Practice squad hidden gems...

Mij yllek

44 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

CBS can shut it's damn mouth that's our DB depth they're putting on a plate for other teams.

I'd agree if I wasn't sure the other teams already know what we've got.  It's only because we've been fortunate enough that our starters haven't been injured that we haven't had to bring up these guys.  

Okay, I'll bite:

This guy . .

1. Phil Haynes, OG, Seahawks

Haynes was Seattle's fourth-round pick in 2019, and after beginning his rookie season on PUP due to a sports hernia surgery, he was thrust onto the field in the Seahawks' wild-card round win over the Eagles in Philadelphia. And he looked solid! He spent most of last season on IR with another injury, but he's healthy now and was dominant -- mostly against backups -- in the preseason. Plus, he tested like a highly explosive guard prospect at the combine.

Or, this guy . . .

Honorable Mention - David Moore, G, Browns

Moore is a mauler with a natural center of gravity offensive line coaches dream about during REM sleep. He was just under 6-2 and 330 pounds at his pro day before the draft. After a dazzling career at Grambling State, Moore got a Senior Bowl invite and thrived in Mobile. He's not going to be the most athletic blocker if you're running a zone scheme, but he's quick enough off the ball to be effective on gap runs, and he's very close to being NFL strong already. Plus, no defensive tackle is going to get up and underneath him to drive him into the quarterback. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dan Darragh said:

Since when did "EDGE" become a position?

And what literary genius decided that it needs to be written in all capital letters?

Hi, Mr. Darragh! I know you haven’t played pro football in five decades, so I’ll try to help you become better acquainted with the modern game. All of the positions nowadays are much more self-explanatory. Let’s review the nomenclature, shall we?

On defense, I will use our Buffalo Bills as examples. Rousseau and Hughes each play the EDGE position. Oliver and Lotulelei play CLOSE MIDDLE. Milano and Edmunds play MIDDLE MIDDLE. White and Wallace are our SIDES. Poyer and Hyde both play FAR AWAY. Taron Johnson is the AWFUL ROCK BAND.

On offense, the position labels tend to be more action-oriented rather than physical location-based. Josh Allen is the THROW. Singletary plays RUN. Diggs and Sanders are the CATCH. Knox is the HEAVY CATCH. Beasley is our TINY WHITE. Sometimes Gilliam comes on the field to play BLOCK. Dawkins, Feliciano, Morse, Williams, and Brown comprise the FAT BLOCKS. Per common football vernacular, Dawkins and Brown each play “FAR FATTY,” Feliciano and Williams are the “CLOSER FATS,” and Morse plays “HIKE.”

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

Hi, Mr. Darragh! I know you haven’t played pro football in five decades, so I’ll try to help you become better acquainted with the modern game. All of the positions nowadays are much more self-explanatory. Let’s review the nomenclature, shall we?

On defense, I will use our Buffalo Bills as examples. Rousseau and Hughes each play the EDGE position. Oliver and Lotulelei play CLOSE MIDDLE. Milano and Edmunds play MIDDLE MIDDLE. White and Wallace are our SIDES. Poyer and Hyde both play FAR AWAY. Taron Johnson is the AWFUL ROCK BAND.

On offense, the position labels tend to be more action-oriented rather than physical location-based. Josh Allen is the THROW. Singletary plays RUN. Diggs and Sanders are the CATCH. Knox is the HEAVY CATCH. Beasley is our TINY WHITE. Sometimes Gilliam comes on the field to play BLOCK. Dawkins, Feliciano, Morse, Williams, and Brown comprise the FAT BLOCKS. Per common football vernacular, Dawkins and Brown each play “FAR FATTY,” Feliciano and Williams are the “CLOSER FATS,” and Morse plays “HIKE.”

That helps a lot.

But who the hell are Mike, Sam and Will? Or is that MIKE, SAM and WILL?

And if Ferguson is the LONG HIKE, is there also a MEDIUM HIKE?

Also, where are the JILLS?

Edited by Dan Darragh
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

That helps a lot.

But who the hell are Mike, Sam and Will? Or is that MIKE, SAM and WILL?

And if Ferguson is the LONG HIKE, is there also a MEDIUM HIKE?

Also, where are the JILLS?

Oh my God…Mr. Darragh…thank the Lord that I am here to save you from the embarrassment of “OK Boomering” yourself out in public. No one refers to the MIDDLE MIDDLE positions anymore as the “Mike,” “Sam,” or “Will” lol. Back in the days of rotary phone communication and horse-drawn carriage transportation? Sure, maybe. I suppose a few stray Buffalonians might still use those terms to honor those middling Buffalo Bills MIDDLE MIDDLES who once roamed the middle of the field like mighty middling bison: Mike McCaffrey (your teammate!), Sam Rogers, and Will Cokeley. Today, however, we refer to Edmunds as the MIDDLE MIDDLE MIDDLE. Milano is the COOKIE MIDDLE MIDDLE because the COOKIE MIDDLE MIDDLE often gets more “delicious” opportunities for big plays than the MIDDLE MIDDLE MIDDLE. It’s worth mentioning that in the modern NFL, a traditional “Sam” as you call it (such as A.J. Klein here in Buffalo) is often replaced with an AWFUL ROCK BAND like Taron Johnson or Siran Neal.

Oh and don’t you dare get sassy with me, Dan. There is obviously no such thing as a LONG HIKE or MEDIUM HIKE position in football. On special teams, Ferguson is the LUTJANIDAE, which is also the scientific name for the marine species better known as the “snapper.” Bass is the BASS for Buffalo, while Haack plays HAKE. Please note that these fish-themed positional names happen to have no particular relationship to Buffalo’s current special teams players. They are homages to the great Walter Camp, a.k.a. the “father of American football,” who I believe was an amateur ichthyologist and avid fisherman as much as he was a football enthusiast.

The Buffalo Jills haven’t been around since renowned men’s rights activist, Terry Pegula, purchased the team in 2014. They were one of the last remaining relics of an oppressive matriarchy. In the year 2021, the responsibility of leading cheers has now been outsourced to ALL of Bills Mafia, women AND men alike. Yes, Mr. Darragh…even YOU! So go apply that concealer and lipstick (blush and fake eyelashes optional), put on that tennis skirt, pull up that sheer pantyhose, and shake your cute little buttocks among the Highmark Stadium bleacher seat denizens this afternoon like your very life depends on it! Lead the battle cries as we squish the proverbial fish…and by “fish” of course I mean their whole team, not just their three special teamers.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.