Random Political Thoughts Inc.

T&C

Biden warned of a DARK Winter or some BS while Yellen was talking transition.  

Headwinds seem to be coming from everywhere right now.

These earning reports are going to be interesting.

On 3/27/2023 at 8:55 PM, T&C said:

Are Twain's books Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn still in school libraries? I honestly don't know, haven't been to a school in decades.

They were re wrote years ago to make them PC.  specially huck Fin.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

They were re wrote years ago to make them PC.  specially huck Fin.

Wow... had no idea, I still have the original ones. Not 1st pressings or anything like that but the way the book was written At That Time.

• Like (+1) 1

AI expert warns Elon Musk-signed letter doesn't go far enough, says 'literally everyone on Earth will die'
Eliezer Yudkowsky writes that advanced AI will kill all sentient life on Earth and must be shut down

An artificial intelligence expert with more than two decades of experience studying AI safety said an open letter calling for a six-month moratorium on developing powerful AI systems does not go far enough.

"Many researchers steeped in these issues, including myself, expect that the most likely result of building a superhumanly smart AI, under anything remotely like the current circumstances, is that literally everyone on Earth will die," he asserts. "Not as in 'maybe possibly some remote chance,' but as in 'that is the obvious thing that would happen.'"

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/ai-expert-warns-elon-musk-signed-letter-doesnt-enough-literally-everyone-earth-will-die

16 minutes ago, Doc said:

More than 2 decades?  Pshaw.  I knew about the dangers of AI back in 1984...  

Spirit was singing about it in 1970... 

@Chris farley https://dnyuz.com/2023/04/03/what-is-the-ideal-retirement-age-for-your-health/.  Average age without disability is 73.  Maybe early retirement isn't so bad!  Now early unemployment?  not so much.

Gal Wettstein, a senior research economist at the Center for Retirement Research at Boston College, looked at age and potential for employment in a study about people’s working life expectancy. He found that Americans who are healthy at age 50 can expect to have roughly 23 more years free of disability, plus about eight years living with disability. That would suggest people’s maximum working life expectancy, on average, is age 73.

Carpe diem

Edited by redtail hawk

I am curious of something I noticed yesterday when in two separate English teachers rooms. These are two people I don't know well but I noticed they each had more than 25% of their bookcases labeled- banned books- so I looked at the covers and none of them are actually banned in  Florida high schools. Several of them were dystopian books and a few were lightly sexual, are the teachers trying to get kids interested in reading by pretending or are they trying to be political? It is frustrating to see someone lie to kids but it is difficult to get kids to read these days.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Im pro-life, but R’s need to figure out how to message post-Roe, asap.   Especially in northern states.  

No idea how they weren’t prepared, and still aren’t, for this moment.  But here we are…

Most of America believes in restrictions after 15-20 weeks.   One side pushes bans and six weeks while the other side pushes next to zero protections for the unborn.  

In the battle of extremes, the pro-choice side looks more rational given the shadow of Roe being repealed. 

Now, because Wisconsin R’s couldn’t figure this out, not only will abortion measures be more liberal… they’ll also have direct effect on the Presidential election in 2024 in regards to voting measures.   

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

I guess being able to kill babies all the way up to and right after birth is really important to a lot of people. 

Yup.  

Ive come to terms with it.  I just wish people would be honest with themselves about what’s going on here.

They can be pro-choice.  That’s fine.  I get it.  We live in an imperfect world.  

Just stop thinking they have the moral high ground too … they do not.   We all know this.. even those that lie to themselves about it. 

Edited by SCBills