CFL to delay season, Argos owners want to "scrap" the league

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

And?   That article was 7 years ago.  The league isn’t any closer to expanding now. 

They aren’t close to expanding.  All I am saying is that given they can’t get any more US eyes on TV sets, growth in revenue and tv dollars would be from international expansion.  That would include Canada when the time comes is all I am saying.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/23/2021 at 12:14 AM, Zerovoltz said:

My 2 cents on the Canadian football marketplace.

The NFL is going to want a team in Canada sometime sooner rather than later.  Toronto is the obvious choice and ultimately will probably be where a franchise is located...but the thing to remember about the NFL at this point is their moves are all about expanding TV/media deals.

We aren't going to hear of US expansion....ever again most likely....and the reason is TV dollars.

In the US, NON NFL cities already watch NFL football games at a rate every bit as high as NFL media markets do.  You do not gain eyes on screens by putting a new team in Portland, OR and San Antonio, TX.  ......doing so means you have the same viewership numbers, but now the owners have to split that pie among 2 more teams.  They aren't interested in that.

What would very much interest the NFL is NEW TV money....ideally without expansion even....same 32 clubs get to share the new money....and new money comes from new markets.

you put ONE NFL team in Canada...it's going to become "Canada's Team".....and will draw media interest.....and the NFL can sell the rights for a nice fee, wich the owners then share on top of the US TV deal.

Same with London...you move a team over there....it's the UK Team....and the big media deal that goes with....split among the 32 owners.....

So....just by moving the Jags....to London....and some team (the Bills?) to Canada.....the 32 owners can VASTLY expand their revenue.

Maybe there is some friction trying to move 2 existing teams....so you expand.....same thing applies...whatever expansion happens...MUST be in line with adding screens and thus raking in the new media market revenue.  Expansion then to London and Toronto. 

The NFL's TV numbers in Canada are already very high and the entire population of the country is about the same as the state of California.......where the tv numbers are good and coincidentally most natives follow teams from other states.:lol:

I don't think there is nearly as much left on the table as you might think.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/14/2021 at 7:32 AM, Canadian Bills Fan said:

This will never happen. WAY too many Canadians love the CFL

I am not sure why the reactions to your post are what they are. The Argos bleed money, but go even to Hamilton and you'll find huge support. Not to mention the popularity of the CFL out West in Saskatchewan, Manitoba and even Alberta. Not sure about BC. Canadians DO love the CFL, just not in Toronto.

19 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

They aren’t close to expanding.  All I am saying is that given they can’t get any more US eyes on TV sets, growth in revenue and tv dollars would be from international expansion.  That would include Canada when the time comes is all I am saying.

In Ontario, the NFL is already more popular than the CFL. I have friends who are Lions fans, Bengals fans, Packers fans, Patriots fans, Cowboys fans, etc. Everyone here already has a team they are loyal to that they would not dump in favour of a Toronto team. I know I wouldn't, and god help me if they start up that nonsense about moving the Bills to Toronto again.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Why are they delaying the season? 

Hard to get ticket sales in this environment and they are hoping more people are vaccinated and can attend.

CFL is a lot more dependent on ticket sales than NFL and last year asked for revenue from Canadian government.

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/cfl/news/cfl-asks-for-up-to-150-million-to-offset-covid-19-pandemic-losses/oha0iipua4fn1lx9f594ytwz9

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/14/2021 at 8:27 AM, SF Bills Fan said:

I’ll bet the owners of the Argos also see the CFL in Toronto as a barrier to eventually getting the NFL team they really would like to have. If the league ever expanded again I’d think Toronto would be a prime candidate with maybe London, Mexico City and a few US cities in the running. 

Not even close. 

3 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Ironic, that Rodgers croaked, and the Bills ended up staying put. There was a great thing that happened, with the sale of the team to the Pegula's: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/17/jon-bon-jovi-swears-off-buffalo-after-failed-effort-to-buy-the-bills/

Bob Jovi, what a dickweed. He's so full of it. He's ticked off he didn't get to move the team. Keep your promise not to inflict your music on us ever again. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/14/2021 at 7:15 AM, Draconator said:

One of the best football games I've ever seen was the 1989 Grey Cup between Hamilton and Saskatchewan. When Tony Champion caught the TD with about a minute to go, everyone was expecting OT, but the Rough Riders had other ideas. It was like a team from the NFC East won the Super Bowl. Great stuff! 

I guess I don't know the CFL scoring rules, but how did a team have just 1 point? That threw me off lol

Just now, BigDingus said:

I guess I don't know the CFL scoring rules, but how did a team have just 1 point? That threw me off lol

Safety. A team can try for a field goal, and if they miss, the team on "defense" can catch the ball, and take a safety. Remember, the goal posts are on the goal line, so safety's are a common occurrence.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

Safety. A team can try for a field goal, and if they miss, the team on "defense" can catch the ball, and take a safety. Remember, the goal posts are on the goal line, so safety's are a common occurrence.

Interesting, thanks for the explanation. I had no idea that was a thing over there.

3 hours ago, Draconator said:

AKA a "Rouge".  They have to have something french sounding for Quebec

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Any ball that can't be taken out of the end zone by your opponent gets you a point.

5 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

AKA a "Rouge".  They have to have something french sounding for Quebec

Yes, Quebec seems to be literally allergic to English or even English adjacent words. In France, stop signs say "stop". In Quebec, they all say "arret".

I am surprised it's still legal to speak English there at all.

• Dislike 1

https://3downnation.com/2021/04/24/football-for-a-buck-ottawa-play-by-play-man-aj-jakubec-says-former-cfl-exec-valued-big-three-franchises-at-1-each/

3 hours ago, Boxcar said:

Yes, Quebec seems to be literally allergic to English or even English adjacent words. In France, stop signs say "stop". In Quebec, they all say "arret".

I am surprised it's still legal to speak English there at all.

A buddy of mine lives in Quebec just over the border from Vermont. He tells me the dirty secret of Quebec is it's nearly half English speakers but the government ignores that fact.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

https://3downnation.com/2021/04/24/football-for-a-buck-ottawa-play-by-play-man-aj-jakubec-says-former-cfl-exec-valued-big-three-franchises-at-1-each/

A buddy of mine lives in Quebec just over the border from Vermont. He tells me the dirty secret of Quebec is it's nearly half English speakers but the government ignores that fact.

Absolutely. You can live completely comfortably in Montreal as an Anglophone, I have a friend who lives there as one, in fact. Head up to places like Quebec City and you are treated like the scum of the earth for not speaking French, first hand experience. I think the fact so many English speakers live in QC is the reason they are so overprotective of their French culture. And they probably feel like their most important city has been lost to the English.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/22/2021 at 10:38 PM, purple haze said:

Why would they need to agree on similar rules?  Canada is similar to the States in various ways, but, ultimately, it’s still a foreign country and they have ways specific to them.  I don’t think the CFL was created to mimic the NFL.  It has a long tradition. 

At one point, it was clear that the NFL at least wanted to grow the sport internationally. They play games in Europe and Mexico, had NFL Europe at one point. Yet the two countries playing it have such wide differences it borders on ridiculous. Yes the CFL has a long tradition, but no doubt that most of the rule differences are just to be different, no other reason. But of course Rugby and Aussie Football are also very different from one another, and from North American football. Almost weird when you think about it!

On 4/25/2021 at 10:31 AM, Boxcar said:

Absolutely. You can live completely comfortably in Montreal as an Anglophone, I have a friend who lives there as one, in fact. Head up to places like Quebec City and you are treated like the scum of the earth for not speaking French, first hand experience. I think the fact so many English speakers live in QC is the reason they are so overprotective of their French culture. And they probably feel like their most important city has been lost to the English.

I'm a Québécois. It's like you guys can't fathom that it's 100% fine to resist being completely overwhelmed and drowned. North America is English, the Internet world too. We are getting to be a minority in Québec itself and Trudeau (father & son) and ilk want to assimilate us. Your point that you can easily live only in English in Montreal illustrates this to a T. Of course it doesn't excuse rudeness in Québec City, but that comes more from Ontario youngsters coming in to party, drink at 18, and raise hell LOL It comes from old battles. Tourism used to make that City live (before Covid) so it's not as bad as you make it.

I'll never get why so many English Canadians, that strive soooooo hard to be different from their American peers with which they share 95%+ of the same culture, hate us while we give a different flavor and uniqueness. When I go to Texas, I want to live a Texan experience. Same in New York, Louisiana, BC, Alberta, etc. Yet many of you guys hate on Québec, while knowing so little about us. Most of us speak English so we understand you more way more that vice versa. And for all it's PC woke slant, the Canadian media still vomit all over us with no restraint.

My father told me decades ago how they were 4 dudes talking, him, one from Montreal, an American, and a British dude. Guess who didn't speak French? Of course the guy born and raised in Montreal. My last GF was anglophone and spoke French pretty fluently... but she had learned while working. Her ex BF father of her kid spoke none. And he lived in RURAL Québec. He of course complained he had a hard time finding a job. Like if I could in the US or English Canada refusing to learn English...

Yeah we want to protect our ways. Well, thanks the web, federal government, SJW, woke culture, young people don't care anymore about traditional values of any kind, so the battle is lost. It'll be English coast to coast in two generations, and we will be just of the many minorities in Canada. 

Edited by Jerome007
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Jerome007 said:

At one point, it was clear that the NFL at least wanted to grow the sport internationally. They play games in Europe and Mexico, had NFL Europe at one point. Yet the two countries playing it have such wide differences it borders on ridiculous. Yes the CFL has a long tradition, but no doubt that most of the rule differences are just to be different, no other reason. But of course Rugby and Aussie Football are also very different from one another, and from North American football. Almost weird when you think about it!

I mentioned this upthread but I'll bring it up again. Three-down football is the original football. American colleges adopted 4-down football in 1912. 

https://torontosun.com/2012/02/02/college-football-a-different-game-century-ago

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I mentioned this upthread but I'll bring it up again. Three-down football is the original football. American colleges adopted 4-down football in 1912. 

https://torontosun.com/2012/02/02/college-football-a-different-game-century-ago

And that is of course the main difference

But what about all the others? Differences in length and width of the field (wwwaaaaayyyy too big BTW, it sucks as a fan), different end zone size, goal post at the zero yard line, 12 players vs 11, 1 point by kicking in the end zone, 3 minute warning, different game clock management and stoppages, and on and on and on. Don't tell me that for many of these it's not just to be different! Childish, even.

6 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

And that is of course the main difference

But what about all the others? Differences in length and width of the field (wwwaaaaayyyy too big BTW, it sucks as a fan), different end zone size, goal post at the zero yard line, 12 players vs 11, 1 point by kicking in the end zone, 3 minute warning, different game clock management and stoppages, and on and on and on. Don't tell me that for many of these it's not just to be different! Childish, even.

Read that article. Field size also applies. But I'm sure other CFL rules came along after to make it even more different. I really doubt those differences were made in spite to the NFL. They are a separate league and they evolved in their own way.

There are stories on this CFL-XFL thing almost daily but I'm not posting them unless something really stands out. But the gist is the CFL is in a world of hurt. Merging with the XFL might help them (or not) but it would require them to give up their Canadian identity (rules differences) which matters to many of their fans.  Not that the XFL is in great shape either. I think the Rock and his partners are trying to create an international league (Mexico maybe) that they can entice the TV networks with.  Right now the odds are against both leagues.,

Edited by PromoTheRobot

28 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Read that article. Field size also applies. But I'm sure other CFL rules came along after to make it even more different. I really doubt those differences were made in spite to the NFL. They are a separate league and they evolved in their own way.

There are stories on this CFL-XFL thing almost daily but I'm not posting them unless something really stands out. But the gist is the CFL is in a world of hurt. Merging with the XFL might help them (or not) but it would require them to give up their Canadian identity (rules differences) which matters to many of their fans.  Not that the XFL is in great shape either. I think the Rock and his partners are trying to create an international league (Mexico maybe) that they can entice the TV networks with.  Right now the odds are against both leagues.,

NFL has changed rules many, many times so focusing on Canadian rule changes make no sense.  Did NFL make changes to spite CFL?

There are some rules I think XFL would adopt from CFL in any merger and would have less issue than CFL although CFL seems to be looking (as do some CFL teams) are looking for new blood.   I do think the XFL owners may able to bring capital into CFL including new advertisers and sponsors.  

This combined league will not become a USFL or AFL competition so if they want to thrive they need to align with NFL somehow to make it more appealing to players like NFL Europe.

Let's stop pretending the NFL and CFL are on the same level, maybe? Talent, MONEY, audience, number of teams, etc. Like it or not, NFL is THE league. So yeah, CFL is mostly different to have their "Canadian identity". NFL barely pay attention to them.  I didn't say it was like that in the past, I'm talking NOW

I wonder what are the CANADIAN audiences for the CFL compared to the NFL. Besides in Alberta maybe, and even there, I'd bet NFL draws more ratings.

A XFL league with US-Canada-Mexico  teams, in spring time, that could really be good.