WandaVision, are you watching? A hex on you if you’re not.

ChevyVanMiller

I mentioned this Disney+ show in the streaming shows thread and got crickets for a response. The show, which sets up Phase Four of the MCU, is groundbreaking in many ways. It perfectly spoofs old sitcoms from each decade beginning with the ‘50s. It has more Easter eggs than the Cadbury Bunny. It has clever writing and clue layering that is reminiscent of “Lost” at it’s peak. And the acting is stellar and I predict that the cast will clean up at next year’s Emmys.

If you’re not watching this show, you’re missing out as it appeals on so many levels. It is currently 7 episodes in on a 9 episode run. When the current episode dropped, at midnight on Friday, it caused Disney+ to crash because so many millions of people were logging on to see it.

The next two Marvel movies, “Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness,” and “Spider-Man 3,” will draw heavily from what is being set out on “WandaVision.” Oh, and did I mention that it features the lovely Elizabeth Olsen? 

It’s one of the most inventive shows ever. Who’s watching and what are your thoughts on the show?

83765CC5-455C-4F14-90F1-A4B9E683BD5C.jpeg

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

I've enjoyed other reality-benders more like Undone (Amazon) and Legion (FX/Hulu), this is sort of a Disneyfied more kid-friendly version IMO. It's a fun show though, I especially enjoyed the first couple episodes spoofing the 50s and 60s with the real world sort of knocking on the door mysteriously. Bettany is talented and Olsen really is lovely.

1 hour ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

I've enjoyed other reality-benders more like Undone (Amazon) and Legion (FX/Hulu), this is sort of a Disneyfied more kid-friendly version IMO. It's a fun show though, I especially enjoyed the first couple episodes spoofing the 50s and 60s with the real world sort of knocking on the door mysteriously. Bettany is talented and Olsen really is lovely.

I haven't seen Undone, but I enjoyed Legion. I'll give Undone a looksee. WandaVision may have started kid-friendly (although the Twilight Zone choking scene in the first episode was way creepy) but a certain character who was finally revealed in the last episode took the show into very dark territory that no child (or two, as the case may be) should tread.

If you know the comic book source material there is a potential baddie that may be revealed who might be the darkest character ever to hit the little screen. I can't image the CGI necessary to bring him to the screen properly.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I haven't seen Undone, but I enjoyed Legion. I'll give Undone a looksee. WandaVision may have started kid-friendly (although the Twilight Zone choking scene in the first episode was way creepy) but a certain character who was finally revealed in the last episode took the show into very dark territory that no child (or two, as the case may be) should tread.

If you know the comic book source material there is a potential baddie that may be revealed who might be the darkest character ever to hit the little screen. I can't image the CGI necessary to bring him to the screen properly.

Thanks, I haven't watched the latest one yet. I hope you'll let me know what you think of Undone, I thought it was done a with a real sensitivity and insight into interpersonal relationships and just being human that was quite moving, with an interesting sci-fi/spiritual backdrop.

X-Men is the one comic book I've dabbled in, I've loved them since I saw the cartoon as a kid but I don't know it well enough to know what you mean I guess! I was wondering if the Shadow King may be in play again but I've heard murmurs it's something different.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Thanks, I haven't watched the latest one yet. I hope you'll let me know what you think of Undone, I thought it was done a with a real sensitivity and insight into interpersonal relationships and just being human that was quite moving, with an interesting sci-fi/spiritual backdrop.

X-Men is the one comic book I've dabbled in, I've loved them since I saw the cartoon as a kid but I don't know it well enough to know what you mean I guess! I was wondering if the Shadow King may be in play again but I've heard murmurs it's something different.

I sure will. I don't want to reveal who the villain may be (we used to have a spoiler shading option available here) and ruin it for anyone, suffice to say that he is one of the craziest things Marvel ever dreamt up. Btw, there was a very clever nod to Stan Lee in the opening scene of the latest installment.

• Like (+1) 1

I haven't watched and don't plan on it.  My feelings are that this has been done before in every regard.  Comic book movies and shows have been so over done they reboot every couple years.  Spoofing a 50's early TV show has been done before.  It is unfair of my to criticize without watching but nothing about this seems new or interests me.  The whole MCU has been rehashed so often that they have literally had to incorporate time travel and now parallel dimensions to justify it.  

I think the test would be can this show hold up on its own if you are not a Marvel (comic book) fan.  My guess would be no.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, IslandBillsFan said:

I haven't watched and don't plan on it.  My feelings are that this has been done before in every regard.  Comic book movies and shows have been so over done they reboot every couple years.  Spoofing a 50's early TV show has been done before.  It is unfair of my to criticize without watching but nothing about this seems new or interests me.  The whole MCU has been rehashed so often that they have literally had to incorporate time travel and now parallel dimensions to justify it.  

I think the test would be can this show hold up on its own if you are not a Marvel (comic book) fan.  My guess would be no.  

I think that you are way underestimating how well this show is done. My choice of the word “spoof” to describe the sitcom element of WandaVision was a poor one. They are more like homages with the writers and actors getting every nuance just right. If that is all it was then maybe I could accept your dismissive attitude, but the show is also full of layers, riddles within riddles, all of which drop clever hints that weave into a narrative that must please longtime comic fans while not alienating casual movie and TV watchers.

It hits a home run on every level.

I won’t try to further dissuade you from your ill-informed choice to disregard the show, but I will say that your post reminded me of a terrific lyric from the Avett Brothers: “Ain't it like most people? I'm no different, We love to talk on things we don't know about.”

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

On 2/20/2021 at 3:10 AM, ChevyVanMiller said:

I mentioned this Disney+ show in the streaming shows thread and got crickets for a response. The show, which sets up Phase Four of the MCU, is groundbreaking in many ways. It perfectly spoofs old sitcoms from each decade beginning with the ‘50s. It has more Easter eggs than the Cadbury Bunny. It has clever writing and clue layering that is reminiscent of “Lost” at it’s peak. And the acting is stellar and I predict that the cast will clean up at next year’s Emmys.

If you’re not watching this show, you’re missing out as it appeals on so many levels. It is currently 7 episodes in on a 9 episode run. When the current episode dropped, at midnight on Friday, it caused Disney+ to crash because so many millions of people were logging on to see it.

The next two Marvel movies, “Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness,” and “Spider-Man 3,” will draw heavily from what is being set out on “WandaVision.” Oh, and did I mention that it features the lovely Elizabeth Olsen? 

It’s one of the most inventive shows ever. Who’s watching and what are your thoughts on the show?

83765CC5-455C-4F14-90F1-A4B9E683BD5C.jpeg

I love the show, but I am 2 1/2 decades removed from my comic reading/collecting days so I am missing probably 99% of the Easter Eggs.

The actors are great, but I'm a little wigged out by the fact that she's an Olsen sister.

I think I'm most looking forward to the Loki show. Falcon and Winter Soldier looks like it'll be a more traditional, action packed Marvel "movie," although I will say I am a little disappointed in the character they initially appear to favor in that show because the other is probably one of my favorite Marvel characters and I think he was cast well.

Notice I'm trying not to give any spoilers. :rolleyes:

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I think that you are way underestimating how well this show is done. My choice of the word “spoof” to describe the sitcom element of WandaVision was a poor one. They are more like homages with the writers and actors getting every nuance just right. If that is all it was then maybe I could accept your dismissive attitude, but the show is also full of layers, riddles within riddles, all of which drop clever hints that weave into a narrative that must please longtime comic fans while not alienating casual movie and TV watchers.

It hits a home run on every level.

I won’t try to further dissuade you from your ill-informed choice to disregard the show, but I will say that your post reminded me of a terrific lyric from the Avett Brothers: “Ain't it like most people? I'm no different, We love to talk on things we don't know about.”

Made me laugh Chevy.  You are correct.  I love talking about things I don't know much about.  Thats what makes it so much fun.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SDS said:

I would say highlighting an actress solely for her looks in a review is past its expiration date.

Well, I did state that the acting is stellar and that I think the Emmy’s will honor it as such. I think Elizabeth Olsen is at the top of that list, sorry if that wasn’t abundantly clear. Her beauty is only one of her many attributes.

32 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Well, I did state that the acting is stellar and that I think the Emmy’s will honor it as such. I think Elizabeth Olsen is at the top of that list, sorry if that wasn’t abundantly clear. Her beauty is only one of her many attributes.

Thanks. 

• Like (+1) 1

Havent seen the newest episode yet, so avoiding discussion on the show for now.

But wanted to share this tentative schedule a reddit user made. Disney is releasing new Marvel content every week for the rest of this year. And then will release new Star Wars content (Boba Fett, etc) every week of 2022. CANT WAIT!

f8z8fw5h0vh61.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Havent seen the newest episode yet, so avoiding discussion on the show for now.

But wanted to share this tentative schedule a reddit user made. Disney is releasing new Marvel content every week for the rest of this year. And then will release new Star Wars content (Boba Fett, etc) every week of 2022. CANT WAIT!

f8z8fw5h0vh61.png

Thanks for the info. The last episode was the best so far. Look forward to discussing it once the spoiler appropriate time frame has passed. (Whenever that may be)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.