That was a BAD loss

RyanC883

2 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Despite the piss-poor play in the trenches, and lack of red zone execution.  The part the bothered me the most was the inability to get Tennessee off the dang field and continuously hitting Brown on seemingly the same play.  It's like we didn't learn from last year and that's exactly how they got us then - sell out on the run, drop it right over the LBs in the middle.  FRUSTRATING.  Get maybe two stops out of those possessions, and we probably at least score on one of those opportunities.   

I've said it a million times, Levi cannot play man coverage. It reminds me of when we would play NRC against Gronk. Levi is too undersized to match up with these bigger receivers. 

4 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

thanks for the insight and analysis.  appreciate it.  I think we def can win the SB.  I think the OL sack stats are good because of JA.  Put another guy back there and it's totally different, IMO.  Agree on the home and away games.  Why are the toughest games ALL away this year.  

Don't let the loss bother you. The Bills are a good team. I trust them to learn lessons. Meanwhile the sun is shining and I'm having a bacon sandwich. 

I also think losses aren't crippling to this group, on the contrary it keeps them humble and hungry. Remember the Hail Murray 

1 minute ago, JGMcD2 said:

If 31 points on offense is mediocre I’m all for it. 

You’re talking about getting “no pressure on Tannehill” in your OP and now you’re talking about how we “didn’t sack Tannehill” which one is it? Pressure doesn’t have to be a sack. 

The defense played poorly last night… they’ve played at a high leve all year. They’ve mixed and matched defense strategies and had a lot of success doing different things to teams. They just stumped one of the most dominant teams over the last 3 years and held them to their worst performance outside of the Super Bowl. 

Fixed the pressure, that should have said sacks in the OP.  Sacks have to be sacks against the most sacked qb in the NFL.  We are the only team this year that did NOT sack him.  The D has feasted on poor offenses this season and had a great game against KC.  We figured out KC (after Tampa showed us how).  The D was bad last night, and the DL needs to be better.  We also rotated 9 against KC, including AJ and Basham, who sat v. Tenn.   could playing them be part of the solution?  

19 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

The A team just showed up last week? 

We didn’t get outplayed… we actually statistically dominated both games and made multiple mistakes (blocked punt or poor execution on 4th and 1) that ended up costing us. I’d rather it happen in October than in January. 

Tennessee played their best game of the year… that’s what it took to beat us. 

Bills had 28 first downs and well over 400 yards of offense...they basically didn't execute well enough in the redzone and had penalties kill 2 TDs.  That was the difference. If Allen doesn't slip on that sneak and the Bills punch it in, everyone would be talking about how amazing they were.  Amazing the difference 6 inches makes to people's opinions.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, Seoulofstone said:

Don't let the loss bother you. The Bills are a good team. I trust them to learn lessons. Meanwhile the sun is shining and I'm having a bacon sandwich. 

I also think losses aren't crippling to this group, on the contrary it keeps them humble and hungry. Remember the Hail Murray 

thanks.  I'm all good, the loss doesn't bother me as much as some of the odd things we did in that game.  I mean, we are a great team.  We just did some strange things (AJ, Basham not playing, red zone offense, no sacks against Tanny).  

Also, i now want a bacon sandwich! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Bills had 28 first downs and well over 400 yards of offense...they basically didn't execute well enough in the redzone and had penalties kill 2 TDs.  That was the difference. If Allen doesn't slip on that sneak and the Bills punch it in, everyone would be talking about how amazing they were.  Amazing the difference 6 inches makes to people's opinions.

Not blaming the refs, but call holding on the Derrick Henry 65 yard TD and don't call it on the kickoff return for a TD and we win by two scores.

Also Allen didn't slip.

2 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Not blaming the refs, but call holding on the Derrick Henry 65 yard TD and don't call it on the kickoff return for a TD and we win by two scores.

Also Allen didn't slip.

He clearly did...his back plant foot slipped when he went to push forward.  Pretty obvious from the side view.

Edited by Big Turk

36 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If we play Tennessee 10 times they probably beat us 6-7 times.

I disagree.  Tennessee played very well for them and we played pretty poorly for us, and we still had a chance to win at the end. 

I worry that teams like Tennessee will always be teams we are susceptible to, but we have an elite QB and that gives us the edge every time. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

the issue is why does the B game show up in those games?  It can't.  And where did my OP say the world is ending.  It didn't.   Everything "breaking right' is simply code for getting outplayed.  We got outplayed in both games, we lost matchups we can't lose.  That's what this post is about, and how to fix those issues going forward.  If you want to say "all is good," okay, but if we don't fix those issues, no SB.  

Every team has issues all year long that pop up and that they work on week-to-week to improve, while the opponent learns to counterpunch them.  It's not just the Bills.  

I wouldn't say we got clearly outplayed last night.  We had areas where we struggled, sure, but we outgained them by 50 yards, won the T.O.P. battle by 5 minutes, and were a couple of inches away from a walk off win on enemy soil.  Titans had some big plays break their way (kickoff penalty, 76 yard td run, PI/helmet catch, etc.).  It happens.  Especially against playoff teams on the road.  The Patriots won 6 Super Bowls and they didn't go undefeated in any of those years as far as I can recall.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Seoulofstone said:

Do you listen to Joe Marino and locked on Bills? It's a good listen and he agrees with you about AJ and Boogie 

McD said in the postgame that playing Harry and Efe weer to get some bigger bodies in there for stopping Henry and it was more Matchup dictated.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

Fixed the pressure, that should have said sacks in the OP.  Sacks have to be sacks against the most sacked qb in the NFL.  We are the only team this year that did NOT sack him.  The D has feasted on poor offenses this season and had a great game against KC.  We figured out KC (after Tampa showed us how).  The D was bad last night, and the DL needs to be better.  We also rotated 9 against KC, including AJ and Basham, who sat v. Tenn.   could playing them be part of the solution?  

We figured out KC last year in the regular season and didn’t execute well enough on offense. It happens. 

The moment in the AFCCG was too big… but we learned from it, added pieces that helped facilitate that game plan we had success with… and executed. Not all that different than what happened with the Ravens in 2019 before we adjusted in the 2020 playoffs. McDermott is very good at making adjustments from match up to match up defensively. He figures it out eventually. 

We’ve beaten Tennessee under McDermott. I think he’s 2-2 now?

Obviously lost the last two… and last year was weird but it’s a loss. We very clearly don’t match up well at all… we’re built to beat the majority of NFL offenses that are pass heavy… our personnel doesn’t match up as well with Tennessee. Quite frankly when Henry is rolling that offense is basically unstoppable as long as Tannehill hits guys who are wide open off PA. That’s the best game the Titans have played all year. 

I think we know how to beat them, but once Henry gets going you see what happens. Everyone was overcommitting on defense… you could see it on every play. That’s not the level of discipline they usually play with… that’s why I’m not worried about it. They don’t play that way defensively all that often and now it gives them the opportunity to assess and address. 

I didn’t expect to sack Tannehill because I knew he’d get the ball out quick on purpose. I just wanted to contain Henry… the defense did their job early and gave the offense the opportunity to put them away… they didn’t right away and allowed Henry to remain a factor. We were just a hair late in making that happen. 

Just now, What a Tuel said:

BS.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

You obviously didn't watch the entire clip where they show the side view and his back foot is sliding backwards as he tries to go forward.  It's actually right after that view which you can't really see much on.

3 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Do you listen to Joe Marino and locked on Bills? It's a good listen and he agrees with you about AJ and Boogie 

I think they still see Boogie as the 10th of their 10 defensive linemen. I think they used him for a very specific purpose against KC. As for AJE.... it is his tendency to lose contain in the run game going against a run heavy team. I was not surprised he was inactive. That said I think either gives you more than Efe Obada.

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

You obviously didn't watch the entire clip where they show the side view and his back foot is sliding backwards as he tries to go forward.  It's actually right after that view which you can't really see much on.

That is not a slip, that is a DT in his face and trying to adjust the angle of his dive. If LT actually blocks, Josh Allen doesn't slide right, he dives through.

4 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

We figured out KC last year in the regular season and didn’t execute well enough on offense. It happens. 

The moment in the AFCCG was too big… but we learned from it, added pieces that helped facilitate that game plan we had success with… and executed. Not all that different than what happened with the Ravens in 2019 before we adjusted in the 2020 playoffs. McDermott is very good at making adjustments from match up to match up defensively. He figures it out eventually. 

We’ve beaten Tennessee under McDermott. I think he’s 2-2 now?

Obviously lost the last two… and last year was weird but it’s a loss. We very clearly don’t match up well at all… we’re built to beat the majority of NFL offenses that are pass heavy… our personnel doesn’t match up as well with Tennessee. Quite frankly when Henry is rolling that offense is basically unstoppable as long as Tannehill hits guys who are wide open off PA. That’s the best game the Titans have played all year. 

I think we know how to beat them, but once Henry gets going you see what happens. Everyone was overcommitting on defense… you could see it on every play. That’s not the level of discipline they usually play with… that’s why I’m not worried about it. They don’t play that way defensively all that often and now it gives them the opportunity to assess and address. 

I didn’t expect to sack Tannehill because I knew he’d get the ball out quick on purpose. I just wanted to contain Henry… the defense did their job early and gave the offense the opportunity to put them away… they didn’t right away and allowed Henry to remain a factor. We were just a hair late in making that happen. 

The funny part is this was the first time that Henry really got rolling against us...the other 3 games he was held in check...with a much worse run D

Edited by Big Turk

Just now, What a Tuel said:

That is not a slip, that is a DT in his face and trying to adjust the angle of his dive. If LT actually blocks, Josh Allen doesn't slide right, he dives through.

Nobody is diving by intentionally having their back plant foot slide back like that. Allen admitted postgame he lost his footing there. But I guess he is now lying.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.