Pass Interference in the NFL is a complete joke

muppy

5 hours ago, Muppy said:

Watching the Bills, and then redzone for the late games. I counted 10 PI calls that were either missed,  or called PI and absolutely horrible calls.

The Bills game had 3-4 by itself. The missed PI on Diggs bing one, and then the awful PI Diggs drew the next drive (or same drive) that was a terrible call on the defender

What can the NFL do to solve this? I'm a fan of letting them play, but then you leave it as an arbitrary decision to the guy throwing the flag, which circles back to where we are now. Is the uncatchable ball rule even exist anymore?

I cant remember the last time I watched an NFL game (Bills or other) where there wasn't absolutely brutal penalty calls that had a major impact on the game itself.

Have a ref upstairs.......If someone misses a penalty like PI buzz down and throw the flag. If someone calls a ridiculous holding penalty on the backside of a play where it had absolutely no outcome, Buzz down, and tell them to pick it up

/rant 

#ForwardLateral

The ones that piss me off the most are when they are borderline calls because our DBs time it well and then it overturns an INT. If it is that close don't call it because not only did you negate a turnover you tacked on yards for the opposing team. That is a pretty big swing in game play.

The others are like the few that were not called when WFT defenders were draped all over our receivers well before the ball and right near the goal line with no one else near. I think one happened with Reggie Gilliam, I believe there were a few more. You know that there are two Back Judges and a Field Judge and it is happening right in front of them yet they just swallowed the whistles.

Edited by WideNine
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No they wouldn’t.

They Absolutely would 

If a CB was ever beat bad he would just tackle the wide receiver... Better to lose 15 yards and save a touchdown 

I

4 hours ago, ProcessYaDigg said:

I have to disagree.  College doesn't give a spot foul for this penalty

And college corners tackle wide receivers to take a penalty and save a touchdown 

Happens a fairly good amount

Cuz it's only 15 yards

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

They Absolutely would 

If a CB was ever beat bad he would just tackle the wide receiver... Better to lose 15 yards and save a touchdown 

I

And college corners tackle wide receivers to take a penalty and save a touchdown 

Happens a fairly good amount

Cuz it's only 15 yards

It doesn’t happen a good amount. You’re not thinking this through.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It doesn’t happen a good amount.

I disagree

Throughout all the division 1 conferences.. from the MAC to the SEC, it happens weekly

It doesn't mean every game is a tackling fest downfield... But when a corner gets burned and has a chance to tackle a wide receiver and save a touchdown it happens

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I disagree

Throughout all the division 1 conferences.. from the MAC to the SEC, happens weekly

It doesn't mean every game is a tackling fest downfield... But when a corner gets burned and has a chance to tackle a wide receiver and save a touchdown it happens

It’s very rare. The reason it rarely happens is because if you’re close enough to touch a wr then you’re close enough to make a play on the ball.

CBs beaten badly will hold early in the route. 

• Like (+1) 1

I've seen so many plays this year where the receiver is open, about to catch a pass,  and the DB arrives a split second early and hits him from behind.  From the naked eye the ref sees perfect timing and a clean pass breakup, but from slo-mo replay, it's clear the receiver was nailed early which causes a 0% chance to catch the ball.  Those are frustrating and should be challengeable. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s very rare. The reason it rarely happens is because if you’re close enough to touch a wr then you’re close enough to make a play on the ball.

CBs beaten badly will hold early in the route. 

The difference between college-level cornerbacks and NFL quarterbacks is vast 

Lots of college level cornerbacks can't even turn around their head to make a play on the ball... Zero ball skills.. NFL corners don't even turn their head

So no if they're two steps away, a lot of college cbs are in no position to play the ball...  But they can stop the wide receiver from catching it 

It is Absolutely coached in college to do this in certain situations

Again I never said this happens in every single game.. if you watched 75 college football games(FBS FCS) throughout a week you would see it happen a few times

Edited by Buffalo716

57 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The difference between college-level cornerbacks and NFL quarterbacks is vast 

Lots of college level cornerbacks can't even turn around their head to make a play on the ball... Zero ball skills.. NFL corners don't even turn their head

So no if they're two steps away, a lot of college cbs are in no position to play the ball...  But they can stop the wide receiver from catching it 

It is Absolutely coached in college to do this in certain situations

Again I never said this happens in every single game.. if you watched 75 college football games(FBS FCS) throughout a week you would see it happen a few times

It’s not an issue in college football. It wouldn’t be an issue in the nfl. I really don’t know what point you’re trying to make. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s not an issue in college football. It wouldn’t be an issue in the nfl. I really don’t know what point you’re trying to make. 

My only point was that cornerbacks in the NFL would certainly take advantage of that 15-yard penalty rule

They blatantly interfere now with spot fouls and don't care.. so they absolutely would love the college rules

Not that the NFL is changing it

Edited by Buffalo716

7 hours ago, Muppy said:

Watching the Bills, and then redzone for the late games. I counted 10 PI calls that were either missed,  or called PI and absolutely horrible calls.

The Bills game had 3-4 by itself. The missed PI on Diggs bing one, and then the awful PI Diggs drew the next drive (or same drive) that was a terrible call on the defender

What can the NFL do to solve this? I'm a fan of letting them play, but then you leave it as an arbitrary decision to the guy throwing the flag, which circles back to where we are now. Is the uncatchable ball rule even exist anymore?

I cant remember the last time I watched an NFL game (Bills or other) where there wasn't absolutely brutal penalty calls that had a major impact on the game itself.

Have a ref upstairs.......If someone misses a penalty like PI buzz down and throw the flag. If someone calls a ridiculous holding penalty on the backside of a play where it had absolutely no outcome, Buzz down, and tell them to pick it up

/rant 

#ForwardLateral

Poor Refereeing has wrecked the NFL since inception? You just have to hope your team is not too bad of a victim when an important game is being played.  Luckily, us Bills fans never had to worry much as we seldom play important games. Things are different right now but I suggest you focus on something else.

The Bills have a long list of improvements needed before the playoffs arrive and they are focusing on that.

Go Bills!

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WideNine said:

The ones that piss me off the most are when they are borderline calls because our DBs time it well and then it overturns an INT. If it is that close don't call it because not only did you negate a turnover you tacked on yards for the opposing team. That is a pretty big swing in game play.

The others are like the few that were not called when WFT defenders were draped all over our receivers well before the ball and right near the goal line with no one else near. I think one happened with Reggie Gilliam, I believe there were a few more. You know that there are two Back Judges and a Field Judge and it is happening right in front of them yet they just swallowed the whistles.

I hate to beat a dead horse but the replays aren't being shown on a lot of these calls too. #Phantomreplay we commented in the GDT several times..

I like the discussion its great to bounce things offa y'all

15 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

This is a never ending argument Ive

read since I jumped on TBD years ago.  I’m out have fun ranting.  Some very true, some not.

thats cool man peace out. Im not as prolific a poster as many here but I enjoy reading you all greatly. Lots of threads to pick and choose

GO BILLS

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Muppy said:

I hate to beat a dead horse but the replays aren't being shown on a lot of these calls too. #Phantomreplay we commented in the GDT several times..

I like the discussion its great to bounce things offa y'all

Yup, on those questionable calls I want to see it because more times than not it's either a bad call or bad non-call. Makes me wonder if they do that because they don't want to bring as much attention to some of the poor officiating. IDK

• Agree 1

Absolutely needs to be a 15 yard penalty and not a spot foul.

Watching some of the older QBs, like Rodgers and Brady, they don't even throw deep balls to get catches - they throw them to draw DPI, and now you have WRs flopping rather than trying to catch a ball for that purpose. 

Needs to be a 15 yard foul. It works perfectly in college. No one wants to intentionally give up 15 yards

Edited by appoo
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

In my opinion we are in a time when DB are very penalized by DPI, in order to get back to a fair game:

- Don't allow the WR/TE to push (extending the arms) to get separation at the top of the route, call OPI damn it! [in the rules but rarely called]

- Allow the DB to play through the receiver if DB is playing the ball. Of course DB cannot HIT before the ball arrives, but some contact (basketball style) must be allowed. This will allow DB to defend taller and heavier TEs on curl routes. [update the rules]

- Allow the DB to defend his position  [in the rules, but sometimes DPI is called when contact occurs]

- Don't call DPI if offender initiates contact and DB is not playing the ball (the infamous call on Levi in Steelers game) [I think it is in the rules, but most of the times it goes the other way]

- Allow the DB to guard the offender without playing the ball and without initiating contact [it's in the rules, but sometimes DPI is called]

- Don't call DPI if ball cannot be received [it's in the rules, but very rarely applied]

- Allow hand-checking and hand-fighting, call DPI only if DB grab the jersey and/or lock the arm, and/or block the receiver (one block is allowed no more than 5 yards downfield) [I think rules are not clear]

- LB are allowed to hit the receveivers less than 5 yds downfield (usually on crossing patterns) ? Time ago was a big part of the game. I want to see this again.

I think you only have to do two things:

1) Make it legal for a DB to cut off a guys route again.

2) Make the arm bar legal again

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

On deep passes, what is stopping a defender from tackling a WR while the pass is on its way?

If the WR has his man beat, and the ball is thrown on target, the defender can't lay a finger on the WR. The way it should be.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

My only point was that cornerbacks in the NFL would certainly take advantage of that 15-yard penalty rule

They blatantly interfere now with spot fouls and don't care.. so they absolutely would love the college rules

Not that the NFL is changing it

They won’t. I don’t know if you’re thinking this through. Why would a CB tackle a wr instead of play the ball?

Where we see CBs get beat badly is early in the route and it’s called holding. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.