Saints rumored to be trying to trade into top 10 for DB

Virgil

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. You win Superbowls with stars. You need 5 or 6 normally on a Superbowl winning team who are difference makers. The Bills have 3 and you could make an argument that at his best Dion Dawkins is close, he was certainly a top 10 left tackle last year. They need a couple more. They don't need another 7 solid depth players. Trading up and taking swings on high ceiling guys with maybe injury or behavioural red flags or lacking production at the collegiate level is what it should be about for Buffalo. It's why even though Jayson Oweh is as far from my idea of a guy to pick at #30 as it is possible to be I could understand them taking that swing because I see the ceiling. My worry is I can't even see the floor because it is so low. 

Oweh is an interesting test case.  If you think sacks are what matter most, his 2020 season was a huge red flag.  If you believe that sacks are a numbers game and that what really matters is pressures, he’s your guy.  I lean towards the latter of the two.  He showed in 2019 that he can sack the QB.  Last year he had a TON of pressures, but he didn’t cash in any of them with sacks.  I’m willing to chalk most of that up to being a fluke associated with a small sample size, but I can understand why some people want nothing to do with him.  

I actually think he’s the perfect player to take at 30 because of his upside.  All prospects have warts when you get towards the end of the first round.  Oweh is the kind of guy you could look back on in a few years and say “thank God he didn’t get any sacks during the shortened season or he’d have gone top 10 and we’d never have had a chance at him.

1 minute ago, Billl said:

Oweh is an interesting test case.  If you think sacks are what matter most, his 2020 season was a huge red flag.  If you believe that sacks are a numbers game and that what really matters is pressures, he’s your guy.  I lean towards the latter of the two.  He showed in 2019 that he can sack the QB.  Last year he had a TON of pressures, but he didn’t cash in any of them with sacks.  I’m willing to chalk most of that up to being a fluke associated with a small sample size, but I can understand why some people want nothing to do with him.  

I actually think he’s the perfect player to take at 30 because of his upside.  All prospects have warts when you get towards the end of the first round.  Oweh is the kind of guy you could look back on in a few years and say “thank God he didn’t get any sacks during the shortened season or he’d have gone top 10 and we’d never have had a chance at him.

I agree he is. He is also the kind of guy who you could look at in a few years and say "man he had no sacks at all his final year in college why didn't we take more notice of that" when he is out of the league. Part of his failure to turn opportunities into production is questionable situational awareness. He bites too often on misdirection and fails to see counter opportunities because he doesn't really understand the game well enough to appreciate how tackles are trying to block him. He is very raw. But I do see the high ceiling and upside and so while I'd be pretty meh about him as the pick I would understand the thinking. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Billl said:

As usual, context matters.  What sort of scheme was he in at Penn State?  What was he asked to do?  Many college teams do very little dropback passing, preferring to run quick-hitting throws to the first read or running RPO...How many real sack opportunities did he have?  Were there any other good pass rushers on his team, or did he get most of the attention?  

1 hour ago, Billl said:

Not likely.  Joe’s the guy who knocked up Willie Roaf’s wife causing Roaf to leave town.  Roaf might be the best Saints player of all time pre-Brees.

Archie Manning? I thought Willie was known as “meat” Roaf?😎

Edited by Solomon Grundy
  • Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Archie Manning? I thought Willie was known as “meat” Roaf?😎

Dude was a 9 time all-pro.  He’s in the conversation for best offensive lineman ever.  I used to see him at my gym walking the track.  He shuffled around like Ozzy Osborne and looked about as athletic, but my God could he whup asses for 5 second spurts.

• Like (+1) 1