Saints rumored to be trying to trade into top 10 for DB

Virgil

Could really shake things up.  If Detroit is really doing a rebuild, the plethora of picks would be good for them.  Everyone else probably won’t want to drop back that far. 

I don’t like what this would do for our chances to get a top 3 DB

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

Could really shake things up.  If Detroit is really doing a rebuild, the plethora of picks would be good for them.  Everyone else probably won’t want to drop back that far. 

I don’t like what this would do for our chances to get a top 3 DB

Looks like the Eagles are trying to do the same thing.

CB likely won’t be an option for us.

• Like (+1) 1

When I was mock GM of the Saints in the TSW Mock Draft I felt the opposite approach best served the roster.  I think the Saints need as many good young players on rookie deals as possible to begin to bring balance back to payroll.

I would be surprised if Mickey Loomis continued to push the envelope by giving draft capital for a high pick salary.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LEBills said:

They want to bring Joe’s kid back home

Not likely.  Joe’s the guy who knocked up Willie Roaf’s wife causing Roaf to leave town.  Roaf might be the best Saints player of all time pre-Brees.

Edited by Billl

1 minute ago, McBean said:

Trading up for CB definitely insures they will win a SB next year. 

says nobody ever.

WTF is wrong with these GM’s.

Agreed.   Unless the guy is a once in a lifetime cant miss prospect (there are none) or a Quarterback, there is no reason to trade up that far.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, mannc said:

If they can't, I wonder if they'll roll the dice on Farley...Injuries aside, he's right up their alley... 

And they are following the Patriots "eat it all in one year, take the pain" approach from 2020. So 2021 is almost a dead year anyway for them and if Farley doesn't get on the field until 2022 the Saints are probably the team in the league who could most afford to live with that. 

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

They should be trying to move up for a QB.

How do we know they are not? If they were they'd hardly be telling people. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

Agreed.   Unless the guy is a once in a lifetime cant miss prospect (there are none) or a Quarterback, there is no reason to trade up that far.

So nobody should ever draft a player top 10 that isn’t a QB?  That makes no sense.  Drafting a player at your slot in the top 10 is the same price as trading up for a player in the top 10.  Trades are roughly equal in terms of draft capital value.  It’s like saying $100 is a reasonable price for something if you have a $100 bill, but paying with a $50, 2 $20s, and a $10 is too expensive.

• Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'm going off of the report of them trying to trade up for a CB. 

Yea it wasn't a dig at you Doc but the media presuming they know.... I mean maybe they do... but if you were the Saints wanting to get into the top 10 for a Quarterback wouldn't you like the world to think you were trying to get up for a corner? 

Probably looking to package their 1st and 2nd along with a future 1st or 2nd and 3rd. If I were Dallas or another team in the top 10 I would gladly take picks 28, 60, NOLA's 2021 1st and 98 in exchange for pick 10 and 115. Dallas's needs are all over the place on defense and while Horn or Surtain could help greatly. In the NFL on defense you are usually better off going to quantity over quality for most positions besides a pass rusher. You could really rebuild a defense with picks 28, 44, 60, 75 and 98 while also filling an offensive need or two. All while pocketing a future first. 

I don't know if NOLA will want to mortgage the farm like that giving up a 2nd, future first and a pick swap but if you can get a team to over pay why not?

Just now, Billl said:

So nobody should ever draft a player top 10 that isn’t a QB?  That makes no sense.  Drafting a player at your slot in the top 10 is the same price as trading up for a player in the top 10.  Trades are roughly equal in terms of draft capital value.  It’s like saying $100 is a reasonable price for something if you have a $100 bill, but paying with a $50, 2 $20s, and a $10 is too expensive.

No, what I said is no one should trade up into the top ten to draft anyone other than a cant miss prospect (there are none) or a QB.  Trading up into the top ten, is a lot different than sitting at 10 and picking a player.    Your logic is flawed in two instances, first not all positions are equal in football, and secondly trading up isnt the same as using the same amount of money in different denominations.  Trading up, especially for player who isnt a QB, is like paying the same amount for two different lottery tickets where the potential payback on one is significantly lower than the potential on the other. 

Using your money analogy, and applying it to moving up: trading up into the top ten to draft say a CB  is like paying $200 dollars for a lottery ticket that may yield $450 dollars.  Trading up into the top ten to draft a QB is like paying $200 for a lottery ticket that may yield you $5,000 dollars long term.     Bottom line for the Saints to get up to ten they will most likely have to give up their first this year, 1st next year, and possibly a player.    For a team thats planning on rolling out either Taysom Hill or Picks McGee at Quarterback that makes absolutely no sense.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea it wasn't a dig at you Doc but the media presuming they know.... I mean maybe they do... but if you were the Saints wanting to get into the top 10 for a Quarterback wouldn't you like the world to think you were trying to get up for a corner? 

Maybe they know, maybe they don't.  I have no idea.  Again going off the report and nothing else.

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

No, what I said is no one should trade up into the top ten to draft anyone other than a cant miss prospect (there are none) or a QB.  Trading up into the top ten, is a lot different than sitting at 10 and picking a player.    Your logic is flawed in two instances, first not all positions are equal in football, and secondly trading up isnt the same as using the same amount of money in different denominations.  Trading up, especially for player who isnt a QB, is like paying the same amount for two different lottery tickets where the potential payback on one is significantly lower than the potential on the other. 

Using your money analogy, and applying it to moving up: trading up into the top ten to draft say a CB  is like paying $200 dollars for a lottery ticket that may yield $450 dollars.  Trading up into the top ten to draft a QB is like paying $200 for a lottery ticket that may yield you $5,000 dollars long term.     Bottom line for the Saints to get up to ten they will most likely have to give up their first this year, 1st next year, and possibly a player.    For a team thats planning on rolling out either Taysom Hill or Picks McGee at Quarterback that makes absolutely no sense.

Well there aren’t 10 QBs worthy of top 10 picks in a draft, so most teams picking there are drafting some other position.  Presumably a terrible team slotted in the top 10 that isn’t targeting a QB has more holes to fill than a good team that might be a player or 2 away from competing for a Super Bowl.  

I’d argue that the Bills don’t need 7 players ranging from late first round to late 7th round in value nearly as much as they need a superstar who can make a difference.  Given what you’ve said above, the good teams are better equipped to absorb the risk that comes with missing on a high pick whereas the poor teams can’t afford to play the lottery.  They still need groceries.

Bad teams with solid QBs should be looking to add as many good players as possible to become competitive whereas good teams should be looking for one or two players who can be plugged in to put them over the top.  The Bills would be better off with Chase Young than their entire 2020 and 2021 draft classes.  They could possibly be the defending champs.  Guys like Epenesa and Moss are roster filler compared to the Bosas, Watts, etc.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

Well there aren’t 10 QBs worthy of top 10 picks in a draft, so most teams picking there are drafting some other position.  Presumably a terrible team slotted in the top 10 that isn’t targeting a QB has more holes to fill than a good team that might be a player or 2 away from competing for a Super Bowl.  

I’d argue that the Bills don’t need 7 players ranging from late first round to late 7th round in value nearly as much as they need a superstar who can make a difference.  Given what you’ve said above, the good teams are better equipped to absorb the risk that comes with missing on a high pick whereas the poor teams can’t afford to play the lottery.  They still need groceries.

Bad teams with solid QBs should be looking to add as many good players as possible to become competitive whereas good teams should be looking for one or two players who can be plugged in to put them over the top.  The Bills would be better off with Chase Young than their entire 2020 and 2021 draft classes.  They could possibly be the defending champs.  Guys like Epenesa and Moss are roster filler compared to the Bosas, Watts, etc.

Agree. You win Superbowls with stars. You need 5 or 6 normally on a Superbowl winning team who are difference makers. The Bills have 3 and you could make an argument that at his best Dion Dawkins is close, he was certainly a top 10 left tackle last year. They need a couple more. They don't need another 7 solid depth players. Trading up and taking swings on high ceiling guys with maybe injury or behavioural red flags or lacking production at the collegiate level is what it should be about for Buffalo. It's why even though Jayson Oweh is as far from my idea of a guy to pick at #30 as it is possible to be I could understand them taking that swing because I see the ceiling. My worry is I can't even see the floor because it is so low. 

• Like (+1) 1