EDIT: Total cost to taxpayers? Bills select sports firm to represent ownership in building new open air stadium in OP, targeted for 2025

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Why are fans so angry at the Pegulas? It's the weirdest fan anger towards an owner I've ever seen. They've dropped so much money into Western New York. 

This is especially confusing to me because the choice that was leaked: Open air and in OP both are choices that benefit the fans over the owner.

People should be thanking the Pegula’s for listening to what they want - the fans wanted cheaper prices and tailgating as some of the more important features of a new stadium and for once you have owners that listened.

The things that benefit individual fans in OP also benefit the Pegula’s financially - which is a win/win.  A higher public financed amount - by any means - helps lower or eliminate PSLs and keeps ticket prices down as the Cost is spread across a wider group rather than just users.  This should allow for the Pegula’s to maintain a profit and people to continue to get season tickets and tailgate.

As I have said before - I believe the ideal situation for the Pegula’s would be a downtown Stadium - near the Arena where visitors/opposing teams use their hotels and visit their restaurants and bring them more money, but I think they saw that OP would be cheaper and make things better for fans - so they divested some of those things and went with the OP route.

The people that should be mad are the non-fans that will have their money invested into this new stadium, but that was occurring either way.  The Bills fans whether local or outside the area should not be angry with the Pegula’s - even if in the end it becomes 80-100% publicly financed because the choice in OP was done strictly for the fans as it is the least logical choice based upon what the Pegula’s own and where and what would be most helpful to get additional funds to improve much needed infrastructure in the city.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Why are fans so angry at the Pegulas? It's the weirdest fan anger towards an owner I've ever seen. They've dropped so much money into Western New York. 

Two things that I can tell:

1. They're mad about the Sabres, not the Bills, and projecting from there.

2. They havent had much to complain about with the Bills in over 3 years, and we just don't know how to deal with that as a fanbase, so all that bottled up anger is coming out at the first little thing that pops up.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

2. They havent had much to complain about with the Bills in over 3 years, and we just don't know how to deal with that as a fanbase, so all that bottled up anger is coming out at the first little thing that pops up.

I'd probably also add that they are Billionaires as well, that bothers people with regards to paying for things.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

But they've spent crazy amounts of money on the Sabres. Developed amateur hockey downtown and brought the NHL combine to Buffalo. 

Fans were angry at the Pegulas for keeping Regier and Ruff also. Sabres fans are just extremely angry all the time. I went to a Sabres game a few years ago and the place erupted in boo's in the 1st period. It was miserable. 

The Sabres of the past 10 years make the Bills' drought years appear like the Golden Years.

Its unreal to take a step back and litigate how poorly that franchise has been managed, especially in light of how it was in really good/decent shape when they took it over (on and off the ice).  All the team needed was a fresh Team President and replace the generally stale and past their expiration date GM and Coach, and they have made literally every wrong decision since.

Harbor Center is great, but it has been abandoned to a degree.  Much of their website is full of broken links.  There isnt much information on there (for instance, if you click on a tournament scheduled for a few weeks, a month, or the rest of the season for more info, it says that you should check back later for more information).  The Academy of Hockey has been completely abandoned or something.  716 is changing hands, the Labatt House hasnt opened since the pandemic, a lot of their stuff down there has been poorly managed.

Also, a lot of the bad press of generally draconian measures for an absolute bloodletting of Sabres employees apparently due to cost (who weren't replaced).  Timing it with the report that the morale at the organization was terrible and the employees were given a handout with the famous "preserving our lifestyle" nonsense.

Without them, it is likely the Bills would not be here anymore.  I get that.  I appreciate that and don't lose focus.  The Bills seem to be run completely different than the hockey team, but I also fear if/when we get our Linda Bogdan moment.

However, I understand people's frustration from this family when a report comes out that they want fully-public $1.5 billion to fund their stadium, along with thinly veiled 'threats' (although I haven't seen anything too concerning to me).  I personally havent complained because nothing concrete has come out of the negotiations at all (and I have been on board with the Orchard Park option).  I knew this step would be awkward due to the Pegula's unwavering commitment to Buffalo, but also wanting public money at this juncture.

As far as the Sabres go.  I went from watching probably 95-98% of all their games from about 1987 - 2013, to last season probably watching a (1) combined full game.  I was a long-term season ticket holder who cancelled the day the general manager appeared to celebrate that things were great because the team 'was in a position to be in games'.  They have completely ruined the Sabres and the NHL for me.  I cannot take any pride in this organization at all.  

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

But they've spent crazy amounts of money on the Sabres. Developed amateur hockey downtown and brought the NHL combine to Buffalo. 

Fans were angry at the Pegulas for keeping Regier and Ruff also. Sabres fans are just extremely angry all the time. I went to a Sabres game a few years ago and the place erupted in boo's in the 1st period. It was miserable. 

it's hard not to be . They are a poorly run organization

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Some are so used to being used as puppets in campaigns recently that even when the strings are very weak they start lighting their torches and sharpening their pitchforks.

6 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

This is especially confusing to me because the choice that was leaked: Open air and in OP both are choices that benefit the fans over the owner.

People should be thanking the Pegula’s for listening to what they want - the fans wanted cheaper prices and tailgating as some of the more important features of a new stadium and for once you have owners that listened.

The things that benefit individual fans in OP also benefit the Pegula’s financially - which is a win/win.  A higher public financed amount - by any means - helps lower or eliminate PSLs and keeps ticket prices down as the Cost is spread across a wider group rather than just users.  This should allow for the Pegula’s to maintain a profit and people to continue to get season tickets and tailgate.

As I have said before - I believe the ideal situation for the Pegula’s would be a downtown Stadium - near the Arena where visitors/opposing teams use their hotels and visit their restaurants and bring them more money, but I think they saw that OP would be cheaper and make things better for fans - so they divested some of those things and went with the OP route.

The people that should be mad are the non-fans that will have their money invested into this new stadium, but that was occurring either way.  The Bills fans whether local or outside the area should not be angry with the Pegula’s - even if in the end it becomes 80-100% publicly financed because the choice in OP was done strictly for the fans as it is the least logical choice based upon what the Pegula’s own and where and what would be most helpful to get additional funds to improve much needed infrastructure in the city.

They have the harbor center but I don't believe they have any more restaurants .. or any restaurants left open

They sold 716 ..and labatt brew house which is still closed ... bakery 55 idk...  the pegula daughters do own like a little homemade boutique healthy scratch  

But even if the stadium was downtown I don't know how many people you're getting to those three locations... The hotel would bring in a lot more money

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I never understand booing your team. That arena is miserable. It's been like that for a while. 

The Sabres have not had a 'big' game or a game that has meant anything for 10 years.  The life has been sucked out of the arena.  Not to mention, IMO the NHL product itself has gotten very boring.

The Pegulas have had a habit of hanging onto bad management/coaching well past the time it is clear they need to move on.  At this point, the booing really gets bad.  people are expressing displeasure with management.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

The Sabres of the past 10 years make the Bills' drought years appear like the Golden Years.

Its unreal to take a step back and litigate how poorly that franchise has been managed, especially in light of how it was in really good/decent shape when they took it over (on and off the ice).  All the team needed was a fresh Team President and replace the generally stale and past their expiration date GM and Coach, and they have made literally every wrong decision since.

Harbor Center is great, but it has been abandoned to a degree.  Much of their website is full of broken links.  There isnt much information on there (for instance, if you click on a tournament scheduled for a few weeks, a month, or the rest of the season for more info, it says that you should check back later for more information).  The Academy of Hockey has been completely abandoned or something.  716 is changing hands, the Labatt House hasnt opened since the pandemic, a lot of their stuff down there has been poorly managed.

Also, a lot of the bad press of generally draconian measures for an absolute bloodletting of Sabres employees apparently due to cost (who weren't replaced).  Timing it with the report that the morale at the organization was terrible and the employees were given a handout with the famous "preserving our lifestyle" nonsense.

Without them, it is likely the Bills would not be here anymore.  I get that.  I appreciate that and don't lose focus.  The Bills seem to be run completely different than the hockey team, but I also fear if/when we get our Linda Bogdan moment.

However, I understand people's frustration from this family when a report comes out that they want fully-public $1.5 billion to fund their stadium, along with thinly veiled 'threats' (although I haven't seen anything too concerning to me).  I personally havent complained because nothing concrete has come out of the negotiations at all (and I have been on board with the Orchard Park option).  I knew this step would be awkward due to the Pegula's unwavering commitment to Buffalo, but also wanting public money at this juncture.

As far as the Sabres go.  I went from watching probably 95-98% of all their games from about 1987 - 2013, to last season probably watching a combined full game.  I was a long-term season ticket holder who cancelled the day the general manager appeared to celebrate that things were great because the team 'was in a position to be in games'.  They have completely ruined the Sabres and the NHL for me.  I cannot take any pride in this organization at all.  

They've made pretty much all the wrong decisions, that's obvious. Does that make them bad owners? I'm not sure why they haven't gone out and hired some experienced NHL front office guy to fix the problems. They've brought players to Buffalo. They just can't figure out management and coaching. 

I do believe there will be a somewhat amicable deal for a stadium before too long, and hopefully the Bills have a nice stretch here and the Pegulas foster a sustainable franchise that competes.

I have heard from a decent source that the Sabres are for sale

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

They have the harbor center but I don't believe they have any more restaurants .. or any restaurants left

They sold 716 ..and labatt brew house which is still closed ...  the pegula daughters do own like a little homemade boutique healthy scratch but that's it I think

They've dumped a lot of money into the city and likely didn't see much of a return. Bad investments. 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

They have the harbor center but I don't believe they have any more restaurants .. or any restaurants

They sold 716 .. the pegula daughters do own like a little homemade boutique healthy scratch but that's it I think

That why I said they have been divesting themselves of these things.

I think years ago they were hoping to buy up and move things downtown, but over the last 3 years that has changed to the point they have been moving on from restaurants/bars around the arena downtown.

I think they saw the OP site as the future stadium site and then coupled with the pandemic- have moved on from that area.

5 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

The Sabres have not had a 'big' game or a game that has meant anything for 10 years.  The life has been sucked out of the arena.  Not to mention, IMO the NHL product itself has gotten very boring.

The Pegulas have had a habit of hanging onto bad management/coaching well past the time it is clear they need to move on.  At this point, the booing really gets bad.  people are expressing displeasure with management.  

The Pegulas have been battling local media since they arrived. Local media and fans were all over them for keeping Regier and Ruff after they just made the playoffs. 

Then the whole tank disaster happened which fans and most media supported. A 2-3 year stretch of losing to draft high. People talk about 10 years but when you dismantle everything just to lose for multiple years it's difficult to rebuild. There were no draft picks developing properly. Then when we drafted Eichel there was no organizational depth. 

No one wants to admit how much of a failure the tank was. Set the organization back. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

716 was terribly run 

Yes it was. Expensive also. 

5 minutes ago, nucci said:

the team is miserable. How can you not be pissed at this?

I am. I don't boo the team. 

9 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I do believe there will be a somewhat amicable deal for a stadium before too long, and hopefully the Bills have a nice stretch here and the Pegulas foster a sustainable franchise that competes.

I have heard from a decent source that the Sabres are for sale

I wouldn't be shocked. The Sabres will likely leave Buffalo if sold.