Can we trust Josh Norman in a playoff game?

Simon

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Two incredibly dumb things on 4th down today led to one conversion(and TD) and another that probably should have resulted in a Miami 1st down. If he is going to be that irretrievably stupid, I don't want him anywhere near the field in a playoff game.

This is a really good football team and I'd hate to see it sabotaged by the idiocy of one guy at a big moment in a tight game.

Seems like McDermott has looked at CB2 and beyond as a place where we can coach up cheap talent versus taking away $ from other areas of need. Putting an experienced player on the field who is likely to influence the game momentum- one way or the other- is almost a proclamation that the strategy isn’t panning out as imagined. Won’t be surprising to see some low round draft spend this year on a real 2. I know you’re imagining just how much better this D would be with even an average #2 CB.

20 minutes ago, AKC said:

Seems like McDermott has looked at CB2 and beyond as a place where we can coach up cheap talent versus taking away $ from other areas of need. Putting an experienced player on the field who is likely to influence the game momentum- one way or the other- is almost a proclamation that the strategy isn’t panning out as imagined. Won’t be surprising to see some low round draft spend this year on a real 2. I know you’re imagining just how much better this D would be with even an average #2 CB.

I've always undervalued corners because it's soooo hard to make a legitimate impact on the game from the defensive boundary. But the years-long effort by the Powers That Be to turn this into the Arena Football League have really got me questioning that maxim. I thought our inarguable #1 need going into the offseason was to get some help up front for Ed Oliver but I'm now having second thoughts about that. With Josh Norman continuing to show he'll never mature beyond being an unreliable knucklehead, Taron Johnson inability to stick to anybody and Levi Wallace's ongoing efforts to become the most technically unsound corner to ever wear a Bills uniform, I'm wondering if we'd be better served to rebuild the platoon of CBs. Right now I don't trust anybody but Tre White and the young gamer from Pitt, and that is a tenuous position in a league where seemingly anybody can throw it all over the field without fear of reperconcussions.

1 hour ago, Captain_Quint said:

His whole career has been this same type of play. Grab every play and only get called on it 1/3 of the time. Mouth runs the whole time. 

I would guess this is probably the truth. He plays very physical and on the boundary of pass interference on every play. If the ball doesn’t get thrown in his direction, he probably doesn’t get called. It’s not a totally bad strategy.

1 hour ago, CheshireCT said:

I would guess this is probably the truth. He plays very physical and on the boundary of pass interference on every play. If the ball doesn’t get thrown in his direction, he probably doesn’t get called. It’s not a totally bad strategy.

It's not really a knock on him. Seattle dbacks did this a few years back too. And that was when Norman was at his 'peak'. It just doesnt work for our defense because it's not how anyone else plays, so his physical play stands out to the refs. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, fasteddie said:

If he had the back arm on the waist and not the shoulder, it most likely would not have been called. Refs hardly ever call that arm on the waist, but on the shoulder is easy to see with their limited acuity.

I don't think the refs throw the flag on that play if this game is a playoff game. 

I didn't like how Norman got in the Phins WR face after a good play, i agree with Simon on this one.  

2 hours ago, Simon said:

Do none of you remember his first year in Washington, last game of the season when they needed to win in Week 17 to get in?

Josh Norman took two selfish, idiotic dead-ball personal fouls that hurt his team badly in a game where they lost and were eliminated.

I don't want that immature dipstick anywhere near the field next week.

You and scottlaw seem to be of one mind here. I respectfully ask you to think about that.

Depends on the type of game the refs call.  Playoffs refs usually let them play more.  That would favor Normans style.  He attacks the football better than Wallace.  I could see Norman making a play or two if Buffalo makes a long run.

Edited by Mat68

4 hours ago, fasteddie said:

If he had the back arm on the waist and not the shoulder, it most likely would not have been called. Refs hardly ever call that arm on the waist, but on the shoulder is easy to see with their limited acuity.

He got a PI and also had a pick. I thought on the whole he had a decent game along with Jackson. Like our DB but the other teams make plays as well. So I think Bills are strong in back 4-5.