Stimulus Checks.

Irv

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

We need to stop incentivizing people to have children they probably cannot afford.

Which would lead to an increase in abortions so pick your poison conservatives.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Not necessarily, it could lead to other things........more adoptions, improved family planning, improved responsibility. 

This "pay for them" or they will be killed is pretty awful.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

How about they do neither?  Abortion is far from the only way to prevent a child you can't afford.  The affordable care act made contraception free.  If uninsured,,  one can acquire it free at planned Parenthood.  Or walk into the convenience store/gas station on every corner and buy some rubbers, trust me, they work.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

How about they do neither?  Abortion is far from the only way to prevent a child you can't afford.  The affordable care act made contraception free.  If uninsured,,  one can acquire it free at planned Parenthood.  Or walk into the convenience store/gas station on every corner and buy some rubbers, trust me, they work.

Yet it's been a goal of Republicans to defund planned parenthood despite most of their money being spent on education, contraceptives, and woman's health.  Especially in poor communities.

14 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Yet it's been a goal of Republicans to defund planned parenthood despite most of their money being spent on education, contraceptives, and woman's health.  Especially in poor communities.

You don't need Planned Parenthood for that.

Walk into ANY free Clinic, walk into the Health dpt. at any county building........There are baskets of free condoms.

There  are educational and health instructions and classes.

We don't need a private organization 

especially one that makes money off of killing babies and selling their parts.

The irony of both sides of this argument is fascinating.

So republicans defund planned parenthood resulting in more un supported children being born that need to go on Democratic welfare programs. 

it’s kind of crazy right? 

Freakonomics does a great job of analysis on this topic if one can set religion aside momentarily 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Agree 2

It's only a stimulus check if you didn't pay any taxes in CY2019.  Otherwise, it's the government benevolently giving you a sliver of your own money back to you.

While I like this setup like the next person, I'm also worried about late 70s-era inflation which will make a lot of people lose their minds when they try to get mortgages with those "low" 20% interest rates.    

38 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

If you would like to fund Planned Parenthood please do so. You can send them a check every month. I’m sure they’ll cash it. 

8 minutes ago, dpberr said:

It's only a stimulus check if you didn't pay any taxes in CY2019.  Otherwise, it's the government benevolently giving you a sliver of your own money back to you.

While I like this setup like the next person, I'm also worried about late 70s-era inflation which will make a lot of people lose their minds when they try to get mortgages with those "low" 20% interest rates.    

Or if you paid taxes and didn’t meet eligibility criteria it’s the government benevolently giving your money to someone else. Which I’m sure even then would be fine if those people actually needed it. 

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Why are you making this about Republicans?  They'll never be able to "defund" Planned Parenthood.  And even if they did, PP only gets 33%of its money from the feds.  they'd make that up with contributions or whatever.

Bottom line, they, ACA, and cheap rubbers at 7-11 (free in some places) should be able to cut way down on unwanted pregnancies.  I don't understand why we have so many these days with all the free/cheap contraceptives available.

4 hours ago, B-Man said:

You don't need Planned Parenthood for that.

Walk into ANY free Clinic, walk into the Health dpt. at any county building........There are baskets of free condoms.

There  are educational and health instructions and classes.

We don't need a private organization 

especially one that makes money off of killing babies and selling their parts.

None of those clinics have the infrastructure that planned parenthood has in the inner cities.  Abortion rates are at pre Roe v Wade level so they're doing something right.

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

If you would like to fund Planned Parenthood please do so. You can send them a check every month. I’m sure they’ll cash it. 

I'm glad my paycheck goes there because it equates to less future money needed for welfare programs.

53 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Why are you making this about Republicans?  They'll never be able to "defund" Planned Parenthood.  And even if they did, PP only gets 33%of its money from the feds.  they'd make that up with contributions or whatever.

Bottom line, they, ACA, and cheap rubbers at 7-11 (free in some places) should be able to cut way down on unwanted pregnancies.  I don't understand why we have so many these days with all the free/cheap contraceptives available.

You said, "We need to stop incentivizing people to have children they probably cannot afford."  I assumed you were talking about the generous child tax credits on this all Democratic bill so that's why I brought up Republicans.  There's just some irony in that the GOP is trying to force mother's who don't want to have children to have a child if pregnant.  Meanwhile they complain about social welfare programs.  Also, the birth rate declined by 4.4% from December of 2019 to December of 2020 because of the economic impact of Covid.  This idea that people are having babies purposely to qualify for financial assistance is absurd when the exact opposite is occuring.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

None of those clinics have the infrastructure that planned parenthood has in the inner cities.  Abortion rates are at pre Roe v Wade level so they're doing something right.

I'm glad my paycheck goes there because it equates to less future money needed for welfare programs.

You said, "We need to stop incentivizing people to have children they probably cannot afford."  I assumed you were talking about the generous child tax credits on this all Democratic bill so that's why I brought up Republicans.  There's just some irony in that the GOP is trying to force mother's who don't want to have children to have a child if pregnant.  Meanwhile they complain about social welfare programs.  Also, the birth rate declined by 4.4% from December of 2019 to December of 2020 because of the economic impact of Covid.  This idea that people are having babies purposely to qualify for financial assistance is absurd when the exact opposite is occuring.

Cool.  As to the bolded you are right because presently people aren't financially incented to have more kids.  Will be interesting to see what happens to the birth rate when people get an extra $300 per month for having another child.  Maybe I should have explained it better, but that's what I was referring to.

23 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

on this topic it’s a fact schools are paying bonuses to teachers from covid funds. There are line items for teachers unions. A TON of money hundreds of billions.

You can go on rationalizing government helicopter money, but the magnitude on top of already 5 or 6 trillion federal budget is absurd.

conversation is about 1.9 trillion dollars. 

id rather they have sent more money to those who need it, they gave extra thousands of dollars to people that don’t. Half the households that got checks or more were not impacted, and in fact because of less vacation an dining out have never had more cash on hand. 

this was wealth redistribution

but don’t take it from me. 

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/03/how-to-waste-more-than-a-trillion-dollars/

Way to completely avoid what I posted... didn't realize we were playing dodgeball.

And no, I won't take it from you and I won't take it from that link to that trashy conservative website you just posted.

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Cool.  As to the bolded you are right because presently people aren't financially incented to have more kids.  Will be interesting to see what happens to the birth rate when people get an extra $300 per month for having another child.  Maybe I should have explained it better, but that's what I was referring to.

You'd pry need more than that as the median yearly cost for raising a child in the US is about $6,000 and the average is about $13,000. 

They've tried providing financial incentives in other countries for people to have children and it's been a mixed bag.  Enhanced government benefits for having children have been successful  in Nordic countries.  France provides the most incentives in most European countries and has among the highest birth rates in Europe.  Reforms in countries like Italy and Germany weren't as effective.  

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Way to completely avoid what I posted... didn't realize we were playing dodgeball.

And no, I won't take it from you and I won't take it from that link to that trashy conservative website you just posted.

avoid what? You rationalized a bunch of money getting arbitrarily heaped on some cherry picked and already funded existing wasteful chronically failing government programs. 

we all know who you’re ‘taking it from’ 🐑

Enjoy your covid bonus on top of your thousands in stimulus money and the 5000x return your union got on the election campaign finance kickback (260 billion dollars - grotesquely corrupt and right in broad daylight.) 

Couldn’t have made it through without defrauding taxpayers for all that ‘emergency’ money you and your reps are stealing, right? 

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Wonderful! So that means if you didn’t have part of your paycheck automatically taken you’d donate to this cause on your own. Please do so. It’s not the role of the government to fund such enterprises. Think about it. You’re argument is that you want to fund one government program because it saves money from going to...you guessed it...another government program. Can’t you see how horribly circular this all becomes? All with good intentions, of course. 

52 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I got my money last night. I'm going to pay for my sailboat slip and buy me a new chainsaw. Woo hoo! Biden is the best president ever! 

What a fraud.  

Stealing your children’s money to cut down trees and pollute the air and water. 

typical ‘democrat’ living up to their soapbox values. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood