THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Still Some Building to be Done

Shaw66

I feel you man! The feeling after losses changed for me last year when I knew 100% we had a superstar franchise QB and a team capable of going to the SB.

Two game losing streak stinks but Like you said it was against both 1 seeds from each conference.  We lost by 10 total points and a play or 2 different and we win both games. 

It doesn't hurt as much because I still feel the 21 Bills are legit contenders for a SB.

When I get home I'm going to put a nice sum of cash on them winning the divisio,Conference and SB because the odds have likely went way down. 

I'd guess it doesn't bother you as much for similar reasons.  For so long a loss meant no playoffs with a month to go. That has changed and I'm still optimistic!

All 7 points are spot on.  I especially agree on Allen - I'd follow that guy through the gates of hell at this point. I think it was he & no one else who inspired the rest of the team to that 2nd half comeback.  If you're a player on a team, and you see that kind of effort, it lifts you up.  He's a true leader.

I love Phillips play over the past few weeks - as well as Davis. And I think Jackson is playing really well.  He's physical and seems to read the field well.

I'd add Brown.  I didn't focus on him, but he was hard to miss on Allen's long TD run. Somehow, he outran Allen to the goal-line for the last block he needed after that long run.  And the play before, he pushed the defender right off his feet.  

I wish I could be like you on the losses.  I've been a fan for 50 years, and the last 2 weeks ripped my heart out.  But, being the Bills fan that I am, I am already looking ahead & still believing that it's all there for the taking for this team.

I like how you talked about lack of emotions as fans.  I only got really pissed once OT started and the team wasted an opportunity.  Everything else was par for the course with this largely moribund franchise.  You get old, and yeah, you have ***** to do.  I was doing this stew last night, and at some point, when it was 24-3, I had to focus on that.  Hate me if you want, whilst I had YouTube TV in the background, but I've seen both the best and the worst of this franchise, and the first half was a total, and steaming garbage fire.  Excuse me if I am unmoved, because I've been through this drill before.

Edited by Groin

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks.   As I said in response to someone else, then Edmunds identified the problem well and respondes, just couldn't make the play.  

Someone, I'm guessing in the Boston Globe, said McD should have gone for the TD at the end of regulation.  Win it or lose, but don't give Brady another chance. 

I was thinking the same thing during the game. 

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The Bills are 0-5 in close games this year because they are banking karma for the postseason. At least that's what I tell myself.

They're planning on all blowout wins!

Seriously, success in the playoffs is dependent on how well your team is playing in the playoffs.   It's still a month a way, and the Bills aren't a bad team right now.  If they pull some things together, they could have a serious playoff run.  

What things?   Well, if Feliciano comes back, that's one thing that could help a lot.  If Daboll continues to have success diversifying the offense, that's a another.  Not hard to imagine the defense going on a run - it's a really good defense.  

Ravens, Bengals, Browns, Chiefs, Chargers all have struggled in mid-season, just like the Bills.  Pats and Chiefs are the only teams on hot streaks right now.   

It simply isn't far-fetched to see the Bills being a tough out in the playoffs.  

Or, of course, they continue as we've seen and make an early exit, or miss the playoffs altogether.  

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

They're planning on all blowout wins!

Seriously, success in the playoffs is dependent on how well your team is playing in the playoffs.   It's still a month a way, and the Bills aren't a bad team right now.  If they pull some things together, they could have a serious playoff run.  

What things?   Well, if Feliciano comes back, that's one thing that could help a lot.  If Daboll continues to have success diversifying the offense, that's a another.  Not hard to imagine the defense going on a run - it's a really good defense.  

Ravens, Bengals, Browns, Chiefs, Chargers all have struggled in mid-season, just like the Bills.  Pats and Chiefs are the only teams on hot streaks right now.   

It simply isn't far-fetched to see the Bills being a tough out in the playoffs.  

Or, of course, they continue as we've seen and make an early exit, or miss the playoffs altogether.  

Still see 11-6.  Quit thinking the Pats are a juggernaut.

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I don't begrudge Edmunds for the TD.  Perriman should have been covered already. But Edmunds not finishing that tackle on Fournette might've been the game. His run support skills are waining.

Gabe Davis needs to Immediately become our WR2. Limit Sanders's snaps now. The structure of the fake punt was destined to fail. Not going for 4th & 3 was a fail on McD. Dane played commendable and will be a good depth cb when Tre returns. Love Harry's motor but Ed deserves a true 1T next to him. Coaching has to improve. Daboll's runs on 1st down are so frustrating. I think we'll limp to 10-7 and be the 7th WC. But this OL is not getting us to LA.

The Punt Fake actually looked really good if Matakevich held his block a second longer. We had numbers on the edge.

It was a fun loss, if there is such a thing.

Edmunds put the blame on his shoulders post game, but watching the play back Levi is covering the same guy as another DB. It seems that there should've been a DB on Perriman and I think I heard that McD said something about it in today's presser.

Dane Jackson seems very solid. Maybe better than Levi at this point and he's a much better interview, based on their post game presser.

I feel pretty confident that the Bills found their mojo in the 2nd half. Allen felt too and he seemed to sincerely think they'll go on a run now.

Season long flaw with the Bills win or lose, is the inability to establish a rythym on offense of any sort.  I don't think it as simple as "run more".  

I would be interested to see what would happen if the let Allen call the plays.  He is better than everyone on the world at everything else he is paid to do, so it would be interesting to see if he also an OC on the field. 

12 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I’ve been a Bills fan for 62 years.  This year I’ve noticed that, for the first time in my life as a fan, the losses don’t bother me much more than watching say, the Broncos lose.  My family and friends offer condolences, but I don’t need them.   It’s just a football game. 

It wasn’t always that way – I used to agonize over each of the 492 losses.

I’m not sure exactly when, or how, this happened, but it happened.

It's kind of like this for me as well, a fan of 45ish years.  I went to bed kind of bent out of shape last night, and woke up this morning with a shrug.  Life went on, and I found myself posting on Off the Wall, and of course hoping for better results in the future from this team, but without any of the angst or vitriol towards God, the coaches, the mistakes, or the refs.  Kind of odd because I was not like this in 2020.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.