New NFL-NFLPA Covid protocols

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

This thread will not be allowed to become Beasley Thread Part Deux.

If you posted on here and your post was considered of general interest, but about Cole Beasley and his Twitter-fest, check the locked Beasley thread.

I may have moved it there.

Should this thread stay open to talk about the NFL/NFLPA covid protocols in general, or should it lock?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Should this thread stay open as a place to talk about NFL/NFLPA Covid protocols in general?

• Yes, keep it open, there are points to be discussed
    • No, lock its ass, people will just use it to go on about Cole Beasley's tweetfest

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How old are you, and what is your profession?

The NFL is a business.  Yes, the players are playing a game, but at the end of the day, their NFL contracts are how they feed, not just themselves and their kids and wives or girlfriends, but often parents - maybe 2 sets of parents - and siblngs.    Sometimes the relatives develop businesses under the player's guidance managing his endorsements or merchandise deals or investments (sometimes that's a bad idea for the player, but again, another issue). 

Take Isaiah McKenzie, a young guy at the bottom end of the NFL wage scale.  He just opened a BBQ restaurant with a partner and at least one of his other friends works there or manages it.  Isaiah, who is earning essentially veteran minimum, has $350,000 guaranteed on this year's deal.   It's probably a pretty safe bet that the restaurant was remodeled and its initial operating funds came from a loan secured by McKenzie's NFL paycheck.    So now that's not just his partner and friend but a whole payroll of other people who would be impacted by a decision to walk away.

The point is for most of these guys, it's not just "I am personally offended by the NFL's protocols and vaccination policy therefore I shall take my ball and go home" that their professional business decisions (such as a decision to retire) affect, it's a whole web of people.

Picking on 'Lil Dirty, needs to be realized that even a minimum-salary guy like Zay is lined up to take home money this year that puts him in the top 0.1% of the US population.  (Not 1%, 0.1%).

A guy like Davis Webb, who spent most of the year on the practice squad and was active for one game at vet minimum, probably earned over $190,000 last season - which puts him in the top 11% of US household incomes.

I'm gonna guess that's not you.

Well-said on the $$

a 50,000 salary for 25 years is 1.25 million dollars, or about 3 years salary for a fringe roster guy in the NFL. By age 25 or 26 a mid round draft pick will have earned as much or more than most Americans earn in their lifetimes. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I can’t wrap my head around how these dudes are playing one of the most dangerous sports in which they can suffer from a horrific or chronic injury at any point during a game, but then are scared of the highly improbable negative effect from a vaccine (not including fever/chills).

I also don't want to hear the "These guys treat their bodies like temples and dont want to put foreign substances in them", when ALL of the players would jump on whatever new, untested, non-FDA regulated "supplement" comes out that mirrors anything like steroids (which they already know are bad).

Remember when Androstenedione hit the market back in 1998? A completely untested, unregulated supplement that acted like a lite anabolic steroid. No one knew what was really in it. Yet almost every baseball, football, and hockey player immediately started taking it.

Nevermind the fact that players constantly get hit with PED suspensions.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How old are you, and what is your profession?

The NFL is a business.  Yes, the players are playing a game, but at the end of the day, their NFL contracts are how they feed, not just themselves and their kids and wives or girlfriends, but often parents - maybe 2 sets of parents - and siblngs.    Sometimes the relatives develop businesses under the player's guidance managing his endorsements or merchandise deals or investments (sometimes that's a bad idea for the player, but again, another issue). 

Take Isaiah McKenzie, a young guy at the bottom end of the NFL wage scale.  He just opened a BBQ restaurant with a partner and at least one of his other friends works there or manages it.  Isaiah, who is earning essentially veteran minimum, has $350,000 guaranteed on this year's deal.   It's probably a pretty safe bet that the restaurant was remodeled and its initial operating funds came from a loan secured by McKenzie's NFL paycheck.    So now that's not just his partner and friend but a whole payroll of other people who would be impacted by a decision to walk away.

The point is for most of these guys, it's not just "I am personally offended by the NFL's protocols and vaccination policy therefore I shall take my ball and go home" that their professional business decisions (such as a decision to retire) affect, it's a whole web of people.

Picking on 'Lil Dirty, needs to be realized that even a minimum-salary guy like Zay is lined up to take home money this year that puts him in the top 0.1% of the US population.  (Not 1%, 0.1%).

A guy like Davis Webb, who spent most of the year on the practice squad and was active for one game at vet minimum, probably earned over $190,000 last season - which puts him in the top 11% of US household incomes.

I'm gonna guess that's not you.

First off, I love how people talk about how "this is how these guys feed their families". You don't need to be a millionaire sports player to feed your family. These guys all came in from college. They have degrees. They can get great jobs with them. Even if they made $100,000 a year they could feed their family just fine. People who make 50,000 a year can feed a family. Secondly, I was moreso speaking from the aspect of a player that has already made his money and is set for life. I personally would retire and be free

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

First off, I love how people talk about how "this is how these guys feed their families". You don't need to be a millionaire sports player to feed your family. These guys all came in from college. They have degrees. They can get great jobs with them. Even if they made $100,000 a year they could feed their family just fine. People who make 50,000 a year can feed a family. Secondly, I was moreso speaking from the aspect of a player that has already made his money and is set for life. I personally would retire and be free

I pointed out that a lot of these guys aren't just feeding what most of us think of as family (couple and kids), they are buying houses and annuities for their parents, supporting siblings either directly or indirectly, maybe underwriting a business that has a whole payroll of people working for it.

Good luck continuing that on $50,000 a year.

If you're speaking of players who have made their money and are set for life....there are two aspects.

1) Those guys are relatively few vs. most of the roster

2) If you were, someday, to find yourself making that kind of money, you might find that your priorities shift and it's harder than you think now to walk away from an extra $6M or $10M.   The best of these guys have financial plans, that don't account for them paying back their amortized bonus money and walking away suddenly.

As the paycheck blossoms, the lifestyle blossoms - sure, you could sell your house on the waterfront in Miami and your Lamborghini and your country club memberships, take your kids out of the private school patronized by the affluent, travel on SWA instead of by private jet, and drive your Honda CRV to the 4 BR, 2 bath tract ranch where the people who make $50k/yr live.

Yeah, there are a few Orlando Pace-class players who invested their money properly, started profitable businesses, and are still living the Good Life after their playing days are done. 

But again, those guys are relatively few vs. most of the roster, and none of them retired and handed back their bonus money suddenly (see Wood, Eric)

PS A lot of NFL players didn't actually finish their college degrees.  Most of those that did, majored in stuff like "communication" or "general studies" where the job market and starting salary for a guy with no experience may not be as Luxe as you think.   "Even if they made $100,000 a year" LOL the starting salary for a "communication" or "general studies" major more likely $43-$45k.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I pointed out that a lot of these guys aren't just feeding what most of us think of as family (couple and kids), they are buying houses and annuities for their parents, supporting siblings either directly or indirectly, maybe underwriting a business that has a whole payroll of people working for it.

Good luck continuing that on $50,000 a year.

If you're speaking of players who have made their money and are set for life....there are two aspects.

1) Those guys are relatively few vs. most of the roster

2) If you were, someday, to find yourself making that kind of money, you might find that your priorities shift and it's harder than you think now to walk away from an extra $6M or $10M.   The best of these guys have financial plans, that don't account for them paying back their amortized bonus money and walking away suddenly.

As the paycheck blossoms, the lifestyle blossoms - sure, you could sell your house on the waterfront in Miami and your Lamborghini and your country club memberships, take your kids out of the private school patronized by the affluent, travel on SWA instead of by private jet, and drive your Honda CRV to the 4 BR, 2 bath tract ranch where the people who make $50k/yr live.

Yeah, there are a few Orlando Pace-class players who invested their money properly, started profitable businesses, and are still living the Good Life after their playing days are done. 

But again, those guys are relatively few vs. most of the roster, and none of them retired and handed back their bonus money suddenly (see Wood, Eric)

PS A lot of NFL players didn't actually finish their college degrees.  Most of those that did, majored in stuff like "communication" or "general studies" where the job market and starting salary for a guy with no experience may not be as Luxe as you think. 

The number of actual players who have retired this year due to having COVID protocols/vaccinations pushed on them is ZERO.

And neither would Buffalo03 if it really came down to it.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Process said:

Cole is going off on twitter again.. comparing covid to the flu. 

I love football. I love the Bills. But sometimes it hits you that wow, I'm spending all this time and energy rooting for a bunch of guys, in same cases kids, who have half a brain and are making millions of dollars to play a game. And it's kind of embarrassing. 

Cole is clearly not very bright, but lucky for some of these guys, they are not getting paid for their brains. 

Cole’s current issue is more with the players’ union than anything else - seems he wanted a vote before the league and union agreed to the separate protocols. (Yes I know he has other issues re the vaccine.)

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

The number of actual players who have retired this year due to having COVID protocols/vaccinations pushed on them is ZERO.

And neither would Buffalo03 if it really came down to it.

Well....Zero as yet.  The pre-season is young yet 😜.

But I think it's safe to predict that number will be very small.

The number of players who actually opted-out of the 2020 NFL season was 67.  I think it's notable that most of the players who opted out and took the $150,000 were kind of fringe, end of career players like EJ Gaines who otherwise may well have been cut and gone home with a $25k signing bonus.

And there ain't no 6 figure stipend for retiring.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Cole’s current issue is more with the players’ union than anything else - seems he wanted a vote before the league and union agreed to the separate protocols. (Yes I know he has other issues re the vaccine.)

It’s hard to really understand where he’s coming from. I can understand if the NFLPA did this without asking anyone or getting a sense of what the majority of players wanted.  But maybe they did and maybe the majority of NFLPA members are ok with these rules? 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Process said:

I love football. I love the Bills. But sometimes it hits you that wow, I'm spending all this time and energy rooting for a bunch of guys, in same cases kids, who have half a brain and are making millions of dollars to play a game. And it's kind of embarrassing. 

Cole is clearly not very bright, but lucky for some of these guys, they are not getting paid for their brains. 

We have a lot of WRs. Just saying in case things get to the stupid zone.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

It’s hard to really understand where he’s coming from. I can understand if the NFLPA did this without asking anyone or getting a sense of what the majority of players wanted.  But maybe they did and maybe the majority of NFLPA members are ok with these rules? 

I agree. The union has leadership elected by the players to negotiate and enact stuff like this with the league. He shouldn’t be complaining publicly about the lack of a full referendum on this, but he is of course.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Process said:

He has a right to his opinion (which is far from unique btw) and it is not a referendum on his intelligence. His stance should be choose to not get the vaccine will make his life more difficult as an nfl player but it’s his choice. His choice has consequences. 

6 minutes ago, Process said:

A couple weeks ago Beasley was defending the decision to not get vaxxed as individual choice, on the grounds if I'm vaccinated he can't affect me (which of course isn't true:

Now he's upset about the vaccinated/unvaccinated protocols because people who are vaccinated aren't 100% immune and could infect him:

I guess it shows his understanding is evolving, perhaps due to the educational materials provided to the players, which would be a Good Thing(tm)?

I think he's asking valid questions that should be answered for him by the league and the NFLPA.  He's concerned that he can't protect himself as well under these protocols due to vaccinated teammates actions - a little ironic given his previous exchange, but a perfectly understandable concern, which should have an answer if phrased as a question.  I have some questions about the details of the new protocols myself.

He should call the NFLPA and ask, or ask whoever it is on the Buffalo Bills that's coordinating the Covid program to explain the rationale.  The Bills should have a player rep who should be able to help him find the right person.  Whoever on the NFLPA signed off on the protocols should be accountable to the players they represent, and should make themselves available to discuss the scientific basis for each protocol decision.

I don't think his complaints show he's not very bright.  Well, OK:

He should know, or be able to find out, who his Bills NFLPA representatives, are, right, and be able to reach out and talk to them?  He shouldn't have to resort to a cry from the heart on Twitter?

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

A couple weeks ago Beasley was defending the decision to not get vaxxed as individual choice, on the grounds if I'm vaccinated he can't affect me (which of course isn't true:

Now he's upset about the vaccinated/unvaccinated protocols because people who are vaccinated aren't 100% immune and could infect him:

I guess it shows his understanding is evolving, perhaps due to the educational materials provided to the players, which would be a Good Thing(tm)?

I think he's asking valid questions that should be answered for him by the league and the NFLPA.  He's concerned that he can't protect himself as well under these protocols due to vaccinated teammates actions - a little ironic given his previous exchange, but a perfectly understandable concern, which should have an answer if phrased as a question.  I have some questions about the details of the new protocols myself.

He should call the NFLPA and ask, or ask whoever it is on the Buffalo Bills that's coordinating the Covid program to explain the rationale.  The Bills should have a player rep who should be able to help him find the right person.  Whoever on the NFLPA signed off on the protocols should be accountable to the players they represent, and should make themselves available to discuss the scientific basis for each protocol decision.

He should know, or be able to find out, who his Bills NFLPA representatives, are, right, and be able to reach out and talk to them?  He shouldn't have to resort to a cry from the heart on Twitter?

Edited by Process
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Who is the Bills rep? 

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"That's why I'm on here"?!? Because everything gets solved on Twitter? That's his best place to go?

5 minutes ago, Process said:

Ah yeah, see, he has no real intention of "getting things right". He just wants to be contrarian so he feels smarter.

Dude was annoying on the Cowboys All or Nothing. Still a dumb little punk now.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1