James Webb Space Telescope And The Search For Our Distant Past

Tiberius

3 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Although I agree that really doesn’t matter.  The news reports about Webb, after an initial grace period, will all be alien false starts.  You’ll have to dig for the actual science and the false alien crapola will be endless.

I believe the exact opposite will be the case; you’ll have to dig for the false alien crapola in the piles of all the actual science that will be amassed. Nobody is expecting alien life to be discovered by the Webb telescope. I think the science community accepts that the odds are stacked against it, anyway. There is more empty space in the universe than there is anything else that’s in it, after all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I believe the exact opposite will be the case; you’ll have to dig for the false alien crapola in the piles of all the actual science that will be amassed. Nobody is expecting alien life to be discovered by the Webb telescope. I think the science community accepts that the odds are stacked against it, anyway. There is more empty space in the universe than there is anything else that’s in it, after all.

Lol.  Go to Google right now and type in James Webb.  Then do the same thing adding the word aliens.  Every time Webb discovers something that can’t be immediately explained……and this should happen a lot……there will be articles speculating about aliens.  Think “fast radio bursts on steroids”.

19 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Then the countless years of being seen as a failure because despite many inevitable amazing scientific discoveries, it will discover zero evidence of intelligent aliens.  Because there are none.

FFS.

You've already ruined a fun, long-running thread on this board because of your persistent obsession, that there is no other life in the universe.

Now you're going to drag this thread down the same path?

Listen.  Just know that you're the only one bringing alien life into the conversation. 

Please don't derail this thread.  I'm very interested in hearing about the telescopes new-found discoveries, without having to read through your trolling.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

FFS.

You've already ruined a fun, long-running thread on this board because of your persistent obsession, that there is no other life in the universe.

Now you're going to drag this thread down the same path?

Listen.  Just know that you're the only one bringing alien life into the conversation. 

Please don't derail this thread.  I'm very interested in hearing about the telescopes new-found discoveries, without having to read through your trolling.

Watch and learn.  I share your wish that the news about Webb is scientific.

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Lol.  Go to Google right now and type in James Webb.  Then do the same thing adding the word aliens.  Every time Webb discovers something that can’t be immediately explained……and this should happen a lot……there will be articles speculating about aliens.  Think “fast radio bursts on steroids”.

Googling “James Webb” and “aliens” won’t inform me at all about its mission. You seem to be conflating the scientific goals of the mission with the media sensationalism that it may generate as a result. We can choose to take that bait or not. I suspect the scientists involved won’t. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Watch and learn.  I share your wish that the news about Webb is scientific.

News about Webb being scientific or the editorializing of that scientific news? Because I don’t think NASA and the hundreds of other scientists worldwide that will be interpreting data will be creating news about “aliens” since that’s not what they’re interested in.

I agree with @Bad Things, let’s confine this thread to Webb specific science and use the UFO/Aliens thread for any discussion pertaining to that subject. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Then the countless years of being seen as a failure because despite many inevitable amazing scientific discoveries, it will discover zero evidence of intelligent aliens.  Because there are none.

intelligent life 

or 

inhabitable planets 🌏  🪐 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Nobody is expecting alien life to be discovered by the Webb telescope. I think the science community accepts that the odds are stacked against it, anyway.

There are many and I mean scientist's who think it can

https://www.newsweek.com/james-webb-space-telescope-tremendous-impact-search-alien-life-1662887

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, DrDare said:

There are many and I mean scientist's who think it can

https://www.newsweek.com/james-webb-space-telescope-tremendous-impact-search-alien-life-1662887

As I’ve said, discovery of alien life would be a nice to have, but searching for it is just not the core mission of the telescope. It stands to reason that being able to see things about planets, etc. that we haven’t been able to previously would have a huge impact on our knowledge of a number of things, including the existence of or the conditions for alien life. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

As I’ve said, discovery of alien life would be a nice to have, but searching for it is just not the core mission of the telescope. It stands to reason that being able to see things about planets, etc. that we haven’t been able to previously would have a huge impact on our knowledge of a number of things, including the existence of or the conditions for alien life. 

Yeah I'd guess unless something incredible just slaps them in the face they may be more focused on the beginning of time/the universe.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Exhibit A

From the last paragraph of that article:

Harold Connolly Jr., a professor at Rowan University in New Jersey who is currently involved with two asteroid sample return missions—NASA's OSIRIS-Rex and the Japanese Space Agency's (JAXA) Hayabusa2—told Newsweek: "In my thinking, we will never be able to prove definitively through the data collected by JWST that a specific planetary body contains life.“

Edited by K-9

7 hours ago, K-9 said:

I use this theory related to golf and trees, and somehow I am almost always wrong!  🤷‍♂️

You’d think I would learn. No worries, I take a LOT of balls. 

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

I use this theory related to golf and trees, and somehow I am almost always wrong!  🤷‍♂️

You’d think I would learn. No worries, I take a LOT of balls. 

I hear that! The universe is 90% air!😂

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

We’re sending out signals letting everyone know we’re here. What if the aliens are hiding cause they know what’s out there?  Then they kill us to stay hidden?

Or, they like us based on what signals they've received....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.