spanned 576 games

1. Super Bowl XXVI against Washington in 1992
  2. The above contest Dallas @ Bills in 1996
  3. The massive beatdown we took NE @ Bills on Sunday night in 2007

Yes, he was mostly calling NFC games for the majority of his career, but my god, even the Jaguars and the Bengals got more of his games

It IS fun listening to him.  I watched a little of the first quarter and the ending.   It's worth a look.  

A different era.   So cool to see them cut away for highlights from other games and see a clip of Barry Sanders being Barry Sanders.   Wow.  For that matter, it was pretty cool seeing the Lions beating someone, even if it only was the Bears. 

Thurman was still Thurman.  

Great stuff.  Thanks. 

19 minutes ago, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

That's my understanding too. Summerall had done a game with Tom Brookshier in Buffalo once -- Terry Miller's big day against the Giants in 1978. Those highlights are on YouTube too.

They did Super Bowl XXVI and I also remember them in a pre-season game from that same season, but in Buffalo I think you may be right.

Edited by vincec

Just now, vincec said:

They did Super Bowl XXVI and I also remember them in a pre-season game from that same season.

Yes but not in Buffalo. I remember reading in 1996 about precisely this question. A combination of the Bills not being good enough and there being only a couple of chances a year for Madden as NFC analyst to broadcast a game limited the possibilities. Thus he never had a chance to worship Jim Kelly the way he did Brett Favre.

Madden also lost the only time he ever coached in Orchard Park, on MNF in 1974.

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

I attended the game and remember it but it was not the most exciting contest to say the least. 

The Bills scored a TD early and then were in Alamo mode all game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

Yes but not in Buffalo. I remember reading in 1996 about precisely this question. A combination of the Bills not being good enough and there being only a couple of chances a year for Madden as NFC analyst to broadcast a game limited the possibilities. Thus he never had a chance to worship Jim Kelly the way he did Brett Favre.

Madden also lost the only time he ever coached in Orchard Park, on MNF in 1974.

The Bills scored a TD early and then were in Alamo mode all game.

Thanks.

I think Madden would have liked Kelly.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SMAKCruiser said:

I believe this is the only time Summeral and Madden did a game in Buffalo.

I had learned of this a couple days ago reading up about some of the Madden stuff.  Then last night I was watching the Packers Vikings game and they were playing a bunch of his old clips where he broadcasted games from Lambeau and was gushing and raving about how amazing the atmosphere was there and how it was his favorite city to go to for a game.  It made me sad he didn't get to spend more time in Buffalo because I think it would have been right up there for him with Green Bay for the experience.  Madden definitely had a Buffalonian kind of personality.  

Just now, bills6969 said:

I recommend the All Madden Doc that was just released.  Good stuff.

Great stuff.  Some guy called in on the Extra Point show with Sal Capaccio today and complained about there being too much Madden coverage and how he was sick of it.  Sal handled it well and obviously disagreed with the guy but pretty much everybody on Twitter and that called in after was roasting the guy.  The next guy that called in called him an idiot :lol:

During this broadcast, Madden was very complimentary about Buffalo’s fans and the collegiate atmosphere at the games. He takes about the food and the campers coming in on Fridays. 

Wish they had video of people jumping through tables. Madden: “And look at this guy on the roof of the bus!  He takes a swig of beer and BOOM! jumps right through that table there. That’s good technique there.  You need good technique to make it through those tables!”

Edited by WotAGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

During this broadcast, Madden was very complimentary about Buffalo’s fans and the collegiate atmosphere at the games. He takes about the food and the campers coming in on Fridays. 

Wish they had video of people jumping through tables. Madden: “And look at this guy on the roof of the bus!  He takes a swig of beer and BOOM! jumps right through that table there. That’s good technique there.  You need good technique to make it through those tables!”

Read this in Madden's voice and it brought a smile to my face. 

I watched 3 or 4 "Madden highlight" videos on Youtube when he died.

I saw the clip referenced above in Buffalo when he is talking about food.

Somehow, "beef on weck" came out as "beef on wiki" which I thought was weird.  

He was like "They love food in Buffalo so much this place has two types of food it's famous for.  Chicken wings and something called Beef on Wiki."

Back in those days, I always thought Madden had a definite NFC bias, because that was the conference he saw so much of.  He always came across like the NFC was a notch above the AFC.  Our 4 straight SB losses didn't help!  

I remember him talking one time about Reggie White and how he was clearly the best in the game, and he didn't mention Bruce Smith in the same conversation at all, which I thought was a little off. 

In those days, Pat Summerall and Madden were pretty widely regarded as the premier NFL broadcast crew.

I was never a huge Summerall fan (too dry and boring for my taste) but I loved Madden.

I think everyone did!  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.