A Few Thoughts About the Dolphins Game, in no particular order

Virgil

10 minutes ago, Virgil said:

The fact that all of those are true is simply astounding.  We are the team that no one wants to face in the playoffs.  We are the offensive juggernaut with a defense that creates turnovers and a special teams that flips field position.  It's amazing.  Just amazing.

that it is.   

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Virgil said:

2 - Tua - I'll give him credit, he throws a great sideline deep ball to the back-shoulder.  Other than that, the Bills absolutely demoralized the kid.  Yes, he threw for the illustrious 300+ yards, but our defense intercepted him three times, could have easily been five, and eliminated his effectiveness once he had to become a pure passer.  This is not an indication of the type of player is going to be, but it does go to show that the question is still out there.

5 - Barkley - No offense to Matt, but if you want to understand just how strong Allen's arm is, watch some of Matt's throws.  First off, I think Matt is one of the biggest cheerleaders on the team.  He was losing his mind on the punt return and the Smoke sideline catch.  I do take issue with his deep ball late to Davis, no matter how beautiful that play was.  We were up big and the game was over.  Let's be better there.  Barkley had one terrible interception, but was overall suitable as a backup in the game.  It was interesting to see the change of pace out there, but you could tell Matt was excited to make play and had no intention of just handing off the ball.

Good writeup.

2 - Tua is garbage.  If you press his receivers, he can't complete passes over 10 yards.  He had a couple rainbows, and the Bills 1st string backfield would have had more INTs.

5 - I loved seeing Barkley have success throwing the ball.  If we ever need the backup, I'll feel a little bit better.  I hear you about not piling on, we should have done that last week against the Cheats.

The new Williams was a revelation.  After the dearth of Williams lately, we need to restock our Williamses.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Haha (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

@Virgil I take no issue with Barkley to Davis late in the game. That was a message sent to Flores to stop playing games and calling timeouts when they are trying to run the clock out on the ground.

You want to keep calling timeouts? Fine. We will just put up another 7 and now you can have the ball back.

I could be wrong, but I think there was still 5 minutes left in the game.  I didn’t think Flores did anything wrong.  We could have take knees on 4 straight drives and won the game.  

After being on the other side of the disrespectful Pats for 20 years, I’m probably sensitive to it. 

Once you are up by 3+ scores with less than 7 minutes left, run it out 

• Like (+1) 1

Good recap.  This game was ridiculous. McDermott has brass balls.  i would’ve had Allen and some other guys in bubble wrap. But McD had em all out there in the first half and every button he pressed was perfection.  The depth guys looked great too.

Poor Miami (well not really).  since the 70’s I think Buffalo has whooped them over the years in every single meaningful game regarding playoffs or getting in.

Looking forward to Saturday.  Just do me a favor Bills... don’t screw around with uniforms. wear the same one as today. the one that’s meant to be our proper home uni, blue jerseys white pants.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Virgil said:

It wasn't supposed to be like this.  Yes, quite a few locked playoff teams played their starters to gain better seeding positioning and we did pull the majority of our guys by halftime.  We were playing a playoff hopeful team that had many fans worried could surge mid-way through the season and threaten as AFC East champions.  With that, there was no way we would absolutely humiliate and destroy the Dolphins, right?  We aren't that level of elite team, are we? 

1 - Knox - In all that occurred in this game, one thing that stuck out to me a lot was the amount of plays designed to go to Knox.  He didn't have a big game and a lot of the plays were either poor throws or blown up by the Dolphins defense, but the focus was still there.  I'm not quite sure why Knox was a focal point, and it may not be worth the time to understand any offensive philosophy in a meaningless week 17 game, but it was still a note multiple times today.

2 - Tua - I'll give him credit, he throws a great sideline deep ball to the back-shoulder.  Other than that, the Bills absolutely demoralized the kid.  Yes, he threw for the illustrious 300+ yards, but our defense intercepted him three times, could have easily been five, and eliminated his effectiveness once he had to become a pure passer.  This is not an indication of the type of player is going to be, but it does go to show that the question is still out there.  He isn't Herbert or Burrow and the offense is still very much tailored to bringing him along as a rookie.  Like the Steelers a few weeks back, the Dolphins play their game within 10 yards of the line and don't know how to adapt beyond that.

3 - Marlowe - Making the most of his extra playing time, Marlowe almost had three interceptions today as he was all over the field.  He was great in coverage as he was used almost Poyer-esqe in this game.  He was at the line, deep in coverage, and did a great job of holding his zone; which resulted in one of his interceptions.  Marlowe, like many others, showed the depth of this team and just how scary this defense can be.

4 - Well I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life

Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Rain and snow, run me out in the cold rain and snow

5 - Barkley - No offense to Matt, but if you want to understand just how strong Allen's arm is, watch some of Matt's throws.  First off, I think Matt is one of the biggest cheerleaders on the team.  He was losing his mind on the punt return and the Smoke sideline catch.  I do take issue with his deep ball late to Davis, no matter how beautiful that play was.  We were up big and the game was over.  Let's be better there.  Barkley had one terrible interception, but was overall suitable as a backup in the game.  It was interesting to see the change of pace out there, but you could tell Matt was excited to make play and had no intention of just handing off the ball.

6 - Smoke - How good was it to see him back out on the field?  If you wondered how his speed would be affected by the injury, the perfect deep ball from Josh answered that.  He showed his typical cross route and side-line awareness.  If this game only served the purposed of getting his feet wet and letting Josh find his rhythm with him, then mission accomplished.

7 - McKenzie - With Roberts and Beasley out, our #5 receiver had a career first half.  The punt return for a touchdown was all him, with jukes, stutter steps, and field awareness.  His touchdowns were just pure speed and tiring out the defenders.  If Beasley is unable to return for the playoff, I think it's safe to say that McKenzie can handle the pick-up duty.  He's a great compliment of speed with Diggs and Brown out there and can handle the limited calls he gets.  Great game for the kid and you have to be happy for him.  If you're an opposing defense, you have to just shake your head at another Bills weapon scoring points

8 - Bojo - I really debated making just a special teams thought, but Bojo's punt inside the 1 yard line was as beautiful a punt as I've ever seen.  For a kid who many wanted cut last season, Bojo has gone on to lead the lead in YPP this season.  Granted, he's well rested with this offense, but it has to make you feel better knowing how well we can flip fields in a possession game. 

9 - Matakevich - I'm not spelling that name, so he will be Tyler going forward (sorry Kroft), but I may have a new favorite back-up player.  Tyler was an absolutely missile out there today.  Kid just made a decision and just ran.  He also did the one thing that consistently drives me nuts about Edwards, and that's initiate contact on catches over the middle.  It seemed like every time someone tried to make a catch over the the middle, Tyler was there.  This kid was playing like he had red bull flowing through his veins.  Just another player who shows the depth this team has.

10 - Bass - To be honest, I don't understand how points are assigned to players.  Do offensive players not get 6 points for touchdowns?  Either way, Bass now owns the record for most points in a season.  Here's the thing, he did it on mainly extra points.  Seriously, besides the Jets game, the kid is barely out there for field goals.  I'm not taking away from his progress this season, as he's come a really long way, but it's just amazing to me that he set this record knowing his usage.

Honestly, I don't even know what to say about this team anymore.  I wasn't expecting this game nor the back-half of this season.  If, at the beginning of the season, I told you to pick one of the following to be true, which would you pick:

-Bojo leads the NFL in yards per punt

-Bass breaks teams single season point record

-Allen breaks the single season passing record

-Allen breaks the single season TD record

-Allen has almost 5k total yards and 46 total touchdowns

-Diggs leads the NFL in total receptions

-Diggs leads the NFL in total yards

-Bills score over 500 points

-Bills are 13-3, easily could have been 12-2

-Allen is a legitimate MVP candidate

The fact that all of those are true is simply astounding.  We are the team that no one wants to face in the playoffs.  We are the offensive juggernaut with a defense that creates turnovers and a special teams that flips field position.  It's amazing.  Just amazing.

Go Bills!

Awesome write-up Virgil.  Spot on on damn near everything you said.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

I could be wrong, but I think there was still 5 minutes left in the game.  I didn’t think Flores did anything wrong.  We could have take knees on 4 straight drives and won the game.  

After being on the other side of the disrespectful Pats for 20 years, I’m probably sensitive to it. 

Once you are up by 3+ scores with less than 7 minutes left, run it out 

That's literally what we were trying to do...as a team getting destroyed you respect that the other team is trying to get the game over not keep calling timeouts.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

@Virgil I take no issue with Barkley to Davis late in the game. That was a message sent to Flores to stop playing games and calling timeouts when they are trying to run the clock out on the ground.

You want to keep calling timeouts? Fine. We will just put up another 7 and now you can have the ball back.

That, along with the cheap shot to Diggs. Plus, these guys are backups and we’re looking for some action as they’ve been riding the bench for most of the season. 

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The new Williams was a revelation.  After the dearth of Williams lately, we need to restock our Williamses.

I feel bad for leaving him out. He had great burst and was happy for him out there.  He may earned the #3 spot in the playoffs, but I don’t see anyone taking carries from Moss and Motor unless there’s an injury. 

His first touchdown was fantastic 

• Like (+1) 1

In regards to Tua,  I think the Dolphins FO and coaching staff royally f’d up the management of Tua.  The dude wasn’t really supposed to see the field this year.  He’s one year removed from significant hip injury/surgery.   Instead,  their stupid FO wanted to see Tua on the field (mostly I think due to how well Herbert was playing).  Fitz was playing well at that point in the season,  but FO forced coaching staff hand to change QBs which is a big no-no.

jury is still out on Tua obviously,  but his FO did him no favors by forcing out there before he was ready.  If they would’ve just stuck with Fitz,  they’re in the playoffs now.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

As bad/petty as this sounds, I was more mad about running up the score because it showed we could do it without JA17 out there - which might influence MVP voters.

I hated the Pats for running up the score on us (and others) but do agree with Belichick in that this is the NFL. It's the other team's job to stop the offense.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, timekills17 said:

As bad/petty as this sounds, I was more mad about running up the score because it showed we could do it without JA17 out there - which might influence MVP voters.

I hated the Pats for running up the score on us (and others) but do agree with Belichick in that this is the NFL. It's the other team's job to stop the offense.

I don’t think that will ring true.  The Dolphins were a broken team by that point.  They went from 85% probable to making the playoffs to humiliated by backups. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

In regards to Tua,  I think the Dolphins FO and coaching staff royally f’d up the management of Tua.  The dude wasn’t really supposed to see the field this year.  He’s one year removed from significant hip injury/surgery.   Instead,  their stupid FO wanted to see Tua on the field (mostly I think due to how well Herbert was playing).  Fitz was playing well at that point in the season,  but FO forced coaching staff hand to change QBs which is a big no-no.

jury is still out on Tua obviously,  but his FO did him no favors by forcing out there before he was ready.  If they would’ve just stuck with Fitz,  they’re in the playoffs now.

I just don't see Tua as having any elite traits. Maybe he can be similar to Brees but that is a big ask to become that good.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

Eh, I don’t know if that will hurt him.  The Bills brought Allen in around the same time and he turned out somewhat decent 😋

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

You want to keep calling timeouts to try and get the ball back? Fine. We will just put up another 7 and now you can have the ball back.

I had no issue with it either.  It’s mostly our backups out there against their starters.  In that situation, let them play.  I remember Brady throwing deep against us up 50 to whatever. 

3 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

Fitz got screwed by the Fish. Watching Tua the last few weeks, I have no idea how the Fish got to 10 wins.  Most told me it was due to ridiculous defensive TOs.

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Eh, I don’t know if that will hurt him.  The Bills brought Allen in around the same time and he turned out somewhat decent 😋

Allen wasn’t coming off off-season hip surgery tho.  

Just a prime example of throwing out a QB before he’s ready.  I’m not complaining tho.  I implore all of our division rivals to have incompetent FOs like this.