Cover 1 Buffalo podcast (Salary Cap Info)

Dkollidas

It’s 2hrs long, but within the 1st half hour or so, you really get a great understanding of the Bills cap situation. As they go along you can see that if the Bills do everything they need to do, they could keep Brown, Hughes, Hyde, Addison, basically only cutting Butler and maybe Jefferson (if he won’t take a cut), and build up close to $40M in cap space. 

By far the most informative information regarding our cap situation and offers more than just “need cap space = cut that guy”.

https://www.cover1.net/buffalo-bills-salary-cap-special/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

cutting only Butler and Jefferson would seem to allow us to keep OT Williams, likely Felicanio (who I think is overrated by many here, IMO), and perhaps Milano depending on what he's offered.  If Milano is offered too much, we could get DT Tomlinson in FA and draft a LB.  

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

cutting only Butler and Jefferson would seem to allow us to keep OT Williams, likely Felicanio (who I think is overrated by many here, IMO), and perhaps Milano depending on what he's offered.  If Milano is offered too much, we could get DT Tomlinson in FA and draft a LB.  

This is just me spit-balling here-- but I have a feeling they are going to really shake things up on both sides of the ball (get more speed at WR; get more beef on the interior line; and get more physicality and speed in the front 7 on defense). That may mean letting some of the fan favorites walk (Brown, Williams, Addison, Feliciano, Morse, Milano).  I could be totally wrong-- but I don't think that last game sat well with McBeane. 

• Like (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This is just me spit-balling here-- but I have a feeling they are going to really shake things up on both sides of the ball (get more speed at WR; get more beef on the interior line; and get more physicality and speed in the front 7 on defense). That may mean letting some of the fan favorites walk (Brown, Williams, Addison, Feliciano, Morse, Milano).  I could be totally wrong-- but I don't think that last game sat well with McBeane. 

id be ok with all of that, although i'd want ot keep williams.

mongo would be a good signing if he isn't too expensive, and allows us to cut morse and move mongo to C

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Bills will  keep OT Williams

Beane will also be prepared to make some serious moves if necessary to obtain other team's cap casualties that would result in significant improvement in the areas you mention

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, spartacus said:

Beane will also be prepared to make some serious moves if necessary to obtain other team's cap casualties that would result in significant improvement in the areas you mention

That is what I am thinking too. I think he wants to lock down both tackle positions, but I could see getting replacements at both guards and center position (with Ike going to the bench).  

34 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

15 minutes ago, spartacus said:

I agree with both of you and think that this offseason is going to be a lot busier for The Bills than people expect.  I'm usually not a big fan of kicking the salary cap down the road that handicap's future years, however, this an extremely unusual year for the cap.  It dropped a lot, but in future years it's going to balloon like crazy after this covid crap calms down and the new TV deal gets done.  Could be looking at going from 175-185 million this year to 210-220 million next year.  The cap never increases like that, so I don't think it would hinder The Bills much if at all.  Cap casualties like you said and team friendly one year deals will be there for the taking as well.

Beane was pretty open during his press conference. It points to the direction the Bills are heading in this offseason.

Milano, Brown, and Feliciano will not be back.

They will try hard to sign Williams.

Beane will be looking hard for a new athletic TE.

No major RB acquisitions.

As a replacement for Milano, Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah would look good in a Bills uniform. Maybe Zaven Collins. Both are playmakers on defense.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I'd be pretty surprised if we get more speed at WR. Diggs, Beasley, and Davis will all almost certainly be back. I'm kinda hoping neither Brown or McKenzie return, but in that event, it's hard to imagine that their replacements would be faster than they already are, and even if they are, they probably won't have as large a role as a healthy Brown as the Bills give Davis more chances.

I do expect TE and OLine to be priorities on the offensive side though as well as the front 7 defensively.

14 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I think we see a lot of pay cuts.  I think it’d be kind of harsh to cut some of these guys.  Hard to judge a guy negatively off last year.  And these guys could’ve decided to opt out.  I think you find a way to keep them at a reduced number.  

only keep guys if you can't get better replacements

no sentimental attachments

21 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I'd be pretty surprised if we get more speed at WR. Diggs, Beasley, and Davis will all almost certainly be back. I'm kinda hoping neither Brown or McKenzie return, but in that event, it's hard to imagine that their replacements would be faster than they already are, and even if they are, they probably won't have as large a role as a healthy Brown as the Bills give Davis more chances.

I do expect TE and OLine to be priorities on the offensive side though as well as the front 7 defensively.

Good point. When I was thinking more speed, I was actually thinking more of a Robert Foster type (straight line speed to stretch the D). 

it’s hard to not want to replicate what the chiefs do— an Unguardable TE in the middle and a speedy deep threat to draw the safeties back. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I think you are being clouded by fan-speak.  The same people who would have cut Bass, traded Klein for a box of donuts, and now want to cut Singletary.  This all from the Bills best squad in years.

The OP is suggesting there is a way for the Bills to have a lot of continuity - to bring back the core of the gang that just won 15.

I'm hoping they can bring back most and add a good veteran TE (to go w Knox) and a good pass rusher in free agency, and then shore up everything else in the draft.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I think we see a lot of pay cuts.  I think it’d be kind of harsh to cut some of these guys.  Hard to judge a guy negatively off last year.  And these guys could’ve decided to opt out.  I think you find a way to keep them at a reduced number.  

Not only that. I think in these economic conditions, guys like Jefferson and Addison know they won’t get much on the open market, so a pay cut is in their best interest. 

47 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I think you are being clouded by fan-speak.  The same people who would have cut Bass, traded Klein for a box of donuts, and now want to cut Singletary.  This all from the Bills best squad in years.

The OP is suggesting there is a way for the Bills to have a lot of continuity - to bring back the core of the gang that just won 15.

I'm hoping they can bring back most and add a good veteran TE (to go w Knox) and a good pass rusher in free agency, and then shore up everything else in the draft.

I think continuity is a big part of it.

I also think they want to keep as much depth as possible. And you continue building that systematic depth by retaining your own and allowing them to teach the system to the new guy and so on and so on.

the one guy I’m conflicted on is Brown. I think like Tompsett says in the pod, it just depends on their medical evaluation of Brown. Is it something he can come back from and was just a minor thing? Ok cool, come on back for one more go. 

or was it a bigger issue that could likely linger and limit his explosiveness (which is such a huge part of his game).

If its the latter, they cut him. If it’s the prior, they try to negotiate some kind of pay cut/extension with a lowered cap hit. 

• Like (+1) 2

I dont get all the cut Mitch talk....   The cap savings is like 4.8 million, for that money a dont see getting an upgrade at center.  The radio guys say he is one of the higher rated pass protecting centers, and it looks like the Bills will want to be a passing team.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, spartacus said:

only keep guys if you can't get better replacements

no sentimental attachments

Just saying...look at all the players who opted out on New England.  Most/all the guys on the DL are big dudes who most likely are high risk.  I’m not normally sentimental but if a few more of those guys opted out like Star that could’ve severely hampered our season.  None of the guys we’re talking about cutting are bad players. Just think we could bring a lot of the guys back at a reduced number and evaluate them in a hopefully normal year.  

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I hear you. But I think they aren’t going to be loyal to some of these stop-gap guys (Addison), or vets at the end of their contracts (Mongo, McKenzie). They probably want to keep their core guys and homegrown guys if they can, but upgrade at key spots. 

• Like (+1) 1

I really enjoyed the entire 2 hours plus.  Really well done!  I think the thought “process” on everything is great and accurate.

I am really excited to see what Beane does to help us get to the next level!  I think he’s got this!

3 hours ago, colin said:

id be ok with all of that, although i'd want ot keep williams.

mongo would be a good signing if he isn't too expensive, and allows us to cut morse and move mongo to C

I've asked elsewhere, I'll put it here:

Can someone please walk me through the whole "cut morse, move mongo to C" train of logic?

I'll put out what I understand:

1) Cost savings: I don't think there are any

-Morse has a $10.3M cap number, but only $4.8M savings if cut due to accelerated amortized bonus.

-Spotrac estimates Feliciano's value as $8.4M/yr, 4 years (that's pegging him as a starting guard/C - it would slot him into #17 for a starting C, #10 for a starting RG, so it isn't unreasonable on the face of it.

-Therefore if you cut Morse and resign Feliciano, you have to come up with an extra $3.6M, depending upon how the contract is structured.

-Even if Feliciano signs for a lot less (or a lower up-front cap hit), it's probably a "wash" at best

2) Pass blocking.  Most people who know a little bit seem to evaluate Morse >> Feliciano as a pass blocking C.  Since our pass game will likely remain the priority, why would we want a downgrade at pass blocking?

3) Run blocking.  Morse is an athletic center who is a good blocker in space.  F2F with a nose tackle, he's not gonna shove him back.  Feliciano is much more capable as a power run blocker, no question.  But is that the blocking game we want to run?  🤷‍♂️  Last year lotsa gap runs.  This year mostly zone. 

4) as a Guard, Feliciano blocked well at times but other times, Woof!  See Cover1 Glaring Run Game Issues video for examples.  In particular, Feliciano seems to struggle when the guy he's preparing to block stunts (either run or pass).  [By the way, same video shows some stinker run blocking by Williams]

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2