First Live Concert?

SinceThe70s

1 minute ago, Pete said:

my buddy has the same story.  My friend is from Old Saybrook CT.  He told me a story that a friends cousin was roadie for Stones, they all hung out with Ritchie and Rainbow, and played a soccer game.  I forget if that was in CT or Long Island

You're jogging memories. This was somewhere around 1978-1980, Huntington NY. Blackmore supposedly would show up somewhat regularly at a local hole in the wall bar and play. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Success said:

I just know that Blackmore was playing guitar.  I had no idea who he was at the time, but was certainly impressed by him & their set.  It was '78...Bonnet maybe?

If it was Dio, I'm envious!

If you didn't know them what's the backstory? Why did you go?

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

If it was Dio, I'm envious!

If you didn't know them what's the backstory? Why did you go?

Looking at wikipedia, it might have been.  It looks like he was their singer at the time - I really had no idea that I might have seen Dio in my life!

I only got into stuff like that much later.  At the time, I was a kid and REO was my favorite band - Rainbow was their opener, which seems strange now on a few levels.  War Memorial in Rochester.  I just remember going in and thinking "who is this Rainbow band?," and being pretty blown away by their set.   REO was pretty great, too. That was more in their rockin' days, and I still think Gary Richrath is overlooked/underrated whenever people talk about guitarists.

2 minutes ago, Success said:

Looking at wikipedia, it might have been.  It looks like he was their singer at the time - I really had no idea that I might have seen Dio in my life!

I only got into stuff like that much later.  At the time, I was a kid and REO was my favorite band - Rainbow was their opener, which seems strange now on a few levels.  War Memorial in Rochester.  I just remember going in and thinking "who is this Rainbow band?," and being pretty blown away by their set.   REO was pretty great, too. That was more in their rockin' days, and I still think Gary Richrath is overlooked/underrated whenever people talk about guitarists.

LOL, I assumed Rainbow was the headliner, in hindsight that's my blind bias. 

Wasn't exposed to REO until they had their moment in the sun and were too pop for my taste - but I also remember hearing some of their earlier rocking stuff and liking it. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

LOL, I assumed Rainbow was the headliner, in hindsight that's my blind bias. 

Wasn't exposed to REO until they had their moment in the sun and were too pop for my taste - but I also remember hearing some of their earlier rocking stuff and liking it. 

Ridin’ The Storm Out *****in rocks. REO did a decent show back in the day. Actually seen them a couple times recently whilst working and they still bring the energy. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

You're jogging memories. This was somewhere around 1978-1980, Huntington NY. Blackmore supposedly would show up somewhat regularly at a local hole in the wall bar and play. 

so I texted my friend is was around 1979/1980 around Huntington.  I think you and my buddy played soccer together 50 years ago LOL.  My friends name is John, he still lives in Old Saybrook, straight shot across from LI.  If you have any other details or any questions for my buddy let me know.  What a small world!  Life is a trip

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

so I texted my friend is was around 1979/1980 around Huntington.  I think you and my buddy played soccer together 50 years ago LOL.  My friends name is John, he still lives in Old Saybrook, straight shot across from LI.  If you have any other details or any questions for my buddy let me know.  What a small world!  Life is a trip

Reached out to my friend - who was walking the streets of Paris this morning. He confirmed it was 78-80, he thinks they played somewhere around Northport. 

His friends Mom was dating a guy whose son was close with Rainbow band members. Thinks the guy was a drummer named Chris. Also mentioned that his memory is blurred due to other factors that day :)

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LeviF said:

Ridin’ The Storm Out *****in rocks. REO did a decent show back in the day. Actually seen them a couple times recently whilst working and they still bring the energy. 

"Golden Country" and "Roll with the Changes" also. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.