Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-season game 1

GunnerBill

WE ARE BACK! Despite no popular demand the return of pre-season football after a one year hiatus means the return of Gunner's patented Good Night / Bad Night series as I look at who helped themselves and who hurt themselves as the season approaches. So with no further ado let's get to it...

Good Night for...

Greg Rousseau - Where else can you start? Let's not go overboard and declare him the second coming of Bruce Smith just yet, but this was a mighty impressive Bills debut for their first round draft selection. Playing his first meaningful football since 2019 Gregory Rousseau demonstrated the skillset that made him too good to pass up with the 30th pick of the draft. He bull rushed fellow rookie Penei Sewell into submission early and cleaned up Jared Goff for a sack and had two other pressures, one on Goff (from the inside) and one where he and AJ Epenesa met at backup Quarterback Tim Boyle in the second quarter. He still has work to do to clean up his technique both with his hand usage and his get off but you can't teach his length and it allows him to win with leverage. Excellent first outing and he is going to be pushing for a starting spot before too long. 

Devin Singletary - I have been critical of Singletary in the past but he has said publicly that his work this offseason has been on being more decisive at the line and we definitely saw that in his performance last night. No, the run blocking in 2020 was not very good, but too often Devin would be wiggling behind the line for no gain instead of hitting the hole that was there and taking the two or three yards on offer. Last night he was going north and south and then showing the wiggle at the second level to break the bigger runs. That is exactly what he needs to do. With Zack Moss nursing a hamstring Devin took his chance to put the first marker down in the battle to start at tailback. 

Linebacker depth - Twelve months ago one of my big concerns was depth at linebacker. With Edmunds, Milano and AJ Klein seemingly locked in to the top 3 spots and not playing last night the Bills started Tyrel Dodson, Tyler Matakevich and Andre Smith and all three showed really nicely. Dodson had 3 solo tackles in two series, including a nice one at the line for no gain, Matakevich had two and a pass break up on Goff's first pass and Andre Smith, who played into the second half had 6 solo tackles and was flying around the field. In addition, Joe Giles-Harris, one of their interesting under the radar pick ups this offseason flashed both on defense and special teams. I think the first three took a big step towards the 53 and Giles-Harris is a really interesting practice squad contender. The linebacker who hurt himself was Tyrell Adams who I had pencilled in for a roster spot at the start of camp. He was listed as third string on the depth chart released this week and had one horrendous whiff that won't help his cause last night. 

Tommy Sweeney - First of all it was a good night for Sweeney just because he was back on the football field after all he has been through. His roster battle is one of the most interesting to me. I think he is clearly the third tight end the question is will the Bills carry three out and out tight ends or be comfortable with two plus Reggie Gilliam? Two catches for 34 yards is hardly winning him a roster spot on its own but coupled with a disappointing night for the depth receivers he might be competing against he definitely took a step forward. 

Davis Webb - The Bills top two Quarterback spots are settled. Most expect them to keep a third on the practice squad rather than the active roster. Davis Webb put on film some competent NFL Quarterbacking and clearly outplayed Jake Fromm despite Fromm's late bomb to Stevenson which set up the winning field goal. Having watched a few clips of some other teams' backup situations - and watched Tim Boyle be rather uninspiring as the Lions backup I even wondered whether there might be a risk of Webb being signed away to another active roster. 

Bad Night for...

Cornerback depth - Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. We have a problem. I don't know if any of the corners behind our three starters can play. Dane Jackson was all at sea on the outside and Siran Neal (our backup nickel) got spun like a top a couple of times by Amon-Ra St Brown the nippy slot receiver for the Lions. It didn't get much better. Rashad Wildgoose looked out of his depth even against the Lions 3rd string receivers, and their two UDFAs McCloud and Griffin had their struggles too. Cam Lewis seemed to fair a tad better playing as the nickel for much of the second half. I'd like to see him used more on the boundary next week. At the moment he has an open path to the roster. The only play made by a Bills corner all night was made by Levi Wallace. For all his haters he is the clear starter opposite Tre White. It isn't close. This is a spot where I think we desperately need to find an experienced vet for depth. 

Bobby Hart - Talking of positions where the Bills might need vet help brings me to offensive tackle. Spencer Brown had an up and down night but is pretty much a roster lock. The other backup tackle spot is more of a puzzle. I have been pretty vocal that I think Beane and McDermott will want a veteran option and that was reinforced by Tommy Doyle's struggles in the second half but Bobby Hart struggled all day. He had a holding penalty early and then gave up numerous pressures and a sack late. I suspect the Bills front office will have their eye out for a veteran upgrade but offensive line depth league wide is not great so this is not an easy one to solve. 

The returners - Isaiah McKenzie and Marquez Stevenson had one solid kick return each but overall this was an uninspiring tie in the battle for the return job. McKenzie lost yards on one punt trying to break one rather than taking what was there and Brandon Powell did nothing with his opportunities. McKenzie remains the man in possession but he hasn't put this battle to bed just yet. 

Carlos "Boogie" Basham - A struggle for Boogie. My concern with him coming out and the reason he had a third round grade on my board was that I didn't see a way for him to win consistently vs NFL tackles. He tried everything last night, he tried the bull rush, he tried a wider arc, he tried the spin move but he just doesn't have a special trait (something like Rousseau's length for example) that will make a tackle's job difficult. I personally thought the roughing the passer call was him trying that bit too hard and while fans might not like it that was called entirely in line with the guidance officials get these days. He was outplayed not only by Rousseau but by Obada and Darryl Johnson on the night. His performance was consistent with reports that he has faded badly in camp. He is not in any danger for his roster spot given his draft status but at the moment he isn't ready for the NFL. 

Antonio Williams - I, like many others, liked what I saw in Williams's week 17 cameo against the Dolphins and was excited to see what he could do in pre-season. While it is fair to say he didn't have the same line blocking for him that Singletary had early on - Boettger and Ford were not in and Spencer Brown came out early in the 2nd half too - Williams was unable to take his opportunities last night and as a guy very much mired in that 4th running back spot coming in he didn't elevate his stock. With Singletary, Moss and Brieda ahead of him and Jones as that special teams / break glass in emergency runner Williams will have to ball out now in games 2 and 3 to avoid being cut - although a return to the practice squad remains possible.  

So there it is, the Bills' first pre-season game in two year is in the book. I'll be back with my thoughts after pre-season game number 2!

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 19
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 13

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

When he extends that right arm and angles his body ( extra length/karate striking trick) Sewell can’t even get his hands on him. Not something we will see him get away with often  as it’s defendable but sweet to see it last night.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

When he extends that right arm and angles his body ( extra length/karate striking trick) Sewell can’t even get his hands on him. Not something we will see him get away with often  as it’s defendable but sweet to see it last night.

No but as his arms are longer than many LTs arms - it should be available as needed.

The length with a stretch allow him to get a hand to the tackle before the tackle can get his hands on Rousseau and if he is strong enough with that punch - many tackles are going to look just like Sewell there.

• Agree 3

Love the post @GunnerBill - agreed pretty much right along the board with what you said.

I have to believe the team will watch that film and be most upset with Hart.  I think they were hoping he would look good against those back-ups and maybe drive up an asking price for trade.  Instead - he showed he couldn’t even compete with 4th and 5th string guys - huge disappointment as I think he was gone anyway, but I think he just may have played himself out of the league rather than even a tradable commodity.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

No but as his arms are longer than many LTs arms - it should be available as needed.

The length with a stretch allow him to get a hand to the tackle before the tackle can get his hands on Rousseau and if he is strong enough with that punch - many tackles are going to look just like Sewell there.

Crazy how Sewell is jolted backwards at that initial punch. Mouth watering stuff

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Pretty good review.

Agree on the CBs that everyone knew and the Bills did nothing about.

Agree on the tackle depth.  Really concerning.  I thought Bates was bad too.  Need to find someone to bring in.

One guy that really stood out in a negative way, was Efe Obada.  Darryl Johnson should easily make thee team over Efe.  An absolute cheap play to go after the QBs legs like that, and over pursued all night.  Get him out of here.

I disagree with your Webb assessment.  Thought he was pretty bad.  The throws he made were not difficult ones.  He was bad at reading the play and going through progressions fast.  Fromm showed something you could work with, Webb gave me nothing that I felt like I trust if he had to go into a game.

Stevenson needs to get some run with the starters to see what he can do with a good QB.  We need speed bad on this team.

Hodgins isn't cut out for the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 8
  • Dislike 5

I just finished watching the game and my immediate post-game reaction was:  cut Hart.  He was brutal.

So happy to see that Rousseau appears to be ready for prime time.

Roughing call on Obada was complete b.s.  I “get” the call on Boogie but it was borderline also.

I thought Boogie had his struggles but also flashed a few times.

Agree with your take on CB depth.

I’ll add Stevenson to the “good night” column.  Showed excellent hands and displayed some of that speed.  I’ll give him a pass for taking that last kickoff out of the end zone as he was just trying to make a play.

I was less enthusiastic about Webb’s play.  I guess it was gameplanning but absolutely nothing down the field, and a couple of those throwaways were questionable.  Really bad play on the intentional grounding; I don’t expect that from a guy everyone says is so smart.  He threw the pass to Sweeney on his inside shoulder or that could have been an even bigger play.

I think Fromm had a decent outing.  No chance on those sacks.  Put the ball in good position on most of his throws (missed Duke on the deep one) and he was the only Bills QB to go downfield with the ball.

Really liked the emphasis on the running game and agree that Motor looked great.

It was only one play but an excellent CATCH in a tight window by Knox.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Thanks…. Scratching my head wondering why the Bills did absolutely nothing at corner all off-season. Still not too late….

I think cuts are good spot to grab depth for CB and OL, there tends to be surprise vet cuts somewhere and the Bills aren't looking for a starter at CB. They probably could get a better starter opposite Tre just don't think that's their plan.

@GunnerBill Is it too late to add Aresnal to the Bad Night 😈

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, eball said:

I think Fromm had a decent outing.  No chance on those sacks.  Put the ball in good position on most of his throws (missed Duke on the deep one) and he was the only Bills QB to go downfield with the ball.

Fromm had three throws to the outside that are all pick 6s in a regular season game against first team corners. The ball took forever to get out there. Peterman mark II

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I think cuts are good spot to grab depth for CB and OL, there tends to be surprise vet cuts somewhere and the Bills aren't looking for a starter at CB. They probably could get a better starter opposite Tre just don't think that's their plan.

@GunnerBill Is it too late to add Aresnal to the Bad Night 😈

I'd have to add a new category to describe Arsenal's "performance" last night.

13 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Pretty good review.

Agree on the CBs that everyone knew and the Bills did nothing about.

Agree on the tackle depth.  Really concerning.  I thought Bates was bad too.  Need to find someone to bring in.

One guy that really stood out in a negative way, was Efe Obada.  Darryl Johnson should easily make thee team over Efe.  An absolute cheap play to go after the QBs legs like that, and over pursued all night.  Get him out of here.

I disagree with your Webb assessment.  Thought he was pretty bad.  The throws he made were not difficult ones.  He was bad at reading the play and going through progressions fast.  Fromm showed something you could work with, Webb gave me nothing that I felt like I trust if he had to go into a game.

Stevenson needs to get some run with the starters to see what he can do with a good QB.  We need speed bad on this team.

Hodgins isn't cut out for the NFL.

Stevenson, even if he makes the team, is very rarely going to see the field unless it’s special teams.  I don’t know how we need speed real bad when we scored 501 points….seems like it worked.

3 minutes ago, eball said:

I just finished watching the game and my immediate post-game reaction was:  cut Hart.  He was brutal.

So happy to see that Rousseau appears to be ready for prime time.

Roughing call on Obada was complete b.s.  I “get” the call on Boogie but it was borderline also.

I thought Boogie had his struggles but also flashed a few times.

Agree with your take on CB depth.

I’ll add Stevenson to the “good night” column.  Showed excellent hands and displayed some of that speed.  I’ll give him a pass for taking that last kickoff out of the end zone as he was just trying to make a play.

I was less enthusiastic about Webb’s play.  I guess it was gameplanning but absolutely nothing down the field, and a couple of those throwaways were questionable.  Really bad play on the intentional grounding; I don’t expect that from a guy everyone says is so smart.  He threw the pass to Sweeney on his inside shoulder or that could have been an even bigger play.

Really liked the emphasis on the running game and agree that Motor looked great.

It was only one play but an excellent CATCH in a tight window by Knox.

No it wasn't.  That is how QBs breaks knees and legs.  I would like to see the response if someone did that to Allen.  It's a play that needs out of the game

• Agree 2

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Fromm had three throws to the outside that are all pick 6s in a regular season game against first team corners. The ball took forever to get out there. Peterman mark II

Yeah, maybe.  I think he still winds up on the PS.

3 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

No it wasn't.  That is how QBs breaks knees and legs.  I would like to see the response if someone did that to Allen.  It's a play that needs out of the game

I don’t know…he didn’t go at Boyle’s knees at all; it looked to me like an effort to tackle him at his ankles, which happens all the time.  I’ll have to watch it again.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

He may well because he is a nice Christian boy and they do seem to like him. He isn't talented enough though. 

In any event, it’s nice to be debating who is the better 3rd or 4th string QB for the Bills.

Edited by eball
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Back2Buff said:

He didn’t go after his legs, he dipped his shoulder and beat the tackle….the tackle pushed Efe into the QB, Efe hooked a leg.  

It was a penalty based on the text book rule but it wasn’t a cheap shot.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 2