The game plan for the offensive line

Buffalo716

Was a brilliant plan, executed to perfection

Chase young was perfectly fine with rushing around the edge all day... Going around the hump so to speak 

Williams and Allen were perfectly in sync.. setting up the depth of drops... Which allowed Allen to step up through the wide speed rush.. and roll right which is where he's at his best

This was all by design and perfectly executed

The perfect way to neutralize a pass rusher.. is to take him out of the game instantly... Play to Allens strength which is his stature in the pocket and ability to move through it  

Williams was giving the wide speed rush.. knowing Allen has the presence and stature to feel it now.. which he did 

And it completely demoralized and took young out of the game.. because he knew he couldn't touch Allen 

But having young scouted.. knowing that he will take the cheese.. all day.. is a testament to the offensive line coach and how prepared they were

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Chase young was perfectly fine with rushing around the edge all day... Going around the hump so to speak 

Williams and Allen were perfectly in sync.. setting up the depth of drops... Which allowed Allen to step up through the wide speed rush.. and roll right which is where he's at his best

The perfect way to neutralize a pass rusher.. is to take him out of the game instantly... Play to Allens strength which is his stature in the pocket and ability to move through it  

Williams was giving the wide speed rush.. knowing Allen has the presence and stature to feel it now.. which he did 

And it completely demoralized and took young out of the game.. because he knew he couldn't touch Allen 

But having young scouted.. knowing that he will take the cheese.. all day.. is a testament to the offensive line coach and how prepared they were

Cody Ford is finally starting to play like a second round pick too.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

This only works if your interior line doesn’t get pushed back where Allen can’t step up.

Its what I saw in the Steelers game and made a huge difference.

The difference is that the Steelers are extremely well coached.. and their interior defensive line doesn't break their gap 

Cameron Hayward stayed home all day and it just ruined Josh

You can get interior pressure on Josh and play erratic and he will break contain... Staying in your Gap is the key to containing him

2 minutes ago, TPS said:

The line was shifted to Jonathan Allen

Which left Ford one-on-one with Payne.. and he fought hard all day

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

He struggled on the first few series but was solid thereafter.  Maybe I missed a play or two later in the game but he seemed to hold his own.  

You missed more than a play or two. Ford struggled yesterday. Payne is very good, so no shame, but it was not close to an even fight.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This only works if your interior line doesn’t get pushed back where Allen can’t step up.

Its what I saw in the Steelers game and made a huge difference.

Exactly. Teams had been getting a DT or looping defensive players with outside leverage on our RG pushing the pocket and keeping Allen from escaping or stepping up on that side. 

Our guards and Morse did a much better job holding their ground or getting some push to create space for Allen and seams for the running lanes. 

Great discussion here.   Thanks from all the people, like me, who don't know or see those things.   Good stuff.  

I'm particularly interested because it's an example of McDermott's philosophy.   He wants his team to learn to do something new every week.  He wants to be able to attack, on offense and on defense, in different ways from week to week.   "We block this way this week, we block another way next week."  He wants jack-of-all-trades guys, with a few masters thrown in.  

The dline analysis is similar to the oline analysis.  One week the Bills won on defense by attacking the QB.  Next week they won by containing the QB and playing pass defense.  Play different styles to take whatever advantage of any edge they can.

Still, while on defense that style may work, I worry about the offense.   At some point, there isn't a tactical edge when you're facing more strength, more speed, or more both.  I'd like to see a line that gets more outright one-on-one wins, rather than holding their own or worse from week to week.  I'm skeptical that this group has the physicality to win enough.  The Bills running backs don't threaten either with good speed or good power or good receiving skills, so they are guys who need good holes to get past the LOS.  The Bills offense eventually will have to be able to threaten to run the ball.   Moss and Singletary will be able to be that threat if the oline gives them better opportunities than we've seen.  

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Regarding the Bills game plan to let Chase Young go wide.........they simply copied the gameplan the Chargers(then NYG) had for him.   Not so much clever as competent use of copy cat game planning.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, TPS said:

Ford had one one of the worst PFF ratings 40-something on Sunday, giving up 12 pressures .   Luckily, Josh scrambled out of it most times.  Beane will continue to address in next years draft I am sure.  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

Ford had one one of the worst PFF ratings 40-something on Sunday, giving up 12 pressures .   Luckily, Josh scrambled out of it most times.  Beane will continue to address in next years draft I am sure.  

I stand corrected. tnx