McDermott 8th longest tenured head coach in the NFL .. horrible job security

On 7/13/2021 at 1:14 PM, Kwai San said:

I would venture that maybe someone else other than Zimmer might be out after this season too.  Not going to pull a Nostradamus and try to say who but #2 or #3 might be the guy who might leave.

#'s 8 and 9 are gonna be around for a long time IMHO......kinda forgot they got hired within a day of each other.....Shanny might be out soon.....interesting list of ALLLLLLLLL those coaches hired in 2019, 20 and 21!!!

I disagree. I think #5 has the highest odds. I think the game may have passed him by a bit and if this unrest with Wilson continues, who knows. He could also just retire since he's super old.

On 7/13/2021 at 7:34 PM, SirAndrew said:

No one. I said that BB exposed the “absence of progressive coaching”. Meaning he became an all time great partially due to a lack of creative coaching around the league. BB took chances other coaches wouldn’t. Game plans that sometimes involved throwing every down, and going for fourth down in situations where the odds were in his favor. Most NFL coaches don’t accept data that supports more risk taking at the proper time. Coaching is coming around to new ideas, but my point was in reference to head coaching turnover. This is a fickle league, but coaches don’t do themselves any favors. You’ve got guys like Doug Marrone punting on fourth and one with mediocre rosters that need to take chances to win. 

Case in point, from point maximizing standpoint, most teams should be going for 2 almost every single time. I think that's going to be the next shoe to drop.

On 7/13/2021 at 6:24 PM, GunnerBill said:

It's why Harbaugh is chronically underrated. In a division which is never easy - Pittsburgh's last losing season came before twitter was a thing - and with two Quarterbacks who have their strengths but nobody is confusing with being elite he has had 1 losing season (and they were completely injury ravaged that year) he has made the playoffs 9 times in 13 years, is 11-8 in the post season and has a ring. It is remarkable. 

The one thing you would say is he has been supported by good ownership and a top 5 front office, but even allowing for that his record speaks for itself.

Is he underrated? He's always mentioned in every top coach conversation I've seen.

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Is he underrated? He's always mentioned in every top coach conversation I've seen.

He always seems to get thrown in below the Reids and the Paytons and for me after Belichick there is nobody I'd have higher.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boxcar said:

I disagree. I think #5 has the highest odds. I think the game may have passed him by a bit and if this unrest with Wilson continues, who knows. He could also just retire since he's super old.

Well like I said I am not going to try to pull a Nostradamus or anything, but I can't say I disagree with your thoughts.  Honestly never even really thought about how old he actually is.  OK I googled it...only 69.....he could be around longer than ya think....hell BB is the same age.

57 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Well like I said I am not going to try to pull a Nostradamus or anything, but I can't say I disagree with your thoughts.  Honestly never even really thought about how old he actually is.  OK I googled it...only 69.....he could be around longer than ya think....hell BB is the same age.

Mike Tomlin is a REALLY good coach, though. He took that team last year into a 12-4 season with injuries on defense, a non existent run game, an immobile Big Ben who can't reliably throw the ball more than 5 yards and one of the highest, if not the highest, receiver drop rate in the league. The year prior he had a winning record with Mason Rudolph and Duck Hodges. I think the only way Tomlin goes is if he wants to.

Pretty much near ditto for Sean Payton. I just don't see where you're gonna find a better pair just floating around or among the various offensive/defensive coordinators.

And FTR, on Pete Carroll, I don't think Belichick will be around much longer either.

Outside of the obvious firings below McD as there are always at least 5-6 firings every year, BB and Carroll will retire eventually.  They are both approx. the same at 69.  Maybe 3-4

more years.  They both have huge egos, but that’s redundant for every NFL and D1 HC.

I can see both of the above moving into only the front office.  I don’t see either in the media.

Zimmer is still on the proverbial hot seat above McD, but they have acquired assets so maybe he makes the playoffs again.

I saw a 60-something version of McDermott at the grocery store down here in St Augustine, yesterday. Same build, face and wearing the signature sun hat.  I almost said, Go Bills or Hey Coach.  I wonder where McD will be coaching in his 60s. 

7 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I saw a 60-something version of McDermott at the grocery store down here in St Augustine, yesterday. Same build, face and wearing the signature sun hat.  I almost said, Go Bills or Hey Coach.  I wonder where McD will be coaching in his 60s. 

He will either be in Buffalo or he will be somewhere as Head Coach Chad Hall's defensive coordinator :D.

On 7/13/2021 at 1:58 PM, Chandler#81 said:

I don’t agree with Tomlin being on a hot seat. They challenged the best ever win season total last year. Personally, I don’t care for the guy, but this is Pittsburgh. They keep HCs til they’re pushing up daisies

Anyway, congrats to McD! May you retire here with multiple titles.

I already acknowledged that Steelers dont fire HCs. It can be a mutual parting (that is why I said Steelers / Tomlin on the hotseat) - like Carlisle with the Mavs. After the way they imploded down the stretch, it It is hard to see the Steelers contending. It is not just the 1-5 closing stretch  - it is the way they lost - losing to a Ryan Finley led Bengals team (with 89 passing yards) - a competitive Tomlin may also decide to move on since he does not want to be part of a long rebuild.

On 7/13/2021 at 5:45 PM, Fan in Chicago said:

I kinda disagree re:Tomlin. I am not a big fan of his but he hasn't really had a healthy and young Roethlisberger at his disposal the past few years. The Steelers should have drafted his replacement (1st round) two years back. But given where they are, draft one next year, hit the reset button and give Tomlin 1+2 years more. 

I am not just basing the hot seat on Steelers firing Tomlin - actually I think the Steelers roster is not doing him any favors and he may also want to move to a team with a more competitive roster. There is reason to doubt that an accomplished coach like Tomlin will want to go thru a lengthy rebuild post-Big Ben.

On 7/14/2021 at 1:40 AM, BornAgainBillsFan said:

Quick, name the last Steelers HC to get fired. It just doesn't happen. The Rooneys pick the right guy for their organization, then they give him a few decades to settle into the job. I will grant you that it is surprising that they don't really have a good back-up plan if Ben falls off a cliff. Rudolph or Haskins is no way to live. But I'm guessing that Tomlin won't get the blame, if that happens. GM Kevin Colbert probably would. Or the Rooneys might just chalk it up to bad juju, and move on.

The Pegulas picked keepers as GM and HC, so hopefully they're trying to bring that kind of stability to this team, as well.

Didnt I already say that the Steelers dont fire head coaches? But Tomlin can also decide to leave if the Steelers go for a rebuild. There are too many contenders ready to jump at the chance to get Tomlin, who checks every box.

5 hours ago, The Dean said:

I do not think McDermott's are very unusual.  There is a guy a work who looks like a younger version of him.  He saw me what was up and I said I was looking at some photos of him from Eagles and it looks like him and he said "show me" and I did and he said yes he can see resemblance. 

11 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Didnt I already say that the Steelers dont fire head coaches? But Tomlin can also decide to leave if the Steelers go for a rebuild. There are too many contenders ready to jump at the chance to get Tomlin, who checks every box.

Don't forget Steelers will get comp draft pick for him.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

You did, so we are sympatico in the end. What I was reacting to was the previous sentence: "And Tomlin / Steeler are also kinda on the hot seat." To me, being on the hot seat means that there's at least a decent chance of getting canned. And the last time the Steelers fired a head coach was 52 years ago.

If Tomlin decided that he only wanted to be a HC for a few more years, then retire, then I could see him looking for a better chance at another ring somewhere else. But if he's still in it for the long haul, there's no more stable situation (one that virtually guarantees employment) in all of sports than the Steelers, even with a rebuild/retool right around the corner.

The bottom feeders are always looking for " The Guy" thankfully the Bills finally got theirs  :)

Remember a few years ago when some people thought we needed someone flashier and thought Mc Clappy needed to go.

Now he might be the most liked/loved coach since Marv :)

2 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.20bb8fe2859f1f7979d89d28a8937a31.jpeg

"So, here's my resume and my card...call me anytime!"

I almost cried when that Buffoon was named Bills head coach.

I phoned the my account rep and asked him to cancel my tickets....he said no go you already paid for them.

He said the phones were ringing off the hook for tickets....so give me my money back and resell them....he said... can't do that.

Year 2 and my 10 years of seniority were gone and so  was Wrex before year end :)

I called my ticket rep the day he got gassed and said I want seasons for next year he said you won't get as good of seats I said I don't care.

I actually got better seats :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I almost cried when that Buffoon was named Bills head coach.

I phoned the my account rep and asked him to cancel my tickets....he said no go you already paid for them.

He said the phones were ringing off the hook for tickets....so give me my money back and resell them....he said... can't do that.

Year 2 and my 10 years of seniority were gone and so  was Wrex before year end :)

I called my ticket rep the day he got gassed and said I want seasons for next year he said you won't get as good of seats I said I don't care.

I actually got better seats :)

Same. One of my most deflating days as a Bills fan. 

• Like (+1) 1

That’s because he’s a good coach.  It was his call post USC to pick Russell Wilson over the trade from GB for what’s his name at this point.

Wilson was a 3rd round pick who everyone thought was too short and has been one of the best QB’s in the last decade. They made two SB’s, destroyed the Broncos, and was one play from a repeat.

Marv coached into an advanced age.  BB and Carroll will probably coach for another few years.  You know BB is going to try and beat Halas and Shula’s records.

9 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

You know BB is going to try and beat Halas and Shula’s records.

image.jpeg.54345fd5a57f35aa687679cdbc8a00b9.jpeg
"You think  you know, Mr. Kelly.  I, however, know you  went to St. Francis H.S., and got a speeding ticket in Starke, Florida."

😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

image.jpeg.54345fd5a57f35aa687679cdbc8a00b9.jpeg
"You think  you know, Mr. Kelly.  I, however, know you  went to St. Francis H.S., and got a speeding ticket in Starke, Florida."

😁

My real name is St. Schultz and I see…

Yavolt Colonel Klink!

(Before my time but a classic on ch. 29 as a kid for the reruns)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 7/16/2021 at 11:29 AM, Boxcar said:

Mike Tomlin is a REALLY good coach, though. He took that team last year into a 12-4 season with injuries on defense, a non existent run game, an immobile Big Ben who can't reliably throw the ball more than 5 yards and one of the highest, if not the highest, receiver drop rate in the league. The year prior he had a winning record with Mason Rudolph and Duck Hodges. I think the only way Tomlin goes is if he wants to.

Pretty much near ditto for Sean Payton. I just don't see where you're gonna find a better pair just floating around or among the various offensive/defensive coordinators.

And FTR, on Pete Carroll, I don't think Belichick will be around much longer either.

Yeah, Tomlin on the hot seat is a pipe dream. Another stupid one is Kyle Shanahan. Just took his team to a Superbowl. That would be like firing McDermott if we somehow stumbled to an 8-8 season. It will take SEVERAL losing seasons to get rid of either. 

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

My real name is St. Schultz and I see…

Yavolt Colonel Klink!

(Before my time but a classic on ch. 29 as a kid for the reruns)

I like a lot of the old classics bc of watching Nick at Nite as a kid. People are like “how do u know about the Andy Griffith show???” Bro, I’ve been watching that show since I was 4.