TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - Complete!!

Virgil

Just now, NewEra said:

Would you consider taking Togiai over Shelvin or Tufele?  

Like Jaelan Phillips, I don't expect Tyler Shelvin to be on our board. Too many character and motivation problems.

Jamar Johnson is the one that makes the most sense out of those 3 so that's a good addition.

9 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

Voted for Jordan due to position scarcity. We need help there and WRs and cbs will be there later. 

Agree, value-wise. I just don’t think OT is a big need for us...

I'd kick him inside. Ford could use the competition. DR just looks like a powerful OL. Might get a chance at tackle down the road.

8 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

I voted for Molden but ***** me, most of those options are dire for round 2.

Getting the distinct feeling this class might not be that good.

Yeah these options are as unexciting as rd 1. Which is exactly why I expect Beane will move around as much as he’s able to maximize the value of those picks. 

In this scenario, where we’re not considering trades, it really comes down to value and “playing the board” (incorporating position depth/scarcity into your picks). That’s why I voted Jordan. I’d prefer we collect a bunch of “B” type players than maybe maybe one “B+“ and a bunch of “Cs”. 

Going purely BPA is the other way to go, and that’s probably Cox, at this point, but that doesn’t really do a lot for us from an improving the roster standpoint...

Just now, inaugural balls said:

I'd kick him inside. Ford could use the competition. DR just looks like a powerful OL. Might get a chance at tackle down the road.

Could work, but I don’t really see G as a massive need either, AND, pushing a T inside isn’t always as easy a transition as it feels like it should be...

Like the player a lot (I took him in the first mock we did) but my hope is that we’re able to address a more pressing need this early...

3 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

Yeah these options are as unexciting as rd 1. Which is exactly why I expect Beane will move around as much as he’s able to maximize the value of those picks. 

In this scenario, where we’re not considering trades, it really comes down to value and “playing the board” (incorporating position depth/scarcity into your picks). That’s why I voted Jordan. I’d prefer we collect a bunch of “B” type players than maybe maybe one “B+“ and a bunch of “Cs”. 

Going purely BPA is the other way to go, and that’s probably Cox, at this point, but that doesn’t really do a lot for us from an improving the roster standpoint...

Could work, but I don’t really see G as a massive need either, AND, pushing a T inside isn’t always as easy a transition as it feels like it should be...

Like the player a lot (I took him in the first mock we did) but my hope is that we’re able to address a more pressing need this early...

I think interior OL needs work and can be improved. From a value standpoint, Radunz stands out in this list - in my ever so humble opinion.

18 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

It does seem to drop off quickly.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

I think interior OL needs work and can be improved. From a value standpoint, Radunz stands out in this list - in my ever so humble opinion.

It’s not our strongest position, by any means. And obviously in this scenario we’re a little on tilt, so it certainly wouldn’t be the worst pick — far from It. I just think our situation at TE and CB, especially, is rough

2 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

It’s not our strongest position, by any means. And obviously in this scenario we’re a little on tilt, so it certainly wouldn’t be the worst pick — far from It. I just think our situation at TE and CB, especially, is rough

I don't see any way we don't take a CB with either 30 or 61.  It's our only real need and it seems to be a pretty good CB class.

I think TE won't happen until 5th round or later, if at all.  I think they still like Knox's potential a lot. 

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

I don't see any way we don't take a CB with either 30 or 61.  It's our only real need and it seems to be a pretty good CB class.

I think TE won't happen until 5th round or later, if at all.  I think they still like Knox's potential a lot. 

I agree that corner will be selected with one of our 1st 2 picks as long as the draft board falls unlike our 2.0 did.

Imo, all of the outside corners worthy of the  61st spot are off the board. Molden is worthy of the selection, but he’s a slot corner or safety imo.  Doesn’t fit our “need” for outside cb2

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

I suppose Molden if he's a fit. I don't think he has the speed we need. Our best bet for a CB is in round 1. 

Re: TEs - I'm totally against drafting one anywhere to be honest. First, not one (besides Pitts) stands out as a difference maker. Serviceable, but not game changing. Plus they take too long to develop. Knox owns that until he proves otherwise. I'm hoping a vet TE is acquired post draft. 

7 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

I suppose Molden if he's a fit. I don't think he has the speed we need. Our best bet for a CB is in round 1. 

Re: TEs - I'm totally against drafting one anywhere to be honest. First, not one (besides Pitts) stands out as a difference maker. Serviceable, but not game changing. Plus they take too long to develop. Knox owns that until he proves otherwise. I'm hoping a vet TE is acquired post draft. 

I agree regarding corner.  Adebo/trill Williams look like the best shots at cb2 at this point.  Molden can’t play outside imo, but he’s the best corner left.

just wondering what you (and everyone else) don’t like about Brevin Jordan?  I feel if he were 1-2 inches taller he’d be a first rd pick.  He’s 6’3.  Is a willing blocker (and not a bad blocker by any means).  Is one of the best RAC WRs/TEs in college football.  Has very good hands. I don’t see what the issue is with him

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I agree regarding corner.  Adebo/trill Williams look like the best shots at cb2 at this point.  Molden can’t play outside imo, but he’s the best corner left.

just wondering what you (and everyone else) don’t like about Brevin Jordan?  I feel if he were 1-2 inches taller he’d be a first rd pick.  He’s 6’3.  Is a willing blocker (and not a bad blocker by any means).  Is one of the best RAC WRs/TEs in college football.  Has very good hands. I don’t see what the issue is with him

Too developmental, unless you feel that's not the case with BJ. I'd prefer an established vet. We need to find out, once and for all, if Knox has the goods. it just doesn't seem like the time to introduce another fledgling TE. 

Of course, we still need that vet TE somehow, somewhere. 

1 hour ago, mannc said:

And not much in this TE class after Pitts.  Freiermuth is OK, but it is depressing after that.

3 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

And not much in this TE class after Pitts.  Freiermuth is OK, but it is depressing after that.

What don’t you like about Brevin Jordan?  It’s my biggest question to the board.  What am I missing here as to why people don’t love this kid?  Not a polished route runner?  Not tall enough? I’ve read some scouting reports and watched a bunch of tape.  I like what I see.  Why don’t you like him?

@Buffalo716@GunnerBill@Blokestradamus  @thebandit27  @BADOLBILZ

Anyone care to elaborate?

29 minutes ago, NewEra said:

What don’t you like about Brevin Jordan?  It’s my biggest question to the board.  What am I missing here as to why people don’t love this kid?  Not a polished route runner?  Not tall enough? I’ve read some scouting reports and watched a bunch of tape.  I like what I see.  Why don’t you like him?

Physically, he's a day 3 pick.    Small target for a TE.   Very slow for a modest 6'2" receiving target at any position.   Decent blocker and feel for coverage.  But guys like that really gotta' grind to make it.....like Jonnu Smith did.    He's not lazy but he has always been treated like the mega-recruit he was and a lot of excuses have been made for why he hasn't played like one.    His pro day was a perfect example of my concerns with him.   He ran like a near 4.69 and swore in disbelief that he always runs a 4.3 and jumps 6" higher than he did.   Confidence is usually a plus but c'mon dude.    

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Physically, he's a day 3 pick.    Small target for a TE.   Very slow for a modest 6'2" receiving target at any position.   Decent blocker and feel for coverage.  But guys like that really gotta' grind to make it.....like Jonnu Smith did.    He's not lazy but he has always been treated like the mega-recruit he was and a lot of excuses have been made for why he hasn't played like one.    His pro day was a perfect example of my concerns with him.   He ran like a near 4.69 and swore in disbelief that he always runs a 4.3 and jumps 6" higher than he did.   Confidence is usually a plus but c'mon dude.    

I didn’t see his pro day 40 time.  Ouch.  I thought he was faster than that.  I also thought he was 6’3.  Not ideal height for a TE but only an inch shorter than Kittle.  I just really love his RAC ability.  Considering how wide open our offense is, it should be too hard to get him in space.  But then again, is he fast enough to make defenses pay?  Based on your feedback, the answer would be no.  

Thanks

20 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I didn’t see his pro day 40 time.  Ouch.  I thought he was faster than that.  I also thought he was 6’3.  Not ideal height for a TE but only an inch shorter than Kittle.  I just really love his RAC ability.  Considering how wide open our offense is, it should be too hard to get him in space.  But then again, is he fast enough to make defenses pay?  Based on your feedback, the answer would be no.  

Thanks

A 4.69 at Indy would be a decent time for a TE, but it is disappointing with the “home field” 40 times coming out of pro days. Add in that he doesn’t have prototypical size for the position and pretty good, but not stellar production in college and it makes me think he isn’t a top prospect.  Maybe he can sneak into the 3rd or 4th round - or maybe someone will like him more than that.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Thanks

Yeah he's not an athletic freak.   The majority of TE work is still blocking and boxing out coverage in the pass game so smaller TE's tend to disappoint, IMO.    Evan Engram is an example......his numbers aren't great but even the numbers he does put up are hollow in their impact.......... and he's obviously much more explosive than Jordan.    The other primary Miami TE,  Will Mallory, is more of a big, lumbering conventional TE.........but IMO due to his size he has actually been more of a big play guy.   

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't like his hands either. A lot of body catches. To be a top tight end in this league you gotta be able to confidently clutch it out of the air.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

yep. This is why I’m team trade. I don’t hate trading up in the first, but really I prefer trading out of the first and using a surplus of capitol to move around and get guys you like as they will be few and far between.

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Like Jaelan Phillips, I don't expect Tyler Shelvin to be on our board. Too many character and motivation problems.

Jamar Johnson is the one that makes the most sense out of those 3 so that's a good addition.

I don’t know about Shelvin, but my go to for 1-Tech is Alim McNeil. He’s good against the run already and offers a nice upside as a rusher. He’s super athletic for 330.

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

For me I just don’t see what he adds to this offense? He’s a developmental move TE that’s probably never gonna be very good in-line and will be a year or two away from producing in this offense - he’s a less athletic hedge against Knox not taking a step. If I’m gonna grab a TE in that range I’d rather get Tremble, who I know can come in and be a good blocker right now and has as much upside as a receiver.