Etienne thought he was going to be a Bill

DJB

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

But that's because a player's college or state don't have any measurable impact on their ability to perform in the NFL, usually (although there have been specific college programs, such as Mack Brown's Texas teams, that were universally bad at prepping players for being professionals).  Whereas investing a premium pick on a non-premium position such as RB is a terrible cap management strategy for the many reasons already cited upthread.  Your BEST CASE scenario is that ETN performs like CMC and (i) takes the ball out of Allen's hands; and (ii) requires a $15M/yr contract.  Neither of those things are good for wins and losses.  You pay a running back premium $$ you then have to justify it by tailoring your offense around him and that hasn't worked in the modern NFL. 

Already addressed. Never argued to do either of those things. Again, read the thread. Or maybe reply to someone else who DID actually argue those things.

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Already addressed. Never argued to do either of those things. Again, read the thread. Or maybe reply to someone else who DID actually argue those things.

I read the thread.  Your argument was "well then you can just let him go sign elsewhere because you've already won your Lombardi."  THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED.  It's one thing to discount previous examples as independent events - it's another thing to assert, without any support other than your gut instinct, that ETN is going to represent a statistical outlier the likes of which the NFL has never seen.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

You did, but then you argued that previous results have no bearing on the future.  And I don't see how the two positions square with each other.

Because I was never arguing what was being projected onto my posts. And clarified I was not thinking ETN would be a savior or someone who carries the team. Simply better than Moss and Singletary. If he performs as well as almost ANY of the numerous 1st round RBs, then we improve. Marshawn Lynch, Gurley, Fournette, etc.

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I read the thread.  Your argument was "well then you can just let him go sign elsewhere because you've already won your Lombardi."  THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED.

What part has never happened? What are you saying is totally impossible from ever occurring?

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I read the thread.  Your argument was "well then you can just let him go sign elsewhere because you've already won your Lombardi."  THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED.  It's one thing to discount previous examples as independent events - it's another thing to assert, without any support other than your gut instinct, that ETN is going to represent a statistical outlier the likes of which the NFL has never seen.

Where are you even coming up with this BS?

THIS is why I dipped out of the conversation. Folks want to project all sorts of crazy stuff onto my posts, just because I said "I think he could be better than Moss and Singletary, and therefore help improve the offense".

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Because I was never arguing what was being projected onto my posts. And clarified I was not thinking ETN would be a savior or someone who carries the team. Simply better than Moss and Singletary. If he performs as well as almost ANY of the numerous 1st round RBs, then we improve. Marshawn Lynch, Gurley, Fournette, etc.

What part has never happened? What are you saying is totally impossible from ever occurring?

And again: Lynch and Fornette did nothing to improve the win-loss records of the teams that actually drafted them (as we sadly found out).  Gurley?  Did his best years help the Jeff Fisher regime get past .500?

Can you name an example of a first-round running back who played so well he got his team over the Super Bowl hump during his rookie contract and was then left to sign elsewhere for his second deal?

26 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

And again: Lynch and Fornette did nothing to improve the win-loss records of the teams that actually drafted them (as we sadly found out).  Gurley?  Did his best years help the Jeff Fisher regime get past .500?

Can you name an example of a first-round running back who played so well he got his team over the Super Bowl hump during his rookie contract and was then left to sign elsewhere for his second deal?

This is a ridiculous ask when all I'm asserting is he could be better than Moss and Singletary and therefore would help improve the offense.

23 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is a ridiculous ask when all I'm asserting is he could be better than Moss and Singletary and therefore would help improve the offense.

And "help improve the offense" is not enough justification for a first round pick when you factor in opportunity cost, salary cap, replaceability, etc.

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Well your best argument would be Joseph Addai.  Why don't you make that argument instead of the arms-crossed "you can't change my mind with facts" position.

Because I'm not trying to bang it into anyone's head, or convince anyone I'm "right", regarding my opinion on a hypothetical draft scenario. It doesnt matter that much. And as I said right away, I only half believe in this, but was kicking it around for the sake of offseason conversation.

I only came back because I made two innocuous posts that for some reason prompted Badol to start quoting and tagging me in posts, and misrepresenting what I said, and conflating my statement with a bunch of others.

Y'all are being real silly about it.

• 6 months later...
On 5/23/2021 at 9:42 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

Like his mentor Dave Gettleman.......big uglies and RB's are probably too high on Beane's personal list.

I'm not picking on you, but this statement got a chuckle out of me after watching the way this season played out regardless who wrote it.

More big uglies and RBs please!

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

On 5/22/2021 at 5:50 PM, Process said:

We saw in the Bills Embedded video we were trying to move up in the first. We'll probably never know who it was for and that's probably for the best. If Beane was trying to trade up for a RB I'd rather not know about it. 

Even after what we have experienced in our run game this year? I don't know who the top RBs are coming out next year and typically I wouldn't trade up for one either but next year I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing the top guy if it means a trade up but only if we're talking like a Saquon, Elliot or McCaffery type player. Not sure there's a RB in next year's draft like that or not 

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

Really wish Beane would stop trading up. The draft is a crapshoot, the more capital you have, the better. Quit burning early picks.

Ehh, when you have 10 picks and only 5-6 truly open roster spots, those late picks arent worth much.

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

Dear Ryan Talbot and OP,

Is there a point to this? If not, what is so interesting about this?

The thread is from May. I bumped it to see how much opinions have changed on having a high-pick RB after what we've seen fro our 3rd round turds.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm not picking on you, but this statement got a chuckle out of me after watching the way this season played out regardless who wrote it.

More big uglies and RBs please!

What's to pick on?

Beane could only pick 3 lineman in the first 3 rounds of the 2021 draft because he only had 1 pick in each round.........and in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the previous two drafts he took 2 RB's and a really lousy offensive guard.

They've also spent A LOT in free agency and re-signs on both lines.    I think they had the highest amount of cap space dedicated to the offensive line in the NFL in 2020 and the most to the DL in 2021.

It's not for lack of investment that they aren't very good at the LOS or productive enough at RB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

Rousseau, no.

WR Elijah Moore over Rosseau all day, every day.

Gregory R. is going to be a force......Elijah Moore is a undersized WR that will probably be hurt most of his career AND we were already stacked at WR and still are.

In the second round? Every passing DNP Boogie is looking like the wrong call

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/26/2021 at 3:00 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

I feel like singletary is a bit underrated around these parts at least running the football…this guy has had some real tough runs without many holes to speak of. 

1 minute ago, FFadpecr said:

WR is a huge weakness for the Bills. Josh makes all the WRs look better than they truly are. But WR is a weak spot on the team.

And now Sanders is week2week.

I think we were better without sanders tbh…he’s a good player and an upgrade from John brown but gabe Davis seems to consistently make big plays when he’s on the field 

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If Beane grabs Humphrey there, it's an entirely different season and discussion.

I wasn't a fan of the Basham pick...........but I also don't know what kind of guard Humphrey would have made.   

He's been a center forever........if you plug Humphrey in at center then Morse is off the field.    He can't play guard.   Not physical enough.   

So you likely still end up Boettger, Williams and Ford at the guards around a rookie center deploying an outside zone attack.........which probably still sucks.

Beane has tied himself up in knots with numbers.    

Example:  he traded Wyatt Teller because they got to camp and realized that Mr. "we need a tackle" Cody Ford was a shaky RT and might have to play guard.    So they kept Boettger because he had worked hard to train as a backup at every position.    Boettger has never played anything other than guard since. :doh:

On the plus side.......we saw some old Greg Roman style inside zone running last night and suddenly the run blocking didn't look so bad.

As bad as the OL has been this year............the coaching and techniques chosen have been just as bad.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.