"Some in the league think Josh Allen has caught Patrick Mahomes", per PFT

Logic

15 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

They beat us easily two times.... They are clearly the better team and better roster. 

Mahomes > Allen. Why is this thread still going? 

Maybe you can ask to become a moderator. That way, you can shut threads down when they don't meet with your approval. Condescend much?

10 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I wouldn't accept it, honestly.  Even though Mahomes is better than Allen right now, there's no sign that Allen has plateaued.  I think Mahomes has, albeit at a very high level.

I would bet on Allen continuing to get better.  And his potential ceiling is, I believe, higher than where Mahomes is right now.

I don't think Mahomes has plateaued. Indeed this season I definitely saw things I think he can improve. His focus in the middle of games wandered too often and it felt like he needed the game to get tight to wake himself up. Equally I think at times he gets too greedy to make the big play outside the structure of the offense. 

Now can he get much better than he played against the Bills in the AFCCG? No, maybe not, he was close to perfect. But can he get better based on his 2020 season as a whole? Absolutely, yes he can.

14 minutes ago, Success said:

Seems logical & based on trends to me.

Allen has improved dramatically with each new season.  I can't really look at Mahomes over the past 3 years and say the same. Granted, he was at a higher level as soon as he started, but it seems pretty logical based on trends & trajectory that Allen will at least improve more going forward.

My thoughts exactly

4 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

Our guy was running for his life and their guy had time to grill a steak and a potato.  Their guy has a better team.   I saw some throws by our guy during season that I don’t think their guy can throw.  I’d like to see highlights of best throws of both.  I’d pop some corn.  Their guy looks cooler because he’s got more horses.  Get our guy more horses and then we can talk.  Go Bills 🦬🦬🦬

As I said earlier, taking QB out of the equation, there is almost no one from among the players or coaches from the Bills' offense I'd take over the Chefs'.  And I'd also take Spagnuolo over Frazier as DC.  And since Mahomes has a year more in the NFL, won MVP, a SB and SB MVP and is considered a HOF'er already, I'd have to say he's better than Josh right now.  But I'm hoping to change my mind soon.

15 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

Our guy was running for his life and their guy had time to grill a steak and a potato.  Their guy has a better team.   I saw some throws by our guy during season that I don’t think their guy can throw.  I’d like to see highlights of best throws of both.  I’d pop some corn.  Their guy looks cooler because he’s got more horses.  Get our guy more horses and then we can talk.  Go Bills 🦬🦬🦬

Do you think Mahomes had a better line what with 4 of 5 starters being out, or do you think he did a great job of reading the defense pre snap, identifying mismatches, and making quick decisions?  

Josh looked confused.  He changed plays consistently, but the defense adjusted as well.  He was under pressure, but he also missed plenty of throws that were there and got lucky with a couple of terrible decisions that could easily have been interceptions.

I can't think of a single play where Mahomes made a bad read or missed a throw.  When Buffalo blitzers got a clean shot at him, he shrugged them off and hit big plays.  When Kansas City blitzed, Josh took huge sacks.  

Both guys are Favre physically.  Mahomes is turning into Brady mentally to go with it.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Billl said:

Do you think Mahomes had a better line what with 4 of 5 starters being out, or do you think he did a great job of reading the defense pre snap, identifying mismatches, and making quick decisions?  

Josh looked confused.  He changed plays consistently, but the defense adjusted as well.  He was under pressure, but he also missed plenty of throws that were there and got lucky with a couple of terrible decisions that could easily have been interceptions.

I can't think of a single play where Mahomes made a bad read or missed a throw.  When Buffalo blitzers got a clean shot at him, he shrugged them off and hit big plays.  When Kansas City blitzed, Josh took huge sacks.  

Both guys are Favre physically.  Mahomes is turning into Brady mentally to go with it.

the amount of pressure that Allen was facing compared to the amount of pressure that mahomes was facing wasn't even close

I don't disagree that mahomes is calm under pressure, but Allen had guys in his face all day and was running for his life.. that was only select plays from mahomes , not the entirety

It also helps when Travis Kelce gets open instantly

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Billl said:

They had their entire starting OL for that game.

Today they'll be without their starting OTs.

• Disagree 1

16 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The difference between Allen and Mahomes at this point is the mental aspect of the game.

Mahomes doesn't seem to feel pressure mentally at all.... Or he thrives in pressure situations/games. He seems to welcome it. Allen gets rattled and loses composure a bit in big movements. Thought that was evident in the first quarter and a half against the Chiefs in the championship game. 

Yes, I agree that's the difference.

So the question becomes as to whether Allen will always be like that or not?

For me, Allen got significantly better at that this year with multiple incredible performances on primetime stages, including his first ever home playoff game.  He got better.

Allen played at a tiny high school and then a JuCo and then a small D1 school.  The "big stage" is kinda new to him.  Patrick Mahomes had a father who played professional sports and who played in the Big 12 at Texas Tech.  He kinda grew into knowing how to be a professional athlete and handle the spotlight.  Allen is still learning.

So yes, I completely agree with you that Mahomes is significantly better at the whole "composure" and "handling the spotlight" thing, and that's largely what makes him the better QB right now.  But again, Allen is still getting better and is still, to a large degree, getting used to the spotlight Mahomes grew up learning.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billl said:

Tell that to Mitchell Schwartz, Kelechi Osemeli, Laurent Duverney Tardif, and Eric Fisher.

Eric Fisher played 74% of the game.  Osemele and Schwartz were lost after the first 5-6 games of the season and Duvernay-Tardif opted-out of the season.  The Chefs rolled without those last 3 players for most of the season.

18 minutes ago, Billl said:

What I think you're really talking about here is how badly our D played and how great theirs played.

As for the "both guys are Favre physically."  I don't know what that means exactly.  Allen is the more physically gifted of the 2, pretty clearly.  While they have about the same arm strength (it's negligible... though Allen's "ball velocity" measurements at the Combine were greater than Mahomes by a little), Allen is taller by almost 3 inches, 15-20 pounds heavier, has less body fat (so more lean muscle), is faster and more explosive.

Allen >>> Mahomes physically

Mahomes >>> Allen mentally in terms of playing QB

The 2nd matters more, which is why Mahomes is the better QB right now.  But with every game played and every season played, I expect Allen to get closer and closer in terms of the mental aspects of the game.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Eric Fisher played 74% of the game.  Osemele and Schwartz were lost after the first 5-6 games of the season and Duvernay-Tardif opted-out of the season.  The Chefs rolled without those last 3 players for most of the season.

And those players who played in their absence are called backups.  So to repeat the question, do you think Mahomes line of mostly backups gave him an advantage over the line that was protecting Allen?  When Kansas City brought pressure, Allen took big sacks and put the ball into harm’s way.  When Buffalo brought pressure, Mahomes dodged it or got the ball out immediately.

30 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

the amount of pressure that Allen was facing compared to the amount of pressure that mahomes was facing wasn't even close

I don't disagree that mahomes is calm under pressure, but Allen had guys in his face all day and was running for his life.. that was only select plays from mahomes , not the entirety

It also helps when Travis Kelsey gets open instantly

You need to work on your Kelce Grammar :bag:

6 minutes ago, Billl said:

And those players who played in their absence are called backups.  So to repeat the question, do you think Mahomes line of mostly backups gave him an advantage over the line that was protecting Allen?  When Kansas City brought pressure, Allen took big sacks and put the ball into harm’s way.  When Buffalo brought pressure, Mahomes dodged it or got the ball out immediately.

What are you not getting here?  DT didn't play at all this season.  So he wasn't a starter.  The other guys didn't play most of the season.  The guys that replaced them became the starters and the team didn't miss a beat.  And yes, on the few times the Bills brought pressure, Mahomes made a play or two because his receivers were open instantly. 

7 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

What I think you're really talking about here is how badly our D played and how great theirs played.

As for the "both guys are Favre physically."  I don't know what that means exactly.  Allen is the more physically gifted of the 2, pretty clearly.  While they have about the same arm strength (it's negligible... though Allen's "ball velocity" measurements at the Combine were greater than Mahomes by a little), Allen is taller by almost 3 inches, 15-20 pounds heavier, has less body fat (so more lean muscle), is faster and more explosive.

Allen >>> Mahomes physically

Mahomes >>> Allen mentally in terms of playing QB

The 2nd matters more, which is why Mahomes is the better QB right now.  But with every game played and every season played, I expect Allen to get closer and closer in terms of the mental aspects of the game.

Still say it’s hard to say definitively who is better.  I’m sure someone has the average time to throw stats in that game.  Their guy had more time and more horses.  Therefore, our guy was pressured to do more.  Their guy had a better game, but switch QBs the results would’ve been the same.  I agree that our D got outplayed and coached, especially Xs and Os.

53 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The difference between Allen and Mahomes at this point is the mental aspect of the game.

Mahomes doesn't seem to feel pressure mentally at all.... Or he thrives in pressure situations/games. He seems to welcome it. Allen gets rattled and loses composure a bit in big movements. Thought that was evident in the first quarter and a half against the Chiefs in the championship game. 

Pressure on the passer can be funny that way....