Georgia election laws and MLB

5243a6f19a4b091a646ac6305bde0eec5e5b495e

It is not about Georgia

The explosion of vitriol against Georgia for the audacity to try and protect future elections has been remarkable. Businesses, including Delta and Coke, have made very public statements about the issue. Major League Baseball will be moving its All-Star Game from Atlanta to Denver. Celebrities in sport and entertainment have weighed in against Georgia.

To hear them tell it, Georgia has become the revival of the old Confederacy and a new Sherman’s March is needed to burn Georgia once again. All of this is based on an election law that expands voter access and does it legally, as the Constitution directs. For now, the politicians in Georgia are resisting this onslaught.

In reality, it is not about Georgia. It is something much more diabolical. This is a warning to other states that may attempt to do what Georgia has done. In the last election, a few states were the focus of the irregularities that appeared to throw the election to the Democrats. Activists with political authority in these states used the pandemic to bypass their legislatures to impose quick, partisan changes to voting processes to diminish secure processes. Now, the legislatures in these states are considering changes to law much as Georgia has done.

In Wisconsin:

This legislative cycle, Republicans around the country have proposed hundreds of bills that would restrict access to voting, taking aim at issues like absentee voting, voter registration and disability access. Wisconsin Republicans are part of that trend, releasing their plans as well.

In Pennsylvania:

GOP leaders in Harrisburg say they want to examine what happened and work with Democrats to improve state law. The House State Government Committee has already begun a months-long review.

In Michigan:

Michigan Senate Republicans unveiled 39 wide-ranging bills Wednesday to alter state election laws, targeting areas like absentee ballots and voter qualifications that were the focus of former President Donald Trump's campaign to overturn his 2020 defeat.

In Arizona:

The Republican-led Arizona state Senate announced Wednesday four auditing firms have been hired to recount the 2.1 million ballots cast in the Maricopa County general election last year.

This is a national trend that is much too large to fight nationally. Democrats can target Georgia and even afford to lose there. However, if their efforts frighten off the other states, they come out ahead. This battle, taken on a national scale with corporations in multiple states, would not work. They must make it appear local while getting a national effect.

That is what the blowup in Georgia is really about. Much like the crime boss making a visit to a business and proclaiming, “Nice little place you got here. You don’t want what is happening in Georgia to happen to you, do you?” Pay attention, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Arizona, among others. If they win in Georgia, you can count on them targeting you, if you don't play along.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2021/04/it_is_not_about_georgia_.html

33 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

That's not very nice, Chef Jim Crow.  You seem to be a bit of a grumpy goat these days.  Or, should I say, a cranky crow.  

It's better that assuming you have any clue about what someone else's opinions and thoughts are.  Not only does it make you not very lawyerly it also makes you look foolish.  So carry on fool. 

15 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Voter suppression seems to have replaced the word racist.  Why is that do you think that is? 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

It's better that assuming you have any clue about what someone else's opinions and thoughts are.  Not only does it make you not very lawyerly it also makes you look foolish.  So carry on fool. 

Voter suppression seems to have replaced the word racist.  Why is that do you think that is? 

Still a cranky crow, I see.  Name-calling is never a nice thing.  Maybe instead of hurling insults you should reflect for a moment and determine whether you're clearly articulating your positions.  I think, if you can take some time away from your mysterious financial business for such a review, you'll find that much of what you write is incomprehensible gibberish, and that it's you, sir, who is the problem here.  

Or maybe it's that you don't even know what you think and just defer to whatever you hear on Newsmax or from the MyPillowGuy.  Probably the latter,  but I'll give Chef Jim Crow the benefit of the doubt and hope for the former. 

7 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Oh, no matter what you say, Jim - this law does target a specific group of voters - there is no other reason why this new law exists. 

You call it whatever you want that helps you sleep at night.

And if you don't think the legislature's specially chosen Election Committee isn't going to exercise their right to RIGHT SIZE and disqualify votes - you're dreaming and minimizing the impact of this law - because we already know historically (esp in the South) that they will disenfranchise a very targeted group of voters in very specific (blue) counties.

And as proud as you are that the law addresses long lines - there is NOTHING those points can do to counter the fact that ruling party closed over 200 voting sites in the past four years with no intention of replacing them.

I appreciate how hard you try to dispel the racist intent in this law but it is clear that EVERYONE is entrenched in their perspective and no one here is going to sway those opinions.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Oh, no matter what you say, Jim - this law does target a specific group of voters - there is no other reason why this new law exists. 

You call it whatever you want that helps you sleep at night.

And if you don't think the legislature's specially chosen Election Committee isn't going to exercise their right to RIGHT SIZE and disqualify votes - you're dreaming and minimizing the impact of this law - because we already know historically (esp in the South) that they will disenfranchise a very targeted group of voters in very specific (blue) counties.

And as proud as you are that the law addresses long lines - there is NOTHING those points can do to counter the fact that ruling party closed over 200 voting sites in the past four years with no intention of replacing them.

I appreciate how hard you try to dispel the racist intent in this law but it is clear that EVERYONE is entrenched in their perspective and no one here is going to sway those opinions.

You say this law targets a specific group of voters.  What group of voters is it targeting and how have you arrived at your conclusion?   Here's the thing.  Regarding your last sentence.  People are intrenched and for a reason. What are those calling it racist basing that claim on?  In my opinion it's because it's backed by the Republican Governor and Republican Georgia legislature for that and that reason only.   

11 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Still a cranky crow, I see.  Name-calling is never a nice thing.  Maybe instead of hurling insults you should reflect for a moment and determine whether you're clearly articulating your positions.  I think, if you can take some time away from your mysterious financial business for such a review, you'll find that much of what you write is incomprehensible gibberish, and that it's you, sir, who is the problem here.  

Or maybe it's that you don't even know what you think and just defer to whatever you hear on Newsmax or from the MyPillowGuy.  Probably the latter,  but I'll give Chef Jim Crow the benefit of the doubt and hope for the former. 

Name calling?  🤣 The guy who calls me Chef Jim Crow and attacks my chosen profession?  You're funny.  And gibberish?   Nah...I've been very clear however if you choose you filter it so you can continue to call me names and attack my chosen profession (yes I attack yours too) so be it.   Carry on.   

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

You say this law targets a specific group of voters.  What group of voters is it targeting and how have you arrived at your conclusion?   Here's the thing.  Regarding your last sentence.  People are intrenched and for a reason. What are those calling it racist basing that claim on?  In my opinion it's because it's backed by the Republican Governor and Republican Georgia legislature for that and that reason only.   

People outside large populous blue counties don't have to wait in extremely long lines to vote... why?

And you're ok with the power grab from the SOS and local county election boards, right? Of course you are.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillStime said:

People outside large populous blue counties don't have to wait in extremely long lines to vote... why?

And you're ok with the power grab from the SOS and local county election boards, right? Of course you are.

Seriously?  You have to ask that?  Here let me use your own words.  LARGE POPULOUS!  This is the funniest thing ever.  Now will this Bill fix this? Only time will tell.  Did it address this?  Yes.  Funny you didn't mention POC?   Why is this?   I'm always against power grabs by government.  See I'm a conservative.  I'm consistent.  Does that power grab constitute racism?  No.  Are you and @SectionC3 so thick you can't understand my point or are you being intellectually dishonest?  I'm going with the latter but I'm starting to wonder about the former.  

• Agree 1

We can debate this until the end of time but at this point the legislation is water under the bridge.  If there's a gripe about the Georgia election law then those objections need to be taken to the courts.  File the challenges, make the argument, present the facts, and let the judicial provide a ruling.  

16 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Your comments about long waits being only in blue areas is correct, in Florida I live in a county that is slightly blue but in a town that is very red, the times I do anything in town things run great but when I have to deal with county offices it takes longer. In 2012 I had wait 3 hours to vote while the next county over had enough places that all were in and out within 30 minutes. You are blaming republicans for allowing democrats to screw it up.

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Your comments about long waits being only in blue areas is correct, in Florida I live in a county that is slightly blue but in a town that is very red, the times I do anything in town things run great but when I have to deal with county offices it takes longer. In 2012 I had wait 3 hours to vote while the next county over had enough places that all were in and out within 30 minutes. You are blaming republicans for allowing democrats to screw it up.

Who is the controlling party in Georgia? Why would blue counties purposely close their sites?

11 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

We can debate this until the end of time but at this point the legislation is water under the bridge.  If there's a gripe about the Georgia election law then those objections need to be taken to the courts.  File the challenges, make the argument, present the facts, and let the judicial provide a ruling.  

There are law suits.... and the DOJ may get involved, too.

25 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Seriously?  You have to ask that?  Here let me use your own words.  LARGE POPULOUS!  This is the funniest thing ever.  Now will this Bill fix this? Only time will tell.  Did it address this?  Yes.  Funny you didn't mention POC?   Why is this?   I'm always against power grabs by government.  See I'm a conservative.  I'm consistent.  Does that power grab constitute racism?  No.  Are you and @SectionC3 so thick you can't understand my point or are you being intellectually dishonest?  I'm going with the latter but I'm starting to wonder about the former.  

There is no reason to continue to debate the race element of this law. Because it's not WRITTEN IN IT VERBATIM and YOU don't wait in long lines to vote apparently it doesn't exist. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Name calling?  🤣 The guy who calls me Chef Jim Crow and attacks my chosen profession?  You're funny.  And gibberish?   Nah...I've been very clear however if you choose you filter it so you can continue to call me names and attack my chosen profession (yes I attack yours too) so be it.   Carry on.   

I think you misspoke.  I didn't want to call you Chef Jim Crow.  You made me do it.  You brought all of this upon yourself with your silly, Crowy views.  You left me no choice in the matter whatsoever.  If you don't want to be called Chef Jim Crow, then simply renounce Jim Crow policies and actions.  Like this lousy new GA law.  

56 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Come on, man, you can't call a guy Chef Jim Crow 13 times in one thread and then call foul when he says you're acting foolish and not very lawerly.  At least not if you don't want people to think you're a hypocritical delta bravo.  

I don't love everything about this law, but to claim that it's Jim Crow on Steroids is offensive to the folks who endured Jim Crow.  I think we should make it so everyone can easily get a state of government issued ID for free, and use that free ID to vote.  I don't think anyone should be able to drive a van around and pay homeless people in food and liquor to vote for their party, but I do think that polling stations can have water on hand for people that forget to bring it themselves.  We can have a both a secure election where Americans can easily cast their vote, as long as we all stop acting like a$$holes to each other. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, BillStime said:

There is no reason to continue to debate the race element of this law. Because it's not WRITTEN IN IT VERBATIM and YOU don't wait in long lines to vote apparently it doesn't exist. 

There is no reason to debate the race angle of the Bill because there is none is what you meant to say correct?  When we see racism everywhere true racism becomes obscured.  My point from the beginning.  So people need to STOP shoving ***** in the racism box that do NOT belong there so the things that DO belong in that box don't get buried.  Fair enough?  

31 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I think you misspoke.  I didn't want to call you Chef Jim Crow.  You made me do it.  You brought all of this upon yourself with your silly, Crowy views.  You left me no choice in the matter whatsoever.  If you don't want to be called Chef Jim Crow, then simply renounce Jim Crow policies and actions.  Like this lousy new GA law.  

Comparing this Bill to Jim Crow makes you look really foolish. Carry on fool.  

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Come on, man, you can't call a guy Chef Jim Crow 13 times in one thread and then call foul when he says you're acting foolish and not very lawerly.  At least not if you don't want people to think you're a hypocritical delta bravo.  

I don't love everything about this law, but to claim that it's Jim Crow on Steroids is offensive to the folks who endured Jim Crow.  I think we should make it so everyone can easily get a state of government issued ID for free, and use that free ID to vote.  I don't think anyone should be able to drive a van around and pay homeless people in food and liquor to vote for their party, but I do think that polling stations can have water on hand for people that forget to bring it themselves.  We can have a both a secure election where Americans can easily cast their vote, as long as we all stop acting like a$$holes to each other. 

Thanks.  And FYI the Bill does make provisions for people to get water while they wait in line.  

This Code section shall not be construed to prohibit a poll officer from distributing materials, as required by law, which are necessary for the purpose of instructing electors or from distributing materials prepared by the Secretary of State which are designed solely for the purpose of encouraging voter participation in the election being conducted or from making available self-service water from an unattended receptacle to an elector waiting in line to vote.

Has NO ONE read this thing???

11 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

There is no reason to debate the race angle of the Bill because their is none is what you meant to say correct?  When we see racism everywhere true racism becomes obscured.  My point from the beginning.  So people need to STOP shoving ***** in the racism box that do NOT belong there so the things that DO belong in that box don't get buried.  Fair enough?  

Comparing this Bill to Jim Crow makes you look really foolish. Carry on fool.  

I have already quantified the number of entries on this site where you dispel racism.

No need to debate w someone like you w this issue as this bill fails to rectify how many polling sites were closed. 

Just now, BillStime said:

I have already quantified the number of entries on this site where you dispel racism.

No need to debate w someone like you w this issue as this bill fails to rectify how many polling sites were closed. 

I don't dispel racism here you dummy. I'm simply asking what, in your mind, makes it racist.   And you're not debating your chasing your tail.  

All I'm asking is quite simple  Is it racist?  I'll even make it easy for you and give you three choices.  

A. Yes 

B. No

C. I don't know

It's all very telling that you have not been able to answer this simple question. Now be forewarned you answer A or B I will follow up with a Why?