Since Watson wants out of Houston, could Watt be far behind?

Draconator

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I am pretty sure he played more snaps than any d-lineman in the league this year. In fact, I’m almost certain. I’m not advocating the move, mind you.

Check  out the snap counts. They are ridiculously high for a DE. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WattJ.00.htm

Indeed and the lack of production raises more red flags. As Addison played a whole lot less snaps with similar production.

Just now, The Jokeman said:

Indeed and the lack of production raises more red flags. As Addison played a whole lot less snaps with similar production.

Yeah, with those snap count numbers, you’d definitely expect higher counting stats. He did finish 6th in the league in TFLs, though.

To everyone dishing out negative emoticons for me pointing out the self promotional nature, high salary, low production and injury history of Watt, do you care to explain?  

I took a lot of heat for not thinking Andrew Luck was the greatest prospect that ever lived and was proven correct on that.  This seems similar.  The fame cult that surrounds Watt doesn’t mean he would help the Bills.  Watt was a good player at one point in the past.  He isn’t any more.  He also very much likes to be the center of attention.  That isn’t a personality type that would benefit the Bills.

If he gets cut I would sign him in a heartbeat. Use the money we save cutting Jefferson, Butler & Addison to pay him and Milano and finish out the Dline with a rookie and a mid-tier player. Our Dline would be Hughes, Oliver, Star, Watt. That's already an upgrade over what we had last year. 

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Agree 1

On 1/28/2021 at 11:31 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Watt would be a horrible candidate for a trade IMHO.  The lose/lose situation is to trade picks AND have to pay a high salary for a guy who has played 2 full seasons in the last 4, and looked OK in the most recent.

I think he's likely to be a cap casualty for Houston.

Beane pointed to the Bills lack of size on the DL as a big problem.    I think they have a bunch of guys in the 270-340 range on that DL which is plenty big enough.......but that's what Beane said.   

Watt has the size and run defense presence and still has some pass rush left in him.    He fits the mold that Beane is talking about.

The key is actually that he's likely to be cut and become a free agent.    Given a choice of contenders to sign with.......places like KC, Green Bay(Wisc native) and Tampa Bay would likely have better chances to get him.  

That's why I am leaning more toward a trade for pass rusher.   If they want Watt they may have to trade for him and pay the extra $.   We can talk all we want about how the Bills and Josh Allen should be perceived but players are likely to trust Mahomes, Brady and Rodgers over Josh Allen and it's not like Buffalo has more money to pay out than those teams.      

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I would happily trade a 4th for Watt and could be convinced to maybe offer more than that.

The Athletic is saying Houston is aiming for a 2nd + maybe a later pick for him.

They’re out of their minds.  There’s only one franchise dumb enough to make a deal like that, and unless the Texans figure out a way to trade with themselves, that’s not happening.  If you give up that much for a guy with one year left on his contract, you have to work out an extension, and nobody is lining up to give away picks for the right to sign JJ to a mega deal.

6 minutes ago, Billl said:

They’re out of their minds.  There’s only one franchise dumb enough to make a deal like that, and unless the Texans figure out a way to trade with themselves, that’s not happening.  If you give up that much for a guy with one year left on his contract, you have to work out an extension, and nobody is lining up to give away picks for the right to sign JJ to a mega deal.

I think a 2nd is much too high as well. I don't think it would necessarily take a mega-deal but obviously depends on the player (and probably the team that acquires him). I think it's possible at this stage of his career that if traded to a contender, he'd restructure his deal to spread the money out for 2 or 3 years instead of just 1 and make it like a 2/$20 or 3/$30 kinda thing instead of just a 1/$17.

Obviously we don't know that for sure, but like I said, if all it costs is a late 4th, I'm in. He's probably better than any of the options in free agency and I think I'd rather pay his 1/$17 mil than giving someone like Ngakoue a 4/$60-80 mil deal anyways.

I think Watt would open things up for Oliver in a way that maybe none of the other options out there would. Watt is double-teamed at a higher percentage than any other player in the league and that's even with Houston still having Whitney Mercilus lined up on the other side of the line. I think he'd do wonders for Oliver provided he makes it through the season healthy.

• Like (+1) 1