Round 1 Playoff: Colts at Bills - Sat. 1/9 1:05pm

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, Tuel Time said:

Thanks for the response but why not early Sunday?

I get the feeling it may come down to who wins what games.  If we play the Steelers I think it will be sunday since they have the late game sunday this week.  If it's the Ravens/Titans, I think we will get the saturday game.  No real reason why I think that other than TV ratings for the big markets being able to watch the games.

8 minutes ago, davspo said:

Could be a smoke screen, but more realistically its a match up thing.  Colts have a stud slot corner that would match up nicely with Beasley not at 100%.  Having an extra big body non-slot receive matching up against otherwise mediocre corners can cause problems.  My guess is Diboll sees a potential matchup he likes and wants to have the big body available.   Or maybe they just want Williams to get a game check for being a good team guy?

Remember just because he is elevated does not mean he is going to be active.

No doubt Diggs goes, Beasley is 50/50.  

If theres a matchup for a big WR I would hope Gabe Davis gets the nod.  He has lined up all over the field.  If Duke is on the field, I only want him blocking for Brown on that 'Gold Rip' screen play they have run so well this year.

13 minutes ago, Tuel Time said:

Hmm, I assume by how sure you seem in your post that you've been watching his development at practice and you aren't happy with it. How has he been practicing? How has he looked since the rest of us last saw him?

ty

An older NFL star was seemingly given a box next to the owner of the team. We're not allowed a thread to discuss that?

Myself personally, I'm not a mod , but I don't see enough conversation evolving from this point of interest to warrant a whole thread on the subject IMO.

With all due respect

18 minutes ago, MWK said:

Hopefully Duke doesn’t drop an easy touchdown this year and cost us a game. I don’t care that Stills doesn’t know the system, he is lightyears ahead of Duke as a player. Hopefully it won’t be another year where we inexplicably try to throw to this loser in a playoff game.

Stand down, chap.  First of all, that very not knowing the system is a reason Stills is NOT lightyears ahead of Duke as a WR for the Bills at this time.

Second of all, no question but what at the same age, Stills has seen much more playing time in the NFL.  But in his recent season before release, he caught 11 of 19 targets (58%) with 3 scored drops (16%).  In his most recent playing time as a receiver last season, Duke was 12 of 19 for 63% with 2 scored drops (10.5%).

So I'm having trouble seeing those "lightyears" he is ahead of him, other than in sheer foot speed.  And fundamentally, teams don't cut WR mid-season to whom they owe guaranteed salary for no good reason.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Figster said:

Myself personally, I'm not a mod , but I don't see enough conversation evolving from this point of interest to warrant a whole thread on the subject IMO.

With all due respect

It's the "whole thread" part that gets me, like it's some limited resource lol. And of course, with all due respect. 

Just now, Tuel Time said:

It's the "whole thread" part that gets me, like it's some limited resource lol. And of course, with all due respect. 

With all due respect, first of all there's no mod hive mind so I can't explain all mod decisions nor can any other mod, we just all does our best.  And second of all, if you want to discuss this further back and forth, can you please take it to PM with each other instead of filling up this thread?  Thank you.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Thanks, Jeff. But what does this have to do with anything? I said I have no doubt he’s a hard worker and a good teammate. I hope all of our guys can go out and have an Isiah McKenzie 3 TD day, but if Duke is doing anything more than standing on the sidelines or getting a few snaps on special teams, something hasn’t gone right in this game. 

Here is what it "has to do with anything".

Beane and McD watch Duke all year. Beane and McD know how to evaluate football players. They can be wrong of course, but I wouldn't challenge them on that from my seat here because I haven't watched him all year and they are better than me at evaluating football players.

So my assumption is, if you ARE challenging them on this decision, you must also be watching him and good at evaluating football players.

So I was hoping for some insider knowledge.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

With all due respect, first of all there's no mod hive mind so I can't explain all mod decisions nor can any other mod, we just all does our best.  And second of all, if you want to discuss this further back and forth, can you please take it to PM with each other instead of filling up this thread?  Thank you.

With all due respect, I will drop it. It seems I'm in the heavy minority here lol

19 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I get the feeling it may come down to who wins what games.  If we play the Steelers I think it will be sunday since they have the late game sunday this week.  If it's the Ravens/Titans, I think we will get the saturday game.  No real reason why I think that other than TV ratings for the big markets being able to watch the games.

OK thanks. I was hoping there was some formula. I thought I read here that someone was pretty sure they would play Sunday if they win.

I think I'll pick Sunday off, but I can probably change that after tomorrow if I need to . 

22 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

How so? Theres no way the colts game plan changes with duke on the active roster or still on the practice squad

I think Reich and Sirianni are both "devils for detail".  So with Duke Williams elevated I believe they will both be sending their assistants scrambling for film of him in games to see what the Bills might do with him and what he can do.

That said, objectively speaking we have 3 WR and a TE going into the game who were on injury report or "out" of a game recently, plus of course Brown just coming back.  Given that, it makes sense to elevate a WR and have him ready to go.  Duke is not a good match for what Diggs or Beasley can do, but he has been working hard on his Teams play, and he could probably run some of the same routes that Gilliam and Davis run and some of their blocking assignments, freeing Davis to take on other roles.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/3/2021 at 8:30 PM, Rochesterfan said:

With unlimited PS call-ups - I would happily keep Yeldon off the roster and let Williams get some play.

Did we miss that Yeldon was activated from the Covid-19 list Weds?

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/06/buffalo-bills-activate-tj-yeldon-reserve-covid/

4 minutes ago, davspo said:

Is Antionio Williams still activated??

With Yeldon off the Covid-19 list, I don't think so.  Bummer because I'd have liked to see more of him.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Stand down, chap.  First of all, that very not knowing the system is a reason Stills is NOT lightyears ahead of Duke as a WR for the Bills at this time.

Second of all, no question but what at the same age, Stills has seen much more playing time in the NFL.  But in his recent season before release, he caught 11 of 19 targets (58%) with 3 scored drops (16%).  In his most recent playing time as a receiver last season, Duke was 12 of 19 for 63% with 2 scored drops (10.5%).

So I'm having trouble seeing those "lightyears" he is ahead of him, other than in sheer foot speed.  And fundamentally, teams don't cut WR mid-season to whom they owe guaranteed salary for no good reason.

I’m not saying that Stills is a superstar, chap. The Texans chose to move on from Stills because he was in the final year of his deal and they knew he wasn’t coming back next year, so they decided to give him a chance to catch on with a contender. All I know is that he is still an NFL-level player while Duke belongs back in the CFL or XFL. I am also scarred from the inexplicable decision to bring Duke up last year and target him 10 times, which partially cost us the game. There is a reason that nobody has even tried to sign Duke off of our practice squad in the last two years, and that is because he is not an NFL player. And before someone says that the coaching staff knows more than me and that he could have been good in practice, there is a reason he was only activated once all year and never played. If he was so good, they would have brought him up or actually let him play receiver at some point. I pray that he doesn’t actually play, because if he sees meaningful time at WR, we will be in trouble, just like last year. I know everyone loves him because they think he is good for some reason, but he is clearly not. 

Edited by MWK

Listening to John Clayton's segment from WGR-550 yesterday.

He said he feels Bills vs. Colts is the most interesting of the 6 matchups this weekend.

Young QB who "needs to learn how to win in the playoffs" vs. veteran QB who knows how to win.

I don't really agree with the "learning how to win" trope, but I thought his comment was interesting.

13 minutes ago, Tuel Time said:

Here is what it "has to do with anything".

Beane and McD watch Duke all year. Beane and McD know how to evaluate football players. They can be wrong of course, but I wouldn't challenge them on that from my seat here because I haven't watched him all year and they are better than me at evaluating football players.

So my assumption is, if you ARE challenging them on this decision, you must also be watching him and good at evaluating football players.

So I was hoping for some insider knowledge.

I’m not challenging them on anything. It’s their decision and they get paid to make those calls. It’s my opinion as a fan. The entire reason fan message boards like this exist. To discuss our opinions. I don’t have to attend practice every day to have one. Nor do you have to agree with me or place any significance in my opinion. I’m not offended by that. I know the rules.

To be fair, I don’t dislike him because he dropped that TD pass against the Texans. I actually really like his attitude. He also made some tough catches in that game, but I think we’ve seen about all we’re going to see from Duke and the playoffs are no time for his inconsistency. Just my opinion.

I’d like nothing more to be wrong on that because I always root for the team’s success over my own ego and ability to say “I told you so”.  If Duke comes out and plays incredible I’ll be the first one on here to quote myself and eat crow. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Somebody brought it up on LockedOn Bills, how cool would it be if Edmunds came out with the Spider Man long sleeves shirt?

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

that would be awesome 

someone needs to send him a tweet or message or something.

• Like (+1) 1