Brian Kelly to LSU

YoloinOhio

17 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Jim Sexton is about to be knocking on some doors in Tuscaloosa. If Kelly is worth 15 million, Saban is worth 25 million. There is no comparison between the two. None whatsoever.

Sorry, jmo.

Notre Dame recruits the same players as do the SEC schools. A friend of mine teaches high school in VA. He told me that Notre Dame was there recruiting a kid who was a great player, and also a criminal and a gang member. Notre Dame athletes all being Rhodes Scholars is a myth. 

It is partially a myth, but not entirely. The standards ARE higher than at places like LSU, which has no standards outside of being a good football player.

Holy Cow WOW....I didn't see that one coming. Mr mup is the hugest domer there is and watches all the Fighting Irish webcasts, any and all Irish he is on it.....Kelly leaving for LSU?

wow.....who do the Irish hire? Please no a-holes or other ex college program retread....oboi cant wait to hear what he has to say about this.....

55 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

THUD 10 years NINETY FIVE MILLION reasons to wave bye bye to Touchdown Jesus. SMH wow

58 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It is partially a myth, but not entirely. The standards ARE higher than at places like LSU, which has no standards outside of being a good football player.

I don't know much about LSU, but I know that Alabama is now the second ranked school in the SEC in terms of academics, ranked only under Vanderbilt. They come up to Long Island and offer big scholarships to Long Island kids. 

Saban built not only the football team but the basketball team, women's sports (especially softball) and the school has improved by leaps and bounds academically by the huge dollars he brings in. Listen to kids like Najee Harris, Mac Jones, Damien Harris, Jalen Hurts, and many others speak. These are not dumb jocks.

I don't think that ND has an edge on Bama these days in terms of smart football players. 

Times have changed.

As always, jmo.

30 minutes ago, Muppy said:

Holy Cow WOW....I didn't see that one coming. Mr mup is the hugest domer there is and watches all the Fighting Irish webcasts, any and all Irish he is on it.....Kelly leaving for LSU?

wow.....who do the Irish hire? Please no a-holes or other ex college program retread....oboi cant wait to hear what he has to say about this.....

THUD 10 years NINETY FIVE MILLION reasons to wave bye bye to Touchdown Jesus. SMH wow

They will go after Luke Fickell from UC or promote Marcus freeman. There is a big push from the players and board to promote freeman. They won’t want to lose him, but not sure he’s ready. It will be tough for Luke to turn it down but I don’t think he does anything until his team is done playing this year. Another option is Matt Campbell at Iowa state who has been courted a lot over the recent years but only will leave for certain programs. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I don't know much about LSU, but I know that Alabama is now the second ranked school in the SEC in terms of academics, ranked only under Vanderbilt. They come up to Long Island and offer big scholarships to Long Island kids. 

Saban built not only the football team but the basketball team, women's sports (especially softball) and the school has improved by leaps and bounds academically by the huge dollars he brings in. Listen to kids like Najee Harris, Mac Jones, Damien Harris, Jalen Hurts, and many others speak. These are not dumb jocks.

I don't think that ND has an edge on Bama these days in terms of smart football players. 

Times have changed.

As always, jmo.

LSU has to keep up with Bama so ... they'll take almost anyone if they're elite. Otherwise, the AD and coaches are going to get fired. Bama gets the pick of the litter these days, but the team has also had its fair share of complete dolts/criminals (Ruggs, Dareus, Reuben Foster, Cam Robinson, Kuondijo, etc. etc.). ND is a pretty selective school, with 19% of applicants getting in. Alabama accepts 83% of applicants. Of course, as the flagship state university, it has a different mission and different responsibilities to the Alabama public than a place like Notre Dame. But yeah, the standards are obviously lower for athletes at ND even if they're higher relative to the rest of the nation's football programs.

https://www.uhnd.com/football/2015/07/01/notre-dames-academic-risks-selfinflicted/

"Notre Dame’s standards are well known for being one of the most difficult in the country.  High school athletes must have at least four college prep courses and two years of foreign language completed to be admitted.  Additionally, recruits must be able to point to specific evidence from within their high school academic record that indicates the capability of meeting the stringent demands of academic life at Notre Dame.  But clearing the admittance hurdle is only the first step.

Notre Dame student-athletes are subjected to difficult math courses, such as calculus, as freshmen and must achieve – as well as maintain – a GPA of at least 2.0 by the end of their freshmen year.  To put this standard in context, many universities only require one year of foreign language to be admitted, and students do not need to achieve a 2.0 GPA until their junior year."

Edited by dave mcbride

16 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

LSU has to keep up with Bama so ... they'll take almost anyone if they're elite. Otherwise, the AD and coaches are going to get fired. Bama gets the pick of the litter these days, but the team has also had its fair share of complete dolts/criminals (Ruggs, Dareus, Reuben Foster, Cam Robinson, Kuondijo, etc. etc.)

I have said many times that Saban has a ton of control over these kids. If he kicks them off the team they stand to lose millions, and of couse Saban would have ZERO risk of getting fired for it. Dareus said as much in an interview. Sometimes they do go off when they get their "freedom." 

Btw, in terms of Kuondjio, that was REALLY unexpected, and I suspect that his incident was a one time occurence. I was not happy when he was drafted because he had a chronic injury, and was the 4th or 5th best lineman on the team, and I am only talking about the starters. But, he seemed like a really good, grounded kid so you never really know.

Didn't ND have a rapist on the team not so long ago? And a guy with drugs and one doing burgs?  Maybe I am confusing them with another team.

Edited by Bill from NYC

26 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They will go after Luke Fickell from UC or promote Marcus freeman. There is a big push from the players and board to promote freeman. They won’t want to lose him, but not sure he’s ready. It will be tough for Luke to turn it down but I don’t think he does anything until his team is done playing this year. Another option is Matt Campbell at Iowa state who has been courted a lot over the recent years but only will leave for certain programs. 

clearly this was NOT discussed within domer fan circles or Ida heard about this. Not even an inkling SMH. Hubby wiping sleep from his eyes I told him and his reaction was the same as mine Wow....the ND chatboards will be lit UP today oh my goodness 

3 minutes ago, Muppy said:

clearly this was NOT discussed within domer fan circles or Ida heard about this. Not even an inkling SMH. Hubby wiping sleep from his eyes I told him and his reaction was the same as mine Wow....the ND chatboards will be lit UP today oh my goodness 

Another sleeper option is ST coach Brian Polian (Bill’s son). I could see him at least coaching the rest of this season. He has HC experience. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Muppy said:

That's gonna be a heckuva buyout 4 years from now.

52 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Another sleeper option is ST coach Brian Polian (Bill’s son). I could see him at least coaching the rest of this season. He has HC experience. 

Nevada right?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I have said many times that Saban has a ton of control over these kids. If he kicks them off the team they stand to lose millions, and of couse Saban would have ZERO risk of getting fired for it. Dareus said as much in an interview. Sometimes they do go off when they get their "freedom." 

Btw, in terms of Kuondjio, that was REALLY unexpected, and I suspect that his incident was a one time occurence. I was not happy when he was drafted because he had a chronic injury, and was the 4th or 5th best lineman on the team, and I am only talking about the starters. But, he seemed like a really good, grounded kid so you never really know.

Didn't ND have a rapist on the team not so long ago? And a guy with drugs and one doing burgs?  Maybe I am confusing them with another team.

USC?

Brian Kelly’s character might be questionable, but I think he’ll be successful at LSU. He’s done nothing but win at every stop. I’m not sure why so many are convinced he’ll fail. There’s no reason to doubt his ability to win. The media loves Riley to USC, but have questions about Kelly to LSU. LSU has been relevant very recently, while USC’s glory days seem to be in the past. I think there’s a lot more work to be done at USC. Riley has only succeeded in the Big 12 with a program that didn’t need to be rebuilt. Kelly has built programs, and now he gets to take over one that’s on very solid footing. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.