Brian Kelly to LSU

YoloinOhio

50 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Brian Kelly’s character might be questionable, but I think he’ll be successful at LSU. He’s done nothing but win at every stop. I’m not sure why so many are convinced he’ll fail. There’s no reason to doubt his ability to win. The media loves Riley to USC, but have questions about Kelly to LSU. LSU has been relevant very recently, while USC’s glory days seem to be in the past. I think there’s a lot more work to be done at USC. Riley has only succeeded in the Big 12 with a program that didn’t need to be rebuilt. Kelly has built programs, and now he gets to take over one that’s on very solid footing. 

I am not taking sides here but Riley is going to a rather weak conference. There will be little to no competetion once he starts recruiting.

Otoh Kelly is marching into the SEC. He will face HUGE competition (Alabama, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Texas, Ole Miss, and Georgia) and this is not a complete list.  I also think that it is a bit of a different world/football culture down there. 

Please don't misunderstand.....I am not saying that Kelly isn't up to the job. I do however say that Kelly has a higher hill to climb than Riley. I also know nothing about his character.

As always, jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC

19 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I am not taking sides here but Riley is going to a rather weak conference. There will be little to no competetion once he starts recruiting.

Otoh Kelly is marching into the SEC. He will face HUGE competition (Alabama, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Texas, Ole Miss, and Georgia) and this is not a complete list.  I also think that it is a bit of a different world/football culture down there. 

Please don't misunderstand.....I am not saying that Kelly isn't up to the job. I do however say that Kelly has a higher hill to climb than Riley. I also know nothing about his character.

As always, jmo.

I get your point, but if recruiting at USC is so easy, what happened the last decade? I’ll never be convinced that job is what everyone thinks it is. I’ve probably mentioned that enough, and I do realize it’s just an opinion. The SEC is a tremendous challenge, but why assume a very successful coach is going to fail? There’s nothing in LSU or Kelly’s history that indicates he’ll fail. Fitting the culture seems to be a frequently mentioned concern. I think recruits want to win football games, and get the best chance of reaching the pros. It seems unreasonable to assume he’ll struggle recruiting because he isn’t from the Bayou. Saban isn’t a southern guy, and he’s the face of Alabama as a state. It’s all conjecture at this point, but I can’t cling to the common idea that Riley is a sure bet to outperform Kelly. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.