Edgerrin James made the HOF?

Not taking anything away from James by any means, just want to mention he was in one of the best passing offenses ever. That certainly helps a RB when Defenses are always more concentrated on passing.

He did get many yards when he did get opportunities because they passed a lot more than ran.

On 8/7/2021 at 6:47 PM, Buffalo03 said:

The reason why I do think Kurt Warner is a HOF player is because of the franchises he turned around. 

The Rams were absolute garbage when he took over and he got them to a Super Bowl in his first year as a starter. He took them to 2 Super Bowls and although he had Marshall Faulk, Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce, it's not the "Greatest Show on Turf" without him. 

After a couple rough years with injuries and a year as a lame duck QB as a backup to Eli, he goes to Arizona and takes over for Matt Leinart and turns around another garbage team, who despite having Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin (which the other QBs they had did nothing with) he takes them to a Super Bowl and has the Cardinals right there to beat the Steelers. He took the freaking Cardinals to a Super Bowl. 

2 franchises that were junk before he got there, he turned around. That is HOF worthy to me

He took 2 franchises to the super bowl. and won 1.  He also won 2 MVP's.  There are greater tragedies than a 2x MVP 1x Super bowl MVP being in the HOF.  

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, eball said:

Umm, Thurman led the league from scrimmage for four consecutive seasons.  Who else has done that? (Hint: nobody)  He was also a big time playoff performer.  Compiler my arse.  Frank Gore is the ultimate compiler.

exactly. i was gonna bring up the 4 straight years if somebody else didnt.... at that time in history he was also one of only 2 backs(with sanders) ever to go for over 1000  in 8 straight seasons. He was a "compiler alright". Compiling milestones that nobody else had ever approached.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, eball said:

Umm, Thurman led the league from scrimmage for four consecutive seasons.  Who else has done that? (Hint: nobody)  He was also a big time playoff performer.  Compiler my arse.  Frank Gore is the ultimate compiler.

He had 5 elite seasons.

Not saying Thurman isn’t worthy, but after his first 6-seasons the next three just-over 1,000 yards seasons were at 3.8 - 3.9 ypc clip. 

I agree, Gore is definitely become a compiler after his prime ended, same with Peterson, although the peak o higher.

On 8/7/2021 at 6:47 PM, Buffalo03 said:

The reason why I do think Kurt Warner is a HOF player is because of the franchises he turned around. 

The Rams were absolute garbage when he took over and he got them to a Super Bowl in his first year as a starter. He took them to 2 Super Bowls and although he had Marshall Faulk, Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce, it's not the "Greatest Show on Turf" without him. 

After a couple rough years with injuries and a year as a lame duck QB as a backup to Eli, he goes to Arizona and takes over for Matt Leinart and turns around another garbage team, who despite having Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin (which the other QBs they had did nothing with) he takes them to a Super Bowl and has the Cardinals right there to beat the Steelers. He took the freaking Cardinals to a Super Bowl. 

2 franchises that were junk before he got there, he turned around. That is HOF worthy to me

Don't leave out the Super Bowl MVP and League MVPs (1999, 2001).  Once upon a time, Kurt was the highest rated passer in league history.  I don't understand how folks don't have him as Hall of Fame worthy, especially if you witnessed his career.

Edge was Hall worthy, but got in quicker than I anticipated - like with a lot of the more recent classes.  I don't think Calvin Johnson should have went in before Torry Holt.

Edited by Chicken Boo

On 8/8/2021 at 8:07 AM, Stank_Nasty said:

No not even close. The stars are plenty meaningful in every HOF convo. This is so off base it hurts. James had 4 different 1500 yd seasons! That’s taking over. Hands down. And go back and find me another RB playing with manning that came even remotely close to James production. 

Also you can’t seriously sit there and rip James for having an elite QB and then give Thomas a nod. Kelly was a top 3-5 qb all through Thomas’ prime. 

Let’s also not pretend like Thomas was the first dual threat back. Roger craig was a two way monster in the 80’s. 

Just a really rough post on your part all the way around. Really missed the mark. 

Ya, I was not sober when I wrote that, not my best work 🤣

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Don't leave out the Super Bowl MVP and League MVPs (1999, 2001).  Once upon a time, Kurt was the highest rated passer in league history.  I don't understand how folks don't have him as Hall of Fame worthy, especially if you witnessed his career.

Edge was Hall worthy, but got in quicker than I anticipated - like with a lot of the more recent classes.  I don't think Calvin Johnson should have went in before Torry Holt.

I think people sometimes judge Warner against the numbers of today’s QB’s. It’s easy to forget that Warner was the best QB in the league for several years. His Rams team ran an offense that was similar to much of today’s NFL. Warner was in many ways a trailblazer who led an offense that was ahead of its time. 

• Agree 1

On 8/8/2021 at 1:58 AM, Big Turk said:

Eli is very Meh to me...I never thought he was anything great.

Highest QB rating for a season was 93.6, career 84.1...most TDs in a season were 35 which he did once.

The only thing he ever led the league in a season was INTs thrown which he did 3 times.

That's just not good enough for a HOF worthy QB.

Agree, if he does get in it for the Super Bowl heroics. Kind of a modern Joe Namath.

On 8/18/2021 at 12:39 AM, Nelius said:

Will add that if it's at all about "the story of the NFL" more so than stats and rings, then Marshawn should be an absolute lock. Doubtful, but I think he was more impactful/legendary than McCoy, Taylor, Dillon, etc.

Marshawn is more legendary than Curtis Martin and several other Hall of Fame RBs.  That doesn't really account for much.

Had Pete Carroll...you know what - never mind.  😬

Edited by Chicken Boo

20 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I do think Calvin should have got in before Torry Holt. He was a better WR and sort of a one of a kind. 6'5 240 and ran a 4.35. Caught 83 TDs in 9 seasons and I think the only doubt casted among Calvin being a first ballot is he didn't play 12 or 13 years. If he did, no one would disagree. I believe he still holds the record for WR yards in a season and is only one of I think a handful of WRs to ever have a 300 yard receving game. Johnson if he played 5 or 6 years longer would have been top 5 all time in my opinion

42 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I do think Calvin should have got in before Torry Holt. He was a better WR and sort of a one of a kind. 6'5 240 and ran a 4.35. Caught 83 TDs in 9 seasons and I think the only doubt casted among Calvin being a first ballot is he didn't play 12 or 13 years. If he did, no one would disagree. I believe he still holds the record for WR yards in a season and is only one of I think a handful of WRs to ever have a 300 yard receving game. Johnson if he played 5 or 6 years longer would have been top 5 all time in my opinion

No disagreements about what could have been.  Megatron would be the #2 receiver on my all time team.  Having said that, Torry Holt wasn't a slouch.  He had 8 straight seasons of 1,100+ yards receiving and was the fastest WR ever to 10,000 yards at that time.  He did this while having to share touches with Isaac Bruce and Mashall Faulk/Steven Jackson.  Add in the Super Bowl victory and that puts him over the top for me.

Truthfully, having been retired since 2009, Holt should have been in already.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

No disagreements about what could have been.  Megatron would be the #2 receiver on my all time team.  Having said that, Torry Holt wasn't a slouch.  He had 8 straight seasons of 1,100+ yards receiving and was the fastest WR ever to 10,000 yards at that time.  He did this while having to share touches with Isaac Bruce and Mashall Faulk/Steven Jackson.  Add in the Super Bowl victory and that puts him over the top for me.

Truthfully, having been retired since 2009, Holt should have been in already.

Yeah, Holt should probably be in considering he retired 12 years ago. But I wouldn't have him as first ballot. I do think he will get in eventually