First Live Concert?

SinceThe70s

4 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I never got the hate for Nickleback, sure i joined the herd and played along just so i wasn't considered a mouthbreather....not sure where it all began with the abject hatred.

A lot of it has to do with timing and goals.

2001: "How You Remind Me" is released to incredible success. Mainstream Rock and Hot 100 hit. Over the next year or so it's impossible to listen to modern rock or pop radio for half an hour without hearing Nickelback.  All this on the heels of the explosion of nu-metal and the death of grunge and 90s alt.  So you already have the hipsters' and alt kids' ire due to their popularity. "How You Remind Me" is incredibly formulaic and, by his own admission, Kroeger wrote it for the express purpose of being a pop radio hit.  Money talks, and he repeats this formula again and again: catchy chord progressions on the hooks, lyrical content with universal appeal (romance, getting drunk, nostalgia), etc. On top of this, by taking roads paved by nu-metal and pop hits, it's seen as derivative in its composition and structure. Critical suicide, especially if you do it more than once.

There's talent in that band, and Silver Side Up was arguably a pretty good album. But by banging the same drum over and over for the sake of cash and being popular with 00's dudebros at parties, Nickelback essentially organized their own hate campaign.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I never got the hate for Nickleback, sure i joined the herd and played along just so i wasn't considered a mouthbreather....not sure where it all began with the abject hatred.

I'm with you on that. I wouldn't call myself a fan but they have two songs that I think are great.

• Like (+1) 1

Well after thinking about it, technically, my first few concerts would when my grade school took everyone to Kleinhan’s to see the Buffalo Philharmonic on “School Day”. Pretty cool, especially when they did something I knew like William Tell Overture or Sabre Dance.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

My son's first concert was Nickelback.  Truth be told, they put on a hell of a show, but still ... Nickelback.

To make it up to him, I've since brought him to multiple metal shows (the stuff he likes:  White Chapel, Slipknot, Slayer and many others), as well as Paul McCartney and Rush (on their R:40 Tour).

I will never stop feeling bad for him.  In 20 years, when someone asks him what his first concert was, he will still get his balls busted.  The only saving grace was that Bush opened up for them, but still .... Nickelback.  Poor bastard.

when I took my son to his very first rock show I was excited because I was seeing a band Id always wanted to (GooGoo Dolls) but it ends up the 2 opening acts were much more his musical liking and they were Sugar Ray (Mark McGrath) and Fastball .........8-7-1999. McGrath was acting the punk saying stuff like "so I met your GF she's coming home with me tonight" SMH I wasnt impressed.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I recall a coworker who was taking his daughter and friends to a 'NKOTB' concert in Toronto grabbing a handful of disposable earplugs from the dispenser at work.  He maintained that he would be looked upon as a hero to all the other parents roped into taxi and chaperone service.

A decade or so ago, a friend and I took our daughters to see the Jonas Brothers at Saratoga Performing Arts Center in, duh, Saratoga.  We sat on the lawn, the place was packed, and every child in close proximity to the next.  I blacked out as to how long they played, but the ear-splitting, relentless, high-octave scream went on for the duration. 

At one point, drummer Jonas was talking about something serious (diabetes, I think), it was very deathly quiet, then he got to this point where he paused and theatrically looked into the camera (and I've come to believe, the heart of every young lady in the joint) and 20,000 or so girls shrieked in unison.  I believe that cataclysmic eruption of noise must have been what it was like when the Jerry's blitzkrieged London during the War to end all wars. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

My son's first concert was Nickelback.  Truth be told, they put on a hell of a show, but still ... Nickelback.

To make it up to him, I've since brought him to multiple metal shows (the stuff he likes:  White Chapel, Slipknot, Slayer and many others), as well as Paul McCartney and Rush (on their R:40 Tour).

I will never stop feeling bad for him.  In 20 years, when someone asks him what his first concert was, he will still get his balls busted.  The only saving grace was that Bush opened up for them, but still .... Nickelback.  Poor bastard.

I got to play this line once- grocery clerk said "here is your nickel back" "worst band ever".  They didn't get it but my gf laughed

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

My 8 year old grandson has been to two concerts.

First  was Trans Siberian Orchestra

Second was  Queen  with Adam Lambert.
I wanted to take him to King Crimson but he wudda asked, 

"Pops, where  are all the laser lights and the fire?"

• Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Pete said:

I got to play this line once- grocery clerk said "here is your nickel back" "worst band ever".  They didn't get it but my gf laughed

Reminds me of this one, that happened recently.  Took my gf out to dinner and the hostess asked, "just the two of you?"  I replied, "we can make it if we try."

It actually went over very well!

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, The Poojer said:

I’m not into Nickelback, but I agree. Every criticism I’ve seen directed towards them could be applied to hundreds of other 90’s and 00’s modern rock acts. I could argue that Metallica’s late 90’s output isn’t all that different from Nickelback in sound. Many of the people who diss Nickelback were the same guys who thought Metallica’s Load album was great. I understand Nickelback sounds like mass produced paint by numbers rock, but that’s exactly what killed

rock. They aren’t the only culprit. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Reminds me of this one, that happened recently.  Took my gf out to dinner and the hostess asked, "just the two of you?"  I replied, "we can make it if we try."

It actually went over very well!

another line that 1 out of 100 get- "put it on the Underhills tab"

2 hours ago, Muppy said:

when I took my son to his very first rock show I was excited because I was seeing a band Id always wanted to (GooGoo Dolls) but it ends up the 2 opening acts were much more his musical liking and they were Sugar Ray (Mark McGrath) and Fastball .........8-7-1999. McGrath was acting the punk saying stuff like "so I met your GF she's coming home with me tonight" SMH I wasnt impressed.

1990s music scene came in like a lion(AIC, Soundgarden, Janes,Tool, Rage,Kyuss, Sublime,Melvins, etc), and out like a lamb(Sugar Ray, Smashmouth, Offspring etc)

So I already despised Sugar Ray.  Seriously though 1990-1995 is incredible time for music

• Agree 1

Man, some seriously good 1st shows here - Queen, Simon & Garfunkel, Iron Maiden, AC/DC.  I wish I could have seen Queen back then. I still look up clips on youtube - one of the best live bands ever.

Mine was kind of meh.  REO Speedwagon, with Rainbow.  At the time,  however, I was blown away.

1 minute ago, Success said:

Man, some seriously good 1st shows here - Queen, Simon & Garfunkel, Iron Maiden, AC/DC.  I wish I could have seen Queen back then. I still look up clips on youtube - one of the best live bands ever.

Mine was kind of meh.  REO Speedwagon, with Rainbow.  At the time,  however, I was blown away.

Ronnie James Dio, Graham Bonnet or Joe Lynn Turner?

2 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Me too, but they were never the same without Dio.

Blackmore lived in my area for awhile and a good friend of mine from HS played a pickup soccer game with/against him.

my buddy has the same story.  My friend is from Old Saybrook CT.  He told me a story that a friends cousin was roadie for Stones, they all hung out with Ritchie and Rainbow, and played a soccer game.  I forget if that was in CT or Long Island

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.