Eighty Years Ago Today....

Tiberius

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

And the real prize the IJN was seeking...our 4 carriers stationed at Pearl...were "out to sea on maneuvers."

Coincidence?  Luck?  Timing?

Or more?!

There are plenty of theories suggesting the U.S. knew in advance that the attack was coming.  

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

And the real prize the IJN was seeking...our 4 carriers stationed at Pearl...were "out to sea on maneuvers."

Coincidence?  Luck?  Timing?

Or more?!

Could they (the carrier fleet) have been out looking for them?

I know it sounds out there... But, who would have known true intentions back then.  Brass keeps quiet, goes about business... I find it hard to believe maneuvers are just maneuvers. They are floating out there for a reason. Sadly the Japanese got through faster than you can say Damien Harris pops a 64 yard TD run...

...But they awoke a sleeping giant.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

For those interested, this is one of the best accounts of the Japanese attacks I have seen so far.  

It's excellent.  Explains in detail what happened and why.  

How stupid. There was no way this attack was going to hurt the United States long term. Sometimes people believe their own propaganda, America is weak because they let women have rights. 

45 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I was reading about the attack last week.  I didn't know that on that day the IJN not only attacked Pearl Harbor but they also attacked the Philippines, Hong Kong, and other strategic areas of SE Asia.  Very bold...too bold. 

Bold to run 46 times last night and pass 3 times! 

The Japanese needed oil! Desperate people do bold, desperate things for their imperial conquests.

Like the Cheatriots need to make the playoffs.   We got 'em @ Midway like we gonna get them at Foxborough! 😉 

23 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The Japanese needed oil! Desperate people do bold, desperate things for their imperial conquests.

Like the Cheatriots need to make the playoffs.   We got 'em @ Midway like we gonna get them at Foxborough! 😉 

I'm gonna start calling Josh "A-Bomb"

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

How stupid. There was no way this attack was going to hurt the United States long term. Sometimes people believe their own propaganda, America is weak because they let women have rights. 

WTF is this?

Sounds like you believe your own propaganda. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

There are plenty of theories suggesting the U.S. knew in advance that the attack was coming.  

The US didn't.

Far, far more likely that the British did know, but there is no compelling evidence that anybody really knew, though they should have.

Embryonic intel performance, but ultimately, a Japanese suicide.

44 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Bold?  No....brilliant.  You all are still pissed that it wasn't Brady that had the Bills number it's Belichick.  He's kicked the how many Bills' coachs' asses over the years? 

And the jealousy train rolls on and on.  

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

4 hours ago, Tiberius said:

download-15.jpg.3f268dc18344baa7f1cec0782da0fcc7.jpg

The empire of Japan attacked our outpost in Hawaii 

We were finally in World War 2 

Yamamoto was educated in the US.  Was impressed by the vastness of the country, and our industrial resources.  Based on that, he warned against attacking the US, but was ignored. 

Just now, Marv's Neighbor said:

Yamamoto was educated in the US.  Was impressed by the vastness of the country, and our industrial resources.  Based on that, he warned against attacking the US, but was ignored. 

Yup, the army was in control. They made fun of Yamamoto for using the fleet as his body guard. 

I’m watching a 2 hour episode on the History Channel right now. Pearl Harbor: 24 Hours After. I’ve seen it before, but had forgotten how badly McArthur comes off. How does he get caught with his pants down twice. Is there more to it? How is he not ready when they hit the Philippines less than 24 hours after Pearl Harbor? He supposedly swore they were ready.  If you’re into conspiracies, isn’t Pearl Harbor enough to get the country fired up? 

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Could they (the carrier fleet) have been out looking for them?

I know it sounds out there... But, who would have known true intentions back then.  Brass keeps quiet, goes about business... I find it hard to believe maneuvers are just maneuvers. They are floating out there for a reason. Sadly the Japanese got through faster than you can say Damien Harris pops a 64 yard TD run...

...But they awoke a sleeping giant.

I came to this thread to escape those thoughts! It’s OK, we all cope in the ways we see fit. I run away and hide!  :)

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m watching a 2 hour episode on the History Channel right now. Pearl Harbor: 24 Hours After. I’ve seen it before, but had forgotten how badly McArthur comes off. How does he get caught with his pants down twice. Is there more to it? How is he not ready when they hit the Philippines less than 24 hours after Pearl Harbor? He supposedly swore they were ready.  If you’re into conspiracies, isn’t Pearl Harbor enough to get the country fired up? 

I came to this thread to escape those thoughts! It’s OK, we all cope in the ways we see fit. I run away and hide!  :)

You don't strike me as an escapee. 😉 😜 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.