New NFL-NFLPA Covid protocols

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

This thread will not be allowed to become Beasley Thread Part Deux.

If you posted on here and your post was considered of general interest, but about Cole Beasley and his Twitter-fest, check the locked Beasley thread.

I may have moved it there.

Should this thread stay open to talk about the NFL/NFLPA covid protocols in general, or should it lock?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Should this thread stay open as a place to talk about NFL/NFLPA Covid protocols in general?

• Yes, keep it open, there are points to be discussed
    • No, lock its ass, people will just use it to go on about Cole Beasley's tweetfest

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Sounds like what Titans players did getting around rules.  

Comp pick for Bucs?

Somehow, the Patriots* get a 5th rounder. It’s buried in the rulebook somewhere.....  🤷‍♂️

All part of the plan. 

• Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Looks exactly like our new protocol that got released today. 

Leagues must be copying and pasting from each other. 

LOL I suspect it's more their health advisors are pulling info from the same studies/CDC advice (or maybe they have the same advisors)

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Nobody forces anyone to get up and go to work everyday.. it's a choice we all make, just like this.

The NFL/NFLPA are apparently going to make it extremely enticing to get the shot, and extremely inconvenient to not get it.  But it's still a choice. 

Completely agree. I suspect the NFL and  “carrot dangling” will not work on players in the NFL that have already made up

their mind and choice to not take the vaccine… only time will tell. September will be very telling. 

32 minutes ago, wppete said:

Completely agree. I suspect the NFL and  “carrot dangling” will not work on players in the NFL that have already made up

their mind and choice to not take the vaccine… only time will tell. September will be very telling. 

I'm sure you're right.  My guess is a lot of players don't feel that strongly and the "carrot" will influence them - by dangling the "carrot" of similar protocol choices, Cornell got 14,999 students to roll up their sleeves in 7 weeks, for example.

But, there will most certainly be players who feel very strongly and nothing will change them, and I think they should have that right.  Then they have a set of protocols to follow. 

The question is how many will fall into each group, and will there be any fall out (such as key players who wind up having to quarantine and miss games). 🤷‍♂️ 

Just as a for-instance, if we're playing KC and publically-known-to-be-vaccinated Mahomes and (hypothetically) not vaccinated Allen are both exposed to a positive tested individual.   KC gets their QB and we play with a backup (assuming at least one is vaccinated or not exposed).  Big disavantage: Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm sure you're right.  My guess is a lot of players don't feel that strongly and the "carrot" will influence them - by dangling the "carrot" of similar protocol choices, Cornell got 14,999 students to roll up their sleeves in 7 weeks, for example.

But, there will most certainly be players who feel very strongly and nothing will change them, and I think they should have that right.  Then they have a set of protocols to follow. 

The question is how many will fall into each group, and will there be any fall out (such as key players who wind up having to quarantine and miss games). 🤷‍♂️ 

Just as a for-instance, if we're playing KC and publically-known-to-be-vaccinated Mahomes and (hypothetically) not vaccinated Allen are both exposed to a positive tested individual.   KC gets their QB and we play with a backup (assuming at least one is vaccinated or not exposed).  Big disavantage: Bills.

Well tine will tell. Very curious to see how the Bills choose to handle this… Also we should learn if this report from Rico and the Buffalo Fanatics is true very soon. He does have a close relationship with players that are on his show often, he is a credible and reliable reporter.  Should be interesting, as of right now only the team knows. 

Edited by wppete
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, wppete said:

Well tine will tell. Very curious to see how the Bills choose to handle this… Also we should learn if this report from Rico and the Buffalo Fanatics is true very soon. He does have a close relationship with players that are on his show often, he is a credible and reliable reporter.  Should be interesting, as of right now only the team knows. 

I hope it’s not true, but I wouldn’t be shocked.

• Agree 1

Welp, Then. 

image.thumb.png.d99d0b1bfb48e5479b0f54408bb55b4d.png

No word on which 4 teams or which coaches this affects that I've seen.

(And please - let's not bring up the constitution and Mah Freedoms!  Familiarize yourself with the contents of this report from the Congressional Research Service  and this ruling from EEOC before you speak.  Then go over to PPP to show your chops at opining on employment, Amendment 10, supreme court precedent such as Jacobson v. Massachusetts etc.)

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/27/2021 at 5:59 PM, ColeB said:

Remember when Bruce Smith refused to get a flu shot, got the flu and missed a playoff game.  Not quite as impactful but still selfish and irresponsible.

And that was a playoff game against Pittsburgh. We lost.

On 5/28/2021 at 12:23 PM, wppete said:

Maybe I'm very naive, but I find this hard to be true when 62% of the adult population has had at least one shot. Then again, they are in the demographic of the lowest percentage. But just based on my anecdotal observations, I just can't believe it's this low. Again, maybe I'm naive?

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Welp, Then. 

image.thumb.png.d99d0b1bfb48e5479b0f54408bb55b4d.png

No word on which 4 teams or which coaches this affects that I've seen.

(And please - let's not bring up the constitution and Mah Freedoms!  Familiarize yourself with the contents of this report from the Congressional Research Service  and this ruling from EEOC before you speak.  Then go over to PPP to show your chops at opining on employment, Amendment 10, supreme court precedent such as Jacobson v. Massachusetts etc.)

Thank you very much. I and many others on here who have talked about it find it very interesting how you can’t  Move on. Give it up. You are the main guy on this forum that can’t give up this topic but yet the one who curates the conversation. The irony. Let’s stick to football 🏈

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stealth_edit

Edited by wppete
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

21 minutes ago, wppete said:

Thank you very much. I and many others on here who have talked about it find it very I interesting how you can’t  Move on. Give it up. You are the main guy on this forum that can’t give up this topic but yet the one you curates the conversation. The irony. Let’s stick to football 🏈

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stealth_edit

I get it, you don’t find this to be football.  And yet, it impacts football directly if coaches and trainers are being told by the NFL get vaccinated or spend the season coaching from your office (unless you’re in progress or have an exemption)

If you don’t want to discuss it personally, the thread is clearly labeled as to the content, so why are you here? Irony back atcha.

Seems like it must not be about what you personally want to discuss, but about you personally deciding  what is or isn’t football relevant to communicate or discuss, even when it’s NFL policy with a direct impact on teams operations!!!!!!

(PS speak for yourself, k?  The “others support me in email” thing grew ear hairs back in the day of AOL and modems)

• Like (+1) 6

• 2 weeks later...

The question in my mind, are there strong enough convictions with some of these players that we may see some antivaxers (no insult meant at all) threaten to retire?  Crazy to think, but so was imagining what our world would resemble beyond 2019.  

just a thought though...

Edited by Frat-Train

On 5/28/2021 at 8:28 AM, wppete said:

Some people's laziness is going to win out over their hesitancy over the vaccine. I imagine that as we head into September that some players will get sick of these restrictions and just take the vaccine to avoid the daily testing and mask mandates amongst other restrictions. Some people are just head strong against the vaccine (mostly for dubious reasons in my opinion) and will hold out but I imagine that some will cave into the inconvenience. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Frat-Train said:

The question in my mind, are there strong enough convictions with some of these players that we may see some antivaxers (no insult meant at all) threaten to retire?  Crazy to think, but so was imagining what our world would resemble beyond 2019.  

just a thought though...

Why would they "retire" and face giving back millions of dollars of amortized signing bonus not to mention potential future earnings? 

Basically, the protocols unvaccinated players follow are just what they dealt with last year, and few players opted out, can't think of any who retired.  So if someone has strong convictions, they can just shrug and say "OK, I lived this way last year".

I'll be honest though, I don't see how the different rules can help but become a distraction if the clubs actually enforce the different rules.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why would they "retire" and face giving back millions of dollars of amortized signing bonus not to mention potential future earnings? 

Basically, the protocols unvaccinated players follow are just what they dealt with last year, and few players opted out, can't think of any who retired.  So if someone has strong convictions, they can just shrug and say "OK, I lived this way last year".

I'll be honest though, I don't see how the different rules can help but become a distraction if the clubs actually enforce the different rules.

The difference is that the 30-40% of players that are unvaccinated are going to see the other 60-70% of players who are vaccinated enjoying having a mostly normal season. That might get a good chunk of the 30-40% of players who are hesitant against the vaccine to just cave into the inconvenience. Yes some people are just going to hold out no matter what but I suspect that the vaccination rate among players is going to end up in the 80% range by October. 

• Agree 1

On 5/27/2021 at 12:21 PM, Gugny said:

I think the NFL and NFLPA have gone about this the right way and I applaud their collaboration and the practical outcome.  

On 5/27/2021 at 12:56 PM, Captain Caveman said:

There's a first time for everything, right?  It almost gives one hope for humanity's future.  (JK I'm not that naive.)

It's sad you have to incentivize common sense. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The difference is that the 30-40% of players that are unvaccinated are going to see the other 60-70% of players who are vaccinated enjoying having a mostly normal season. That might get a good chunk of the 30-40% of players who are hesitant against the vaccine to just cave into the inconvenience. Yes some people are just going to hold out no matter what but I suspect that the vaccination rate among players is going to end up in the 80% range by October. 

Which is the exact reason they are making the rules the way they are.

Harsh rules “to protect you” if you are not vaccinated and lax rules if you are.  We are not mandating that you must get vaccinated, but your life will return to normal sooner if you do.

Everything will be fine until the first Tennessee style outbreak on a team with fewer vaccinated folks and a lack of available PS players to call up.  Once it costs a team a game or two - then stuff gets real.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1