Justin Fields saved the Bears' leadership from total embarrassment vs. the Bills

HOUSE

1 hour ago, I am the egg man said:

Ohio State does not produce NFL calibre QB's, though many of their QB's are highly touted to be able to excel at the pro level.

Buckeyes best pro QB ever was the undrafted Mike Tomczak. He had some moments ('85-'99), starting 78 games, including 5 playoff games in that 15 yr. span.

That he's the best QB ever from a long standing elite program like OSU, ain't saying much for their ability to develop NFL QB's there.

Odds aren't in Fields favor to buck that trend. 

Playing quarterback really is more of an individual thing than school thing.. there isn't one school that produces consistently good NFL quarterbacks

Recently Ohio state  just prefers more running quarterbacks with little NFL upside... Outside of one season stint with cardale Jones... And Haskins who was their biggest prospect they mostly prefer runners 

JT Barrett, Braxton Miller , Terrelle Pryor , Troy Smith .. all multi year starters. 

Most of their pocket passers are one year placemats.. not guys with big NFL futures

But they do they the #1 recruit in the nation.. a pocket passer by the name of Quin Ewers and he's a stud.. and he's probably going to be good in the league because he can sling The Rock better than 18 year old should be able to

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I have nothing against the Bears so I hope that the fields kid ends up working out for them that being said MT did embarrass the bears on Saturday

They threw away a number one overall pick QB and they had people on the radio saying that they were more excited about fields than they were about MT whenever he was drafted I call bull#### on that

I was surprised they didn't pick up Trubisky's fifth year option before last season and give themselves more time to evaluate him. I also understand there were never negotiations with his agent about a long term deal. If I was Chicago I think I'd have tried to get a bridge deal done. The way the Jags did with Bortles after his rookie deal expired. They said "okay we are still not sure here, but there is something there we are not quite ready to move on from" and his side said "okay they are only offering you a bridge Quarterback deal but this is you best chance to start next year." They paid him $18m per at a time when the top QB contracts were upper 20s and structured it so they could get out without any major penalty after two years. That is the kind of thing I thought the Bears and Trubisky should have been looking at. Maybe his side had made clear he would never accept that but I find that hard to believe as they must have known his market as a starter elsewhere was going to be relatively restricted. None of that would have stopped them still drafting Justin Fields if they wanted him. But Trubisky as a bridge > Dalton / Foles as a bridge. Trubisky wasn't ever going to be the guy but he is still a guy whereas Dalton was a guy once. 

What might explain it was I heard Greg Gabriel the other day saying that Mitch was not Matt Nagy's guy and then when Nagy was OC for the Chiefs and they scouted that 2017 class his personal rankings were Watson at #1, Mahomes at #2 and Deshone Kizer at #3 with Trubisky #4. Definitely feel that he never fully committed to Mitch and while Ryan Pace the GM who selected him is still there, he is only there by virtue of being bound to Nagy and if he and Nagy had disagreed on Mitch the McCluskey's would have sided with Nagy and Pace woulda been out of a job.

I think Fields is raw and I am not certain what his long term prognosis is, but he has shown an ability in the two pre-season games he has played to make things happen even in less than ideal circumstances. I get the "it is against 2nd, 3rd and even some 4th stringers" argument, I do, but equally he is playing with the Bears 2nd and 3rd stringers and their first stringers got blown out by the Bills 2s. So there is not much around him. That is a safe assertion too. He played better than Andy Dalton on Saturday. Just your eyes tell you that, whatever the numbers might indicate. Dalton could barely manage a first down. It was beyond painful to watch except as a Bills fan. I can totally understand Bears fans being excited about Fields and wanting him on the field given the circumstances. 

6 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Ohio State does not produce NFL calibre QB's, though many of their QB's are highly touted to be able to excel at the pro level.

Buckeyes best pro QB ever was the undrafted Mike Tomczak. He had some moments ('85-'99), starting 78 games, including 5 playoff games in that 15 yr. span.

That he's the best QB ever from a long standing elite program like OSU, ain't saying much for their ability to develop NFL QB's there.

Odds aren't in Fields favor to buck that trend. 

Show your work, please. 🤣And stay in this millennium. I’ll help - there are only 2 if you casually follow the analysis. If you really study the analysis, there is 1. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

This game, preseason or not, showed that the bears decision makers are, well, let’s just say they are bad at their respective jobs…, 

Just finished watching the two Bears preseason games. Fields is nowhere near ready to start. He might make a few plays because of how athletic he is, but he’s got a long way to go. Reminded me of Tyrod 

I thought the Bears made a big mistake letting Mitch go. Nagy should have been fired and I would have let the new coach decide in Mitch. 

• Agree 1

The Bears are a terribly run organization.  They did the same thing with Trubisky they are doing with Fields.  The line is poor, the defense has lost its swag and faith in Nagy.  Fields will have a new coach and Oc next year.  

28 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I didn’t look at the box score but I think Mooney only played one or two snaps 

21 minutes ago, syhuang said:

Right, Mooney played 2 snaps on Saturday.

CaptureO2.PNG

Fair enough.  But he caught 631 yards of passes last year playing all 16 games.  I put him in the Kmet "still hasn't proved to be a good player yet" category.

39 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

The Bears are a terribly run organization.  They did the same thing with Trubisky they are doing with Fields.  The line is poor, the defense has lost its swag and faith in Nagy.  Fields will have a new coach and Oc next year.  

Nagy is a poor leader

• Agree 3

On 8/22/2021 at 3:47 PM, 1ManRaid said:

Ah, back in my day some kid rookie named Josh Allen was declared a bust and the worst pick in Bills history for performances like that.  Had to walk uphill in the snow both ways to watch the games too.

Big difference, Josh was a raw prospect coming into the league.  On top of that his preseason training was not to get him on the field as a rookie. 

And the bigger point is that the Bills did not get rid of a good QB to bring him in. 

2 hours ago, artmalibu said:

Big difference, Josh was a raw prospect coming into the league.  On top of that his preseason training was not to get him on the field as a rookie. 

And the bigger point is that the Bills did not get rid of a good QB to bring him in. 

I was mostly just making a joke, but yeah that's pretty much what I tell people too.  Josh came from a crap program with little to no actual coaching, while Justin came from a power school.  So Justin doesn't have as much of an excuse to be raw as a rookie, and while certainly athletic, doesn't have Josh's physique to be as strong of a passer and absorb punishment.

• Like (+1) 1