Insane Stat of the Day Josh Allen.

MAJBobby

I love this stat. I don't think he has taken more than 5 true hits doing these TD runs either.  Some were from 30+ yards away too.

His TD runs do NOT factor in the overall lack of running game discussions. His other runs, OK.

I don't like he runs so much otherwise except for this last game, and I sure wished he had done so a lot more vs the Pats!

In some games earlier this season it wasn't always a good time to risk his health but the last 2 games called for that IMO. 

2 hours ago, JDubya76 said:

That is amazing from a player perspective. It is nauseating from a coordinator/GM perspective. As an OC, you put your franchise on the line more than 29 times for points. As a GM you did not provide your team with a RB and line that can do the job on short yardage/red zone.

Actually, it is a little from column A and a little from column B. Allen is an exceptional red-zone talent and should be used as such AND we should have better RBs and a better line....

54 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:
1 hour ago, Billl said:

Injuries happen MORE in the pocket than a QB on the run. That is the reality. 

Are you under the impression that when QBs run that they are somehow immune from getting injured in the pocket when they throw?  Allen is near the very top of the league in pass attempts.  He’s then got nearly 100 rushing attempts on top of those.  Every one of those is an extra chance to get injured.

Just now, Billl said:

Are you under the impression that when QBs run that they are somehow immune from getting injured in the pocket when they throw?  Allen is near the very top of the league in pass attempts.  He’s then got nearly 100 rushing attempts on top of those.  Every one of those is an extra chance to get injured.

Days like yesterday have to be reserved for playoffs typically. Otherwise, Allen's career will be like Newton's, the life span of a St. Bernard. Just a shame such an exemplary performance was marred by blatant elbow on the scales by the refs.

51 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Except that you are then beholden to that one player. OL upgrades are better for the long run. As examples, Singletary would be lot more effective if we had a stronger run blocking OL core. (assuming Dumb-oll would call those run plays)

But, yesterday, Allen had more time in the second half. Did the adjustments include OL changes? I would like to see what was different between half 1 and half 2. 

Tampa stopped Blitzing because Allen was getting out of the pocket

7 minutes ago, Billl said:

Telling you the Facts. It has been well reported. QB is exposed in the pocket and has a better chance at getting hurt than running. 

https://www.fantasypoints.com/nfl/articles/season/2021/mobile-quarterbacks-and-injury-rates

https://www.filmstudybaltimore.com/new-study-quarterbacks-that-run-most-are-not-injured-most/

https://www.theundroppables.com/medical-myths-mobile-qbs/

Edited by MAJBobby

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Did they?  OR more likely Teams playing allen Differently this year.  Josh covered alot of their flaws in the OL last year too.

Yes I believe they did, go back and watch some of those games, he had all day to throw at times.  I can remember him standing in the pocket with both feet planted stationary looking downfield on a regular basis.  That has not happened this year as much.  Are teams playing the Bills O different this year, yes they are.  And maybe the OL has been exposed more than anything...

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Here is a nice little Stat.  Buffalo Bills Rushing TD leaders In the HISTORY of the team.  In 4 years the Bills QB already up to 5th all time, and has a good look at getting to 3 all time before the end of the season.  

Get this team a freaking OL please.

When it's all said and done, he will be the clear all time Bills rushing TD leader.

• Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Yes I believe they did, go back and watch some of those games, he had all day to throw at times.  I can remember him standing in the pocket with both feet planted stationary looking downfield on a regular basis.  That has not happened this year as much.  Are teams playing the Bills O different this year, yes they are.  And maybe the OL has been exposed more than anything...

As I said by Josh covered their flaws last year too.  And McD and Beane decided to run it back with the same flawed OL

Just now, Magox said:

When it's all said and done, he will be the clear all time Bills rushing TD leader.

I think he very well might be, I would not take that weapon off out of the arsenal in the Redzone.

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:
12 minutes ago, Billl said:

Telling you the Facts. It has been well reported. QB is exposed in the pocket and has a better chance at getting hurt than running

And I’m telling you facts.  Whatever chance a QB has of getting hurt in the pocket then gets added to his chance of getting hurt in the run game.

Look at the running QBs in the NFL.  Lamar got hurt yesterday…again.  Josh is in a boot.  Murray missed multiple games.  Cam Newton went from an MVP to a broken down shell of himself.

Compare those guys to to all time greats we’ve seen recently with Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Rivers, and Roethlisberger.  Other than a QB sneak, you pretty much never saw a designed run called for any of them.  There’s a reason they all played into their late 30s and early 40s.  It’s not because they never took hits in the pocket.  It’s because they didn’t subject themselves to an extra 1,500 potential hits apiece over the course of their careers.

Some injuries are instantaneous, but most are cumulative.  Even things like ACLs are usually the result of years of stress until they finally pop, often due to non-contact situations.  One week you just need an ice bath, the next week you’re in a boot.  One year you’re dinged up, the next year you’re having shoulder surgery.

It’s just such an unnecessary risk to rely on a QB as part of your running game unless it’s someone like Lamar who simply isn’t a threat as a pure pocket passer when the threat of a run is diminished.  If Moss, Singletary, and Breida are all lost for the season, the Bills Super Bowl odds barely change.  If Josh goes down, the season is over.  I understand that when the game and/or season is on the line that having a guy who can run like Josh is an immensely valuable weapon, but he averages 100 attempts per year, and he’s on pace for 114 this season.  If that keeps up, it absolutely will shorten his career.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

This offseason will teach us a lot about Beane. 

Yes it will.  There is going to be a staggering amount of roster churn the next two off seasons.  Nearly every position group excluding QB and (probably) CB has major decisions to make.

1 hour ago, Billl said:

There is more of a chance for injury in the pocket.  Big bodies collapsing, getting blindsided, hit while planted, hit while not moving, standing in for the throw without being able to brace for a hit, etc.  This has been studied already.

1 hour ago, Gene1973 said:

Idiotic thing to say, especially after the failings of this season.

Singletary doesnt look any worse at back than anyone else in the league not named Henry/Taylor types when he gets the ball and gets a block.  He has shown it time and again.  Guy gets a big run and they take him off the field for Moss.

1 hour ago, Billl said:

And I’m telling you facts.  Whatever chance a QB has of getting hurt in the pocket then gets added to his chance of getting hurt in the run game.

Look at the running QBs in the NFL.  Lamar got hurt yesterday…again.  Josh is in a boot.  Murray missed multiple games.  Cam Newton went from an MVP to a broken down shell of himself.

Compare those guys to to all time greats we’ve seen recently with Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, Rivers, and Roethlisberger.  Other than a QB sneak, you pretty much never saw a designed run called for any of them.  There’s a reason they all played into their late 30s and early 40s.  It’s not because they never took hits in the pocket.  It’s because they didn’t subject themselves to an extra 1,500 potential hits apiece over the course of their careers.

Some injuries are instantaneous, but most are cumulative.  Even things like ACLs are usually the result of years of stress until they finally pop, often due to non-contact situations.  One week you just need an ice bath, the next week you’re in a boot.  One year you’re dinged up, the next year you’re having shoulder surgery.

It’s just such an unnecessary risk to rely on a QB as part of your running game unless it’s someone like Lamar who simply isn’t a threat as a pure pocket passer when the threat of a run is diminished.  If Moss, Singletary, and Breida are all lost for the season, the Bills Super Bowl odds barely change.  If Josh goes down, the season is over.  I understand that when the game and/or season is on the line that having a guy who can run like Josh is an immensely valuable weapon, but he averages 100 attempts per year, and he’s on pace for 114 this season.  If that keeps up, it absolutely will shorten his career.

All who have gotten injured and in some cases missed entire season.

2 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

He's not a playmaker, never has been.

4 carries 52 yards 6 catches 37 yards yesterday.  Cant know if he is a playmaker if they dont give him the ball.  Cant know if he is a playmaker behind this garbage o line.  He just as good as any other non primier back in the league.  Now if you are saying you want a Henry, or a Taylor, or another star RB like that then thats not what I am arguing.  He obviously isnt that.

• Like (+1) 1

I see this stat as an indicator that the Bills have had only 2 great RB's in 60+ years. Make no mistake, Allen is a QB, not an RB. Put back up QB under center and Allen taking hand offs, stats would be nowhere close to his current rushing TD's. Valuable yes, comparable, no.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Billl said:

Guess you don’t want to read the actual Data. It’s fine keep your head in the sand.   How many QBs on IR this year? How many ended up there in the pocket like Winston. How many missed Games this year?  How many injured in Pocket like Tua? 

fact remains more severe injuries happen in the pocket when your feet are planted looking downfield to throw a football. 

Brady - Knee gone for the year. In pocket wear and tear?

tell me about Mannings Neck

Brees shoulder 

The myriad of Big Ben Injuries

now go watch the Tampa game and compare the Hits Josh took in the pocket to those he took running. Tell me again which hits are more violent 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Eyeroll 1

Josh Allen is becoming the most hyped non-clutch guy in history.

Where is Allen when it matters? Why didn't he bury the Bucs in OT yesterday. He is 0-5 in close games. He needs to produce in big spots. He just isn't doing it. 

Sorry, but sometimes the truth hurts. He is not clutch. Not yet anyway. 

• Vomit 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.