CFP committee rankings

YoloinOhio

23 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I'm so pissed my Cowboys lost to Iowa State a few weeks ago or we'd be in the top 5 right now. Then OU lost, which I hate OU, but a win over 11-0 OU vs a 9-2 or 10-1 OU looks SO much better to the CFP. 

This week:

1. UGA

2. Alabama

3. Oregon

4. Ohio State

5. Michigan

6. Cincy

7. Mich State

8. ND

9. Oklahoma State

10. Baylor

How it SHOULD be ranked:

1. UGA

2. Alabama

3. Cincy

4. Ohio State

5. Oklahoma State

Oregon has beat ONE ranked team and lost to a BAD Stanford team. I don't think any PAC12 team is good enough right now. Ohio State has beat two ranked teams the past few weeks and we will know where they really stand the next few weeks to come. The B1G will play itself out. Still think Cincy couldn't hang in any power 5, but they did beat ND and haven't lost. Oklahoma State, we've been the hottest team with 1 loss... beat 3 ranked teams and lost to Iowa State, who was ranked. 

From ESPN: 

Let's do a little blind résumé comparison:

Team A is 9-1 with a 5-1 mark against FPI top-50 opponents (with a 12.2 points-per-game margin) and three wins vs. teams ranked at game time. Its lone loss came on the road by three points to a preseason AP top-10 team. Its ESPN Strength of Record is No. 6 nationally.

Team B is 9-1 with a 4-1 mark against FPI top-50 opponents (with a 10.6 points-per-game margin) and one win vs. a team ranked at game time. Its lone loss came at home by seven points to a preseason AP top-10 team. Its ESPN Strength of Record is No. 9 nationally.

So, which team would you have ranked higher?

The committee seems to hate the Big 12 so team B, Ohio state, will be ranked higher. The committee likes the eye test.  Im pretty sure they beat Penn state and Purdue when they were ranked actually so they have 2. ultimately it won’t matter because they won’t stay in the top 4 unless they win out, and if they do it would be with 5 against ranked teams - Penn state, Purdue, msu, Michigan, big 10 west champ 

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The committee seems to hate the Big 12 so team B, Ohio state, will be ranked higher. The committee likes the eye test.  Im pretty sure they beat Penn state and Purdue when they were ranked actually so they have 2. ultimately it won’t matter because they won’t stay in the top 4 unless they win out, and if they do it would be with 5 against ranked teams - Penn state, Purdue, msu, Michigan, big 10 west champ 

It sucks being an Oklahoma State fan. Got screwed in 2011 and might be outside looking in again in 2021. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They have a great defense. I just think the committee is biased against the big 12 for whatever reason. 

Outside UGA, best defense in the country. And this is w/o our best defensive back this entire season (Tre Sterling III). Seems the CFP, which was formed following the BS the BCS did to OSU in 2011, wants offense. 

58 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

thats dumb, lets get these playoffs right already !!

Why not make it 32 teams like in basketball? After all, what difference does it make that the risk of a career threatening injury is enormous?

If it does go to 8, the fans of sub-par teams will still not be happy. Btw, the Cincinnati team that everybody is fawning over is starting a running back who was 5th string on Alabama. Their chances of winning a title are all but non-existant, and this is probably the best Group of 5 team in our time.

I understand that we all in a way resemble the fans of gladiators in the Roman days.  I just don't think it is fair to expect college kids (mostly from extremely poor backgrounds) to play even more games and risk losing millions of dollars. 

Jmo.

On 11/16/2021 at 9:17 AM, YoloinOhio said:

They have a great defense. I just think the committee is biased against the big 12 for whatever reason. 

If you think that they are, please explain why they shoud not be.

15 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Why not make it 32 teams like in basketball? After all, what difference does it make that the risk of a career threatening injury is enormous?

If it does go to 8, the fans of sub-par teams will still not be happy. Btw, the Cincinnati team that everybody is fawning over is starting a running back who was 5th string on Alabama. Their chances of winning a title are all but non-existant, and this is probably the best Group of 5 team in our time.

I understand that we all in a way resemble the fans of gladiators in the Roman days.  I just don't think it is fair to expect college kids (mostly from extremely poor backgrounds) to play even more games and risk losing millions of dollars. 

Jmo.

If you think that they are, please explain why they shoud not be.

I don’t know why they are, but I would guess that Oklahoma hasn’t had the defense to compete when they’ve made it in previous years and they didn't see that as any different this year. 

My updated top 10 after Saturday (I was in Stillwater for the Bedlam game :) )

1. UGA 12-0

2. Michigan 11-1

3. Oklahoma State 11-1

4. Cincy 12-0

5. Alabama 11-1

6. Notre Dame 11-1

7. Michigan 10-2

8. Ohio State 10-2

9. Ole Miss 10-2

10. Baylor 10-2

UGA should beat down Alabama. Houston could beat Cincy... that would probably push both ND and OSU in at 3rd and 4th respectively. I don't think ND could beat Oklahoma State though, so that's my current rankings. 

Oklahoma State's defense played horribly in the 1st half against OU. Second half, we shut them out and shut down Caleb Williams. I was about to walk out of the stadium when we spotted them 9 points in the 3Q. I thought "Here we go again". 

It's crazy, after week 2 and OSU barely beating Tulsa... I walked out of the stadium and talked to my dad about "How are we going to win six games? We will beat Kansas, beat Tech... but who are the other 2 teams we will beat? No one!" Now we are looking at a possible CFP birth. Crazy year. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Notre Dame should be forced to play against a real team this weekend or no playoffs

Until they join a conference, they shouldn't be regarded as high as they are. Getting a pass right now for being an indy program and it's BS. Besides, they've been blown out in every CFP game they've been in. 

OSU has beat two top 10 teams (CPF top 10) and the best win ND has is a 3 loss Wisconsin team ranked 14th... a team who is finishing 3rd in their division. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

1. UGA 12-0

2. Michigan 11-1

3. Oklahoma State 11-1

4. Cincy 12-0

5. Alabama 11-1

6. Notre Dame 11-1

7. Michigan 10-2

8. Ohio State 10-2

9. Ole Miss 10-2

10. Baylor 10-2

UGA should beat down Alabama. Houston could beat Cincy... that would probably push both ND and OSU in at 3rd and 4th respectively. I don't think ND could beat Oklahoma State though, so that's my current rankings. 

Oklahoma State's defense played horribly in the 1st half against OU. Second half, we shut them out and shut down Caleb Williams. I was about to walk out of the stadium when we spotted them 9 points in the 3Q. I thought "Here we go again". 

It's crazy, after week 2 and OSU barely beating Tulsa... I walked out of the stadium and talked to my dad about "How are we going to win six games? We will beat Kansas, beat Tech... but who are the other 2 teams we will beat? No one!" Now we are looking at a possible CFP birth. Crazy year. 

Cincinatti is starting a guy who was Alabama's 5th string running back. Arkansas would destroy Cincy as would Mississippi, Mississippi State, LSU, and virtually any SEC Team. If Cincy was in the SEC they would probably struggle with Vanderbilt and lose to South Carolina and Kentucky.

Other than that, your post makes a great deal of sense. 🙄😂

4 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Notre Dame should be forced to play against a real team this weekend or no playoffs

4 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Until they join a conference, they shouldn't be regarded as high as they are. Getting a pass right now for being an indy program and it's BS. Besides, they've been blown out in every CFP game they've been in. 

OSU has beat two top 10 teams (CPF top 10) and the best win ND has is a 3 loss Wisconsin team ranked 14th... a team who is finishing 3rd in their division. 

Notre Dame has no business being a part of this playoff discussion.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Cincinatti is starting a guy who was Alabama's 5th string running back. Arkansas would destroy Cincy as would Mississippi, Mississippi State, LSU, and virtually any SEC Team. If Cincy was in the SEC they would probably struggle with Vanderbilt and lose to South Carolina and Kentucky.

I made my list based off how I feel about the teams. Do I think Cincy would beat Alabama? Not really. But since they are undefeated and beat ND on the road, I have to place them in the top 5. 

So explain the rolling eyes and laughing. Tell me how my list is wrong... since you disagree. Alabama will be 11-2 after this weekend anyway. 

Edited by ArdmoreRyno
grammar error

41 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I made my list based off how I feel about the teams. Do I think Cincy would beat Alabama? Not really. But since they are undefeated and beat ND on the road, I have to place them in the top 5. 

So explain the rolling eyes and laughing. Tell me how my list is wrong... since you disagree. Alabama will be 11-2 after this weekend anyway. 

OK, sure.

What you say about Cincy is true (yes, they beat Notre dame) but as I said in a different post, Cincy would be an average to below average team in the SEC. They beat Notre Dame (the only decent team they played), but they also struggled against second rate teams. And while I respect Notre Dame, this is another team that needs to be challenged WAY more than they are. 

Now, do you think that Ohio State could beat Cincy? I sure do and if you agree, AND think that Alabama could beat them, how such sense does a playoff spot for Cincy make? How many other teams do you honestly think are better than Cincy? 10? 20? 30? Am I making sense?

As for Alabama being 11-2 after Saturday, there is a very good chance that you are correct. If you feel strongly enough, maybe you should take a shot and lay 6 or 7 points to Nick Saban. 

I can't recall any team in the NCAA ever having lost as much talent as Alabama lost in the 2020 draft class. Can you? Can someone else chime in please?  On the current roster, their 2 best players (fabulous players and Heisman contenders I might add) are both sophomores. Alabama has also lost players to injury. If the lose to Geeorgia I will not shed a tear. I'm proud of these kids.  I mean after all, the University of Alabama Crimson Tide are the NCAA Champions until someone else is. 6 titles in 14 years for Saban and the Tide isn't so bad, wouldn't you agree?

Btw I am against playoff expansion, and view it as an excuse to make fans of inferior teams happy. Ironically, if there were 8 playoff teams this season Alabama would almost certainly be in it. 4 and I am alot less sure unless they beat Georgia, a daunting task indeed. 

Anyway, I appreciate the dialogue.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Just like Georgia destroyed them last year in the bowl game right?   Cinci wins they are in, not sure if they get by Houston though although they are playing at home.

33 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

OK, sure.

What you say about Cincy is true (yes, they beat Notre dame) but as I said in a different post, Cincy would be an average to below average team in the SEC. They beat Notre Dame (the only decent team they played), but they also struggled against second rate teams. And while I respect Notre Dame, this is another team that needs to be challenged WAY more than they are. 

Now, do you think that Ohio State could beat Cincy? I sure do and if you agree, AND think that Alabama could beat them, how such sense does a playoff spot for Cincy make? How many other teams do you honestly think are better than Cincy? 10? 20? 30? Am I making sense?

As for Alabama being 11-2 after Saturday, there is a very good chance that you are correct. If you feel strongly enough, maybe you should take a shot and lay 6 or 7 points to Nick Saban. 

I can't recall any team in the NCAA ever having lost as much talent as Alabama lost in the 2020 draft class. Can you? Can someone else chime in please?  On the current roster, their 2 best players (fabulous players and Heisman contenders I might add) are both sophomores. Alabama has also lost players to injury. If the lose to Geeorgia I will not shed a tear. I'm proud of these kids.  I mean after all, the University of Alabama Crimson Tide are the NCAA Champions until someone else is. 6 titles in 14 years for Saban and the Tide isn't so bad, wouldn't you agree?

Btw I am against playoff expansion, and view it as an excuse to make fans of inferior teams happy. Ironically, if there were 8 playoff teams this season Alabama would almost certainly be in it. 4 and I am alot less sure unless they beat Georgia, a daunting task indeed. 

I see your train of thought but where it goes wrong is it doesnt matter what you think would happen, what matters what they do on the field.  I will argue to date out of the top 6-7 teams Cinci maintains the best win of the bunch with their victory at south bend,  that doesn't hold any weight with you?  That win is certainly better than any win to date Alabama has.  Now if Bama beats Georgia they are in imo no questions ask as they will then possess the best win out of any team in the country.

Edited by Gordio

11 minutes ago, Gordio said:

I see your train of thought but where it goes wrong is it doesnt matter what you think would happen, what matters what they do on the field.  I will argue to date out of the top 6-7 teams Cinci maintains the best win of the bunch with their victory at south bend,  that doesn't hold any weight with you?  That win is certainly better than any win to date Alabama has. 

Well my friend, the committee does have the flexibility to not be glued to the teams with the best record. 

As far as Cincy having the best win, I respectfully disagree. How about Michigan over OSU for one, and again; I think that Auburn, LSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss (#9 I think), and other SEC teams that Bama beat are better teams than Cincy but of course, this is merely my opinion.

PS: I am not trying to single out Cincy. Teams like Clemson and ND also would do well to play more real teams.

Always a pleasure to talk football with you. :) 

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

Well my friend, the committee does have the flexibility to not be glued to the teams with the best record. 

As far as Cincy having the best win, I respectfully disagree. How about Michigan over OSU for one, and again; I think that Auburn, LSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss (#9 I think), and other SEC teams that Bama beat are better teams than Cincy but of course, this is merely my opinion.

PS: I am not trying to single out Cincy. Teams like Clemson and ND also would do well to play more real teams.

Yeah when I say they have the best win, I am just going by the current rankings and also added bonus it was in south bend.  Michigan argueably had a better win but that was at home.  

As a gambler, this bama/georgia game is going to be really interesting.  It never happens that Saban is getting 6 points.  Part of me says don't over think this one, the spread is a gift against the gambling gods on the other hand....not sure how bama fears against Georgia's defense.  I think Saban is going to come up with a solid game plan and this one is going to be close.  Like I said Bama wins, not only are they are in they are probably the #1 seed and will matchup against Cinci.   Then I guess we could truly put your theory to the test.  

7 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Yeah when I say they have the best win, I am just going by the current rankings and also added bonus it was in south bend.  Michigan argueably had a better win but that was at home.  

As a gambler, this bama/georgia game is going to be really interesting.  It never happens that Saban is getting 6 points.  Part of me says don't over think this one, the spread is a gift against the gambling gods on the other hand....not sure how bama fears against Georgia's defense.  I think Saban is going to come up with a solid game plan and this one is going to be close.  Like I said Bama wins, not only are they are in they are probably the #1 seed and will matchup against Cinci.   Then I guess we could truly put your theory to the test.  

If Bama wins I don't see a path for Cinci unless one of either OKST or Michigan loses their title game.  Bama wins, Georgia gets in too I would think, unless Bama really beats the brakes off them.

1 hour ago, LeviF said:

If Bama wins I don't see a path for Cinci unless one of either OKST or Michigan loses their title game.  Bama wins, Georgia gets in too I would think, unless Bama really beats the brakes off them.

If Bama, Michigan, Cinci & Okl St win Bama, Georgia, Cinci & Mich are in.  Okl St is left out.  

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

OK, sure.

I see... a huge Bama homer. 

And of course you're against expansion... you want your little 4 team club that Alabama will always be in regardless if they are 11-0 or 10-1. 

50 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I see... a huge Bama homer. 

And of course you're against expansion... you want your little 4 team club that Alabama will always be in regardless if they are 11-0 or 10-1. 

Did you or did you not read where I said that Alabama would be in an 8 team playoff even with a loss to Georgia? An expanded playoff system would place Alabama in the playoffs more often, not less.

I do however hope that the little team that you support gets better.

2 hours ago, Gordio said:

I would really hope for the bolded, but it will be tough sledding against Georgia.

Remember, I cannot stress enough that this team is not as good as Bama 2020.  That team could have put up 70 against this Cincy team if they felt like it.

19 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Did you or did you not read where I said that Alabama would be in an 8 team playoff even with a loss to Georgia? An expanded playoff system would place Alabama in the playoffs more often, not less.

I would really hope for the bolded, but it will be tough sledding against Georgia.

Remember, I cannot stress enough that this team is not as good as Bama 2020.  That team could have put up 70 against this Cincy team if they felt like it.

Dude, no... we aren't Alabama or Clemson, but my little team is a top 10 program since like 2007. 

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncf/trends/win_trends/?range=yearly_since_2008

Edited by ArdmoreRyno

34 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

That is interesting you say that.  I know you follow bama.  I mean I believe they upgraded QB.  Jones was great but Young is a generational talent imo.  I don't think there is a fall off in the receiving corps with Williams and Meuche(sp).  

Your comments give me pause for betting Bama on saturday.  

1 hour ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Dude, no... we aren't Alabama or Clemson, but my little team is a top 10 program since like 2007. 

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncf/trends/win_trends/?range=yearly_since_2008

Ok, who is it? I want to wish you all the luck as long as you are not facing my life long favorite college team. 

And I can't stress it enough, Alabama is a mere shadow of the 2020 team.  They have proven to be beatable. Next year I hope for improvement.

1 hour ago, Gordio said:

That is interesting you say that.  I know you follow bama.  I mean I believe they upgraded QB.  Jones was great but Young is a generational talent imo.  I don't think there is a fall off in the receiving corps with Williams and Meuche(sp).  

Your comments give me pause for betting Bama on saturday.  

I am NOT telling you what to do let alone advising you wrt betting. That said, you have no idea how much better we were last year Gordio. Here are some examples why:

1) Mac is MUCH better than Bryce, however; Bryce is more suited for this team because the OL is not even close to 2020. 

2) Last season Alex Leatherwood (now playing very well for the Raiders) was our LT. Evan Neal was our RIGHT Tackle last season. Now he is on the left and while I see him as a top 10 draft pick (if not top 5) there is a void at RT.  We also lost Landon Dickerson at Center. He went to the Eagles in round 2 because he was banged up.  He was not replaced with someone nearly as good as him.

3) Metchie and Williams are not even in the same class as Davonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle. Not even remotely close. 

4) Najee Harris is clearly superior to every RB on this current team combined, and the ones we have are hurt.

5) We lost Surtain at corner and Barmore at DT. Both were first round picks. 

Now, the good news:

1) Bryce Young is VERY smart, moves well and has a great arm. As I said, his mobility makes him better that Mac for THIS team. 

2) OLB/Pass Rusher Will Anderson might really be the best player in college football. He is a GREAT pass rusher AND loves to make plays vs. the run.

3) They have an OLB on the other side who started the year as 3rd string. Now, he is kicking the ass of every QB he faces. His name is Dallas Turner (#15). He is only a freshman and he is getting by blockers with fancy spin moves and he hits VERY hard. Remember, Anderson requires lots of blockers and this kid takes advantage of it on the other side.

4) To'o To"o came around at ILB. He looks good vs. the run, in coverage, and even on blitzes. 

5) Watch for a kid named "Kool Aid" McQuinstry. I will step out on a limb and say that down the road he will be as good as Surtain but right now he is only a freshman.

In summary, the defense looks as if it is coming around. The offense is good but by no means great. Georgia is now 6 1/2. Would I give Saban that many points? No but I am partial.

Hope this helps.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

ND now no longer has a HC or a win vs a currently ranked team. They are at 6 but getting into the top 4 if teams above them lose might not be that easy. 

Yeah ND needs major help.  They need two out of 3 teams to lose, Bama, Cinci/Michigan & if Bama loses a close game I could see them getting in before ND.  

19 hours ago, Gordio said:

If Bama, Michigan, Cinci & Okl St win Bama, Georgia, Cinci & Mich are in.  Okl St is left out.  

Based on yesterday's rankings yes. But the committee loves the smell of their own farts and Baylor is currently 9 while Houston is 21. I'm not guaranteeing anything but it's something to consider.

On 11/29/2021 at 7:01 AM, ArdmoreRyno said:

1. UGA 12-0

2. Michigan 11-1

3. Oklahoma State 11-1

4. Cincy 12-0

5. Alabama 11-1

6. Notre Dame 11-1

7. Michigan 10-2

8. Ohio State 10-2

9. Ole Miss 10-2

10. Baylor 10-2

What a game that was for you to be at.

I can only imagine how it must have felt in that stadium after that Oklahoma QB got that 50+ yard run with under a minute to go. 

On 11/30/2021 at 8:13 AM, Bill from NYC said:

Clemson & Notre Dame play each other next November.

Notre Dame also has a date with Ohio State next September.

Make you feel better? :)

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.