Importance of the Run Game

Protocal69

Ive been having some thoughts for a little time about the Bills run game and how it correlates wins and after watching the Chargers lose a game where they clearly out rushed KC and in my opinion should have won the game I finally decided to research it a little further since I had some time on my hands to see what the Bills record is when we out-rush the opponent and visa versa.

So since the start of the 2019 season Josh Allen and the Bills are 24-3 when they out rush their opponent for the game and 6-12 when the opponent out-rushes the Bills for the game.

The Bills only loses since 2019 when they have out rushed their opponent and still lost is that time was against New England in 2019 when Josh Allen got knocked out of the game, and the Pitt game, and TampaBay game where we lost in OT.

So basically we are a injury( New England) /blocked punt (Pittsburgh)/ and a OT loss ( Tampa) away of being undefeated since 2019 when the Bills as a whole rushes for more yards than their opponent.

Especially for the way teams want to play us now I think upgrading the guard positions to help us to stay balanced when needed in the run game will get us to the Superbowl no doubt in the near future. Also on the defense figure out a way to get another run stuffing DT or 2

In the meantime, Lets get in the playoffs this year and get to the Superbowl. Just saying!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

You don’t need to lead the league in rushing but having the threat of a run is important and that only comes with competence.  

We’re seeing what happens in Buffalo and KC when a high-powered offense can’t run the football.  Teams play Cover 2 and drop men into coverage.  Teams either need a QB with pinpoint accuracy on short passes or a running game to take advantage of a weak box.

The Bills have neither and also a poor OL to boot.  

This is a huge reason why the Bills offense has struggled so much.  

• Like (+1) 3

This doesn't mean rushing = winning because it is somehow a superior strategy to passing.

It means that when teams go into the lead, they rush a lot, to kill clock.

So when you are winning, you rush.

When you are losing, you probably don't run so much.

Don't get too caught up in the idea rushing = we will win.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

Just now, JohnNord said:

You don’t need to lead the league in rushing but having the threat of a run is important and that only comes with competence.  

We’re seeing what happens in Buffalo and KC when a high-powered offense can’t run the football.  Teams play Cover 2 and drop men into coverage.  Teams either need a QB with pinpoint accuracy on short passes or a running game to take advantage of a weak box.

I agree we definitely we dont need to lead the league in rushing but to have a balanced run game to keep defenses honest is the key  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

While there's plenty of blame to go around for offensive struggles lately from injuries affecting the OL, poor execution etc...having taken all of those things into consideration I still feel Daboll has been more of the reason than those others imo.

His lack of adjustments and questionable decisions has been more of the problem than anything else imo

28 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This doesn't mean rushing = winning because it is somehow a superior strategy to passing.

It means that when teams go into the lead, they rush a lot, to kill clock.

So when you are winning, you rush.

When you are losing, you probably don't run so much.

Don't get too caught up in the idea rushing = we will win.

I dont think that at all. I dont want to be the Ravens I just want to be able to run the ball when the situation dictates it. I just thought it was a interesting stat and I just feel that with Josh Allen arm talent and mobility to pair just a respectable running game would help alot in the close losses especially this year. Case in point our last game vs Tampa Bay. Josh ran for a lot but those runs by singletary really helped with those corner blitzes and pressures that Tampa ran to help us get back into the game.

I just feel like a run game would make us unstoppable.

Edited by Protocal69

11 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

I agree we definitely we dont need to lead the league in rushing but to have a balanced run game to keep defenses honest is the key  

Exactly....and so much talk about "Bills have no running game", "RBs suck", "OL sucks" etc, I may be the minority here...but I think it's more to it than that. I feel like the RBs don't get nearly enough opportunities and that also plays a part. There's been some good runs here and there this season the very few times a running play has been called. 

Just saying while obviously improvement is needed, a RB(s) getting 5-10 carries per game likely isn't going to have a chance to get good numbers as a RB getting 20 attempts or so per game.

I do think the running game isn't as bad as it seems to be. 

You're confusing cause w/ effect. 

We're a pass 1st team.  I think you'll find most instances of us outrushing our opponents are either due to them being unable to run, us seriously kicking their butts so they choose not to run, &/or we're doing so well we choose to run more.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

While there's plenty of blame to go around for offensive struggles lately from injuries affecting the OL, poor execution etc...having taken all of those things into consideration I still feel Daboll has been more of the reason than those others imo.

His lack of adjustments and questionable decisions has been more of the problem than anything else imo

The whole “lack of adjustments”’is a fallacy.  If you watch the film you know there’s been plenty of times where they’ve tried to make adjustment on offense and defense.  It just didn’t work. At the end of the day the problem is an OL and DL who get pushed around

6 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

The whole “lack of adjustments”’is a fallacy.  If you watch the film you know there’s been plenty of times where they’ve tried to make adjustment on offense and defense.  It just didn’t work. At the end of the day the problem is an OL and DL who get pushed around

Yeah definitely there are times (some but not a lot) a play may get changed at the line or an adjustment the fails. There have been times where too many "wtf" plays were called that didn't get changed too. And do you disagree that Daboll has not been making adjustments like he should far too often? I mean it's clear to me it's an area that comes into question.

Also after the franchise, star QB is limping in pain he continued to call designed QB runs. I feel he is a little more at fault than everything else. 

• Agree 1

You really need to be able to attack an opponent in a variety of ways.  You need to be unpredictable.

You want your team to give opposing DC's nightmares.  Right now, I think opposing DC's fear Allen - but they don't fear the Bills offense.  

It won't take much.  Shore up the line, get a real #1 back. All of the guys we have right now would be able # 2's.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Success said:

You really need to be able to attack an opponent in a variety of ways.  You need to be unpredictable.

You want your team to give opposing DC's nightmares.  Right now, I think opposing DC's fear Allen - but they don't fear the Bills offense.  

It won't take much.  Shore up the line, get a real #1 back. All of the guys we have right now would be able # 2's.

That was point I was trying to make. Imagine if Allen is Allen plus a run game when needed. How many 3 and 4 and less than 2 are we not converting because of a lack of a consistant run game. Run game does not matter when you are blowing out the Dolphins but it would have made a difference vs the Titans for example. What good was Josh 353 when we couldn't convert a 4th and short to win a close game

BTW in wins Bills average 129 yards per game rushing and 98 yards rushing in losses. I would bet in those losses Josh Allen was the leading rusher. I dont feel like looking it up know for sure.

Edited by Protocal69
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ßookie_tech said:

Oh but some posters freak out when they think of this team trying to establish the run when were paying Josh 258 mil... 

John Elway couldn't win a SB without a running game. 

Not sure if serious, but I have not seen anything like that from anyone.....but if serious and some feel that way then that's very odd, although considering some of the nonsense from a few that's posted it would not surprise me. 

Common sense that every team would want to establish a run game, 

I think the running game becomes way more important when the weather turns cold and the winds pick up.

Even though Josh as the arm to cut through that wind?  It still affects the throws...it affects the ability of the WR to catch the ball.   You need look no further then the way that ball was all over the place that Diggs dropped that would have won the patriot game.

- It slows down pass rush and our OL isnt great at run blocking OR pass protection

- It makes play action more effective

- It keeps a offense that has gotten hot off the field and affects their play calling

- It wears out defenses

So even though we through a TON.....we still need to be able to run it.

On 12/18/2021 at 4:05 AM, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Not sure if serious, but I have not seen anything like that from anyone.....but if serious and some feel that way then that's very odd, although considering some of the nonsense from a few that's posted it would not surprise me. 

Common sense that every team would want to establish a run game, 

Yes unfortunately serious. In another thread I said Josh would thrive in a Kyle Shannahan dynamic run-heavy, play action style offense. Some responded saying they would lose their mind if we were a run first team with a qb like Josh and given his contract. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.